Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:52 PM   #251
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hill View Post
So I'm wondering where all of these slow selling or low demand for iPhones is? I still can't seem to find any of them in stock at any stores except the pathetic Sprint model that no one wants. Tried to get one for $127 from this Walmart deal but they are all sold out. Tried best buy and they are too except for the 64gb and the Sprint models.
weird

NYC you can walk into any best buy and just buy one
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:08 PM   #252
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Several things are up (or more accurately down)...
Peak iPhone? My MacBook is reaching 5.5 years old now. Apple gimps and updates hardware/software to strongly encourage upgrading but I know people just getting brand new iPhone 4s and telling me how it is the best thing since the talkie.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:18 PM   #253
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt134 View Post
Apple in the Walmart's discount bin. The end is surely near.
I guess they need to change the site name from MacRumors to MacFUD. This thread is seriously getting comical now.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:39 PM   #254
MarioS
macrumors newbie

I can almost guarantee people will lose their **** once they hear about this sale.
MarioS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:55 PM   #255
Jason Garza
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Going to overpriced stores never helped anyone get rich.
My high school economics teacher always said "You can't spend yourself rich.".
Jason Garza is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:04 PM   #256
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned

Quote:
Several things are up (or more accurately down)...
Priceless how they tried to spin it at AI where a few months ago they were posting anal-yst's forecasts of apple hitting $1000.

Quote:
Apple's China reservation system again cuts down on lines, scalpers for iPhone 5

As the iPhone 5 went on sale Friday, lines at retail stores were again subdued compared to previous product launches, as Apple's new reservation system prevented excitement from turning into potentially dangerous crowds.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:21 PM   #257
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

I will be saving so much money but I will be robbed by the people waiting in the Walmart parking lot.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:24 PM   #258
IzzyJG99
macrumors 6502

I'd get the iPhone 5, since as of this week I am due for a renewal of my contract. Problem of course is Wal-Mart's cellphone department is inept and signed me up once for 10 extra lines I didn't have. So I stick to the slightly less inept AT&T store.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:25 PM   #259
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnic247 View Post
Just got a white 16 att total with tax $135.
True, one of my good friends, went to our local Walmart. In just 20 minutes he was out with a spanking new iPhone 5 at the discounted price. No problems. But then again, this store is in the nice part of town, and has well trained employees.

The question that comes to my mind is this: what will the Walmart price do to the resale of iPhone 5?

Each year it's a well known practice to sell ones current iPhone at a handsome price, which usually covers most of the cost of a new one. Thereby enabling many to upgrade yearly without dealing with the eligibility issue.

Chime in with your thoughts about the impact this may or may not have on resale.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:30 PM   #260
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
True, one of my good friends, went to our local Walmart. In just 20 minutes he was out with a spanking new iPhone 5 at the discounted price. No problems. But then again, this store is in the nice part of town, and has well trained employees.

The question that comes to my mind is this: what will the Walmart price do to the resale of iPhone 5?

Each year it's a well known practice to sell ones current iPhone at a handsome price, which usually covers most of the cost of a new one. Thereby enabling many to upgrade yearly without dealing with the eligibility issue.

Chime in with your thoughts about the impact this may or may not have on resale.
Walmart is selling the phone for $72 less than the regular price. We don't know long it will be available at this price. And the majority of the places selling the iPhone 5 are still selling it for the $199. Unless everyone starts discounting it, I would think that there will be a minimal impact on resale.

IMHO, the biggest thing that could impact resale will be the frequency of Apple updating the phone. If they start updating every 6 months, resale value may drop.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:38 PM   #261
Konrad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedario View Post
Walmart is for poor people.
...and poor people think of current gadgets as a status enhancement. In reality, most of the current trendy/disposable gadgetry inventory is purchased by low income individuals.
Konrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:51 PM   #262
cmcclure16
macrumors regular

So has anyone who bought in on the Best Buy sale been able to go to them with a price match?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:57 PM   #263
Konrad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Moot. I already pay the monthly fee. I want a new iPhone. I have the 4. So... I can go to Walmart and pay $129 or I can go to Apple Store (farther) and pay $199. Or I can order online and save $4 in gas.

They give me no discount for not being under contract. The best way to get the most for your money is to update as soon as allowed. Typically 18-20mo. The instant you do that, AT&T are in the hole to Apple ~$400 for their subsidized portion. The rates are the same regardless.
Schmoot. Cool, while at the romantic and stylish WM, get a newest cuckoo clock, a lovely set of hipster kitchen pots and a nice poster of Patagonia, since you are not going to travel there anytime soon having to save the $4 on gas. The best way for the money is not to have to have it. If one has to deliberate on the economics of $4, or $40 on a $700 device and extensively write about it, acquiring it is an absurd idea. As for the rates, they are simply too high in contrast to other western markets. International roaming and coverage are not that good, international data charges are from the moon.
Konrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:09 PM   #264
afawcett
macrumors member

I was hoping they would discount the 32GB iPhone 5, but after reading most of the comments it doesn't look like they did. I bought my iPhone 5 from the Apple Store 12 days ago. After seeing it go on sale at several different vendors, I decided to return my iPhone to Apple and buy it somewhere cheaper.

On an interesting note sales tax is paid on the full value of the phone, which on a 32GB iPhone 5 is $749. Sales tax in San Diego is 7.75%.
Quote:
7.75% * 749 = $58.05
I paid $58.05 in sales tax when I bought the iPhone 5 from Apple. However, at Best I paid approximately $69 in sales tax which results in 9.21%. I don't know what black magic Best Buy is working, but at least I saved $39.
afawcett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:11 PM   #265
vlj9r
macrumors member

Sam's club has the iphone 5 16 gig for $127 and free activation this weekend.
vlj9r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:14 PM   #266
Ubba23
macrumors newbie

I work at Sams club and the price is the same $127. The price is good through Dec.31 and we are getting a Hugh shipment in this next week! Don't got to Walmart too busy!
Ubba23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:51 PM   #267
aarmstrong27
macrumors regular

They did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclure16 View Post
Ugh I just bought an iPhone 5 from Best Buy a couple of hours ago at the $150 price. Do they do a price guarantee if I find it cheaper elsewhere? If so, how do I prove it to them? It doesn't list a price on the WalMart site.
I don't know if anyone answered your question yet but YES, BestBuy will refund the difference. I bought 32Gb yesterday (12/14) for $249, then saw this post today. Went back in today (12/15) and they refunded me $22+tax for the price-match. :-)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post
Will ATT price match?
Absolutely not. Unfortunately AT&T CANNOT price-match ANY Apple product. (Worked as a store manager for 7 years spanning 1st-4th iPhones)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Will best buy match walmart's prices?
Yes. Which is good, since every Wally World around me is already out of stock, but the Best Buys still have plenty.
aarmstrong27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:52 PM   #268
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubba23 View Post
I work at Sams club and the price is the same $127. The price is good through Dec.31 and we are getting a Hugh shipment in this next week! Don't got to Walmart too busy!
You're getting a huge shipment in of a phone that supposedly is not selling (and thus has to be discounted at Walmart/Sams Club)? That's interesting.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:04 PM   #269
aarmstrong27
macrumors regular

Quote:
So has anyone who bought in on the Best Buy sale been able to go to them with a price match?
Yep. Did it today. (As seen above.)
aarmstrong27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:31 PM   #270
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
You're getting a huge shipment in of a phone that supposedly is not selling (and thus has to be discounted at Walmart/Sams Club)? That's interesting.
You don't understand marketing very well. Look at the new pricing for the Galaxy S3 16gb $ 49 to $79 on Amazon. Plus look at all of the free advertising generated. Well played I'd say.
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:16 PM   #271
cmcclure16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarmstrong27 View Post
Yep. Did it today. (As seen above.)
Just curious, what did you use to price match? Did you just tell them or show them the FB post? The website doesn't have a price and there's not ad for it.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:58 PM   #272
kkent25
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectime View Post
You don't understand marketing very well. Look at the new pricing for the Galaxy S3 16gb $ 49 to $79 on Amazon. Plus look at all of the free advertising generated. Well played I'd say.
If you look at Apple's brand strategy over the years this Wall Mart move seems really strange. Reducing price on a just released product during the hottest retail sales month of the year does not compute. I don't recall Apple ever doing this.
kkent25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:20 PM   #273
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkent25 View Post
If you look at Apple's brand strategy over the years this Wall Mart move seems really strange. Reducing price on a just released product during the hottest retail sales month of the year does not compute. I don't recall Apple ever doing this.
It does compute - sales are way below expectations, the channel is full of product (not necessarily in every store at every moment, but there's more in the production pipeline than can be sold without fire-sale discounts), Apple has cut production orders by 25%, the Maps fiasco, a generally "meh?" upgrade, killer products from the competition....

Apple's stock is going to get hammered on Monday when all of this "Friday bad news" sinks in. Say "hello again" to the $400 range...

The only good news for Apple recently is that the Google Maps app was released.
AidenShaw is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:36 PM   #274
bookwrath
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Ugh I just bought an iPhone 5 from Best Buy a couple of hours ago at the $150 price. Do they do a price guarantee if I find it cheaper elsewhere? If so, how do I prove it to them? It doesn't list a price on the WalMart site.

Best Buy will price match on it. I bought an iPhone 5 from Best Buy yesterday around noon, saw the Walmart price and then went back in that evening for a price match. They did the price match pretty much based off of the news stories and what Walmart posted on Facebook. No hassle whatsoever.
bookwrath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:34 PM   #275
kkent25
macrumors member

Quote:
It does compute - sales are way below expectations, the channel is full of product (not necessarily in every store at every moment, but there's more in the production pipeline than can be sold without fire-sale discounts), Apple has cut production orders by 25%, the Maps fiasco, a generally "meh?" upgrade, killer products from the competition....

Apple's stock is going to get hammered on Monday when all of this "Friday bad news" sinks in. Say "hello again" to the $400 range...

The only good news for Apple recently is that the Google Maps app was released.
Okay, my bad then. I didn't realize Apple released sells numbers on the iPhone 5.
kkent25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion