Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:30 PM   #76
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
well if they just cut component orders it probably means they are expecting to make/sell less product than they planned last week or a few weeks ago when they first put the orders in?
Again, the report was that they aren't able to assemble them fast enough. The same report confirmed that demand remains strong.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:32 PM   #77
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

So has anyone been to a walmart that offered these prices on the phones or ipad???
SchuettS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:36 PM   #78
NOV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedOrc View Post
Thats a pretty deep discounts for something so new and supposedly selling like hotcakes this holidays. Did Apple overestimated their production over demands of iGadgets?
Of course they did. The gold rush is over.

Music website
NOV is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:38 PM   #79
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defactomonkey View Post
If you hate walmart print out the ad and take it to the apple store they match in store promotions on apple products. I know this cause I worked there for a year and though we didn't publicize it we would take the discount off when people asked.
Nope, they don't do that anymore.
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:38 PM   #80
Ubele
macrumors 6502

WalMart's Web site says that all iPhone 5's are $50 off with a contract. There's also a disclaimer that says individual promotions and availability may vary from store to store. There's no reference to the $127 sale. If you do a search, all the results are for this same news flash, which has been posted at various sites. Has anyone actually gotten this deal? I wonder if it's an erroneous story that's just been posted and reposted.
Ubele is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:43 PM   #81
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectime View Post
Galaxy S3 16GB $49 to $79 on Amazon
Note 2 $149 to $199
Your only mocking yourself
You missed my point entirely. Congratulations.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:49 PM   #82
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned

ios 6 and imaps befit walmart stores. Find your local one (via google maps) and grab a bargain!
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:50 PM   #83
mjtomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedOrc View Post
Thats a pretty deep discounts for something so new and supposedly selling like hotcakes this holidays. Did Apple overestimated their production over demands of iGadgets?
There's this thing in the US (not sure about the rest of the world), called the Holiday Season, where retailers offer huge discounts on popular products to build traffic in their stores. This is Business 101. If you can lure someone into your store for a specific product, chances are they may buy other stuff as well.

"Buy One, Get One Free" is usually a good sign of clearing out stock.
mjtomlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:50 PM   #84
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Swamp prices for swamp people..
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:52 PM   #85
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and get the 4th gen iPad.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:53 PM   #86
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

NBC news is reporting that Wal-Mart will offer the 16gb iPad with retina display for $399 plus a $30 iTunes gift card. It says the discounts would start immediately with the $30 gift card starting on Monday.

It's a great deal, even if it's on the 3rd generation and should sell a lot of iPads.
jmgregory1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:53 PM   #87
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Again, the report was that they aren't able to assemble them fast enough. The same report confirmed that demand remains strong.
So bargain basement prices at walmart are helping demand remain strong you mean?
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:59 PM   #88
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
The discount offered is nothing when you take into account the total that will need to be paid over the two-years contract.
Oh, who offers free service??? That's like saying buying a car is a waste because you have the cost of gas over it's service. Why buy a TV when you have to purchase a service/buy Blu-rays to watch anything on it You get a cheaper phone if you agree to keep service for 2 years. If you bring your own device you're still playing the same amount but can cancel service at anytime.

I've had my service since it was Bell south over 15 years. I have to have a cell phone and the other services in my area are lacking. I going to have the service and might was well take a discount on a device. Is everyone's subsidies somewhat included in the service cost? Yeah, but since phones keep good value most of the time you can upgrade for free every 2 years or you can even make some of that money back.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:59 PM   #89
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

I just got back from my local, friendly Walmart. There were 4 employees behind the counter in Electronics and 2 customers being rung up. After several minutes, one of them asked if she could help me. I asked if they had any iPad 4's. She gave my a completely puzzled look and went to ask another employee if they had any. He pointed her to the counter where I was standing and said check in there. She said, I don't have a key. She walks out from behind the counter and disappears for a few minutes, then returns with a ring of keys. She fumbles with a half a dozen keys or so and finally opens the cabinet and removes a box containing some type of iPad.

She looks the box over, then takes it to another employee and asks if it is an iPad 4. He hands here a scanning gun and tells her to check. After several unsuccessful attempts to scan it, she goes back and asks for help again, then returns. She finally came close enough so that I could see the box. I read the fine print by the UPC and it said iPad 2. She proceeds to attempt to scan it, again without success. I look at the box, it says iPad 2. After taking a few more boxes out from under the counter, all iPad 2's, she asks someone else for help. He says that they don't have any iPad 4 wifi's, just cellular. I ask if he knew about the supposed sale, he said no.

I told him that they have the iPhone 5 on display at the sale price, he tells me that they have never had an iPhone 5 in the store to sell. I asked when they would be getting the iPads and iPhones, he didn't know. And then the gem of gems, he told me that the iPad 5 was the one that was going to come in the neon colors!

I wasted 20+ minutes there and found out nothing. And people think Best Buy is bad.
AppleScruff1 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:06 PM   #90
JAT
In Time-Out

Just wanted 2 of the most virulent users of sarcasm at MacRumors to meet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Knuckle dragging sub-humans shouldn't be allowed to buy Precious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
I just got back from my local, friendly Walmart. There were 4 employees behind the counter in Electronics and 2 customers being rung up. After several minutes, one of them asked if she could help me. I asked if they had any iPad 4's. She gave my a completely puzzled look and went to ask another employee if they had any. He pointed her to the counter where I was standing and said check in there. She said, I don't have a key. She walks out from behind the counter and disappears for a few minutes, then returns with a ring of keys. She fumbles with a half a dozen keys or so and finally opens the cabinet and removes a box containing some type of iPad.

She looks the box over, then takes it to another employee and asks if it is an iPad 4. He hands here a scanning gun and tells her to check. After several unsuccessful attempts to scan it, she goes back and asks for help again, then returns. She finally came close enough so that I could see the box. I read the fine print by the UPC and it said iPad 2. She proceeds to attempt to scan it, again without success. I look at the box, it says iPad 2. After taking a few more boxes out from under the counter, all iPad 2's, she asks someone else for help. He says that they don't have any iPad 4 wifi's, just cellular. I ask if he knew about the supposed sale, he said no.

I told him that they have the iPhone 5 on display at the sale price, he tells me that they have never had an iPhone 5 in the store to sell. I asked when they would be getting the iPads and iPhones, he didn't know. And then the gem of gems, he told me that the iPad 5 was the one that was going to come in the neon colors!

I wasted 20+ minutes there and found out nothing. And people think Best Buy is bad.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:06 PM   #91
meaty
macrumors member

is this for AT&T? how much would it cost to cancel after buying?
meaty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:07 PM   #92
slabwax
macrumors member

Maybe Walmart should charge a few bucks more and pay their employes a living wage. Just a thought.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:09 PM   #93
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I wouldn't expect anything more from Wal-Mart staff. They're not hired to be experts in a particular department (although they used to actually do that decades ago). You can check inventory levels for a particular store on their site, before driving there and having to deal with any inept workers.

Frankly, I don't believe they'd be selling the iPad 4's at $399 if they're still sitting on 2's at $399 (their current price). That makes no sense at all. They might as well lower the price of the 2's and just sell everything they have, but if it's true that Apple is collaborating with Wal-Mart on this sale, they could be simply trying to push the sale of the 4's up.
jmgregory1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:10 PM   #94
burnout8488
macrumors 6502a

Still $499 at a central PA Wal Mart. Wish the update to this post contained info on when the 4th gen iPad is going on sale. Seems like a lot of MR readers are wasting their time!
burnout8488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:10 PM   #95
chrisbru
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
So bargain basement prices at walmart are helping demand remain strong you mean?
Who cares what Walmart sells them for? Apple definitely doesn't... They make the same per product whether Walmart sells them for full price or at a discount.
chrisbru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:11 PM   #96
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Just wanted 2 of the most virulent users of sarcasm at MacRumors to meet.
But I'm not being sarcastic, this is exactly how it happened.
AppleScruff1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:12 PM   #97
brudog68
macrumors 6502

Rumors of retina on the Mini...anticipating the exodus!
brudog68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:16 PM   #98
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

I was hoping that the iPad sale would be confirmed. There is no credible source that it is on sale.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:19 PM   #99
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I was hoping that the iPad sale would be confirmed. There is no credible source that it is on sale.
I agree - and chances are unfortunately good that even the Wal-Mart spokesperson doesn't know the difference between an iPad 2 and a 4.
jmgregory1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:22 PM   #100
Cjet500
macrumors newbie

so I went to 3 different stores near me(Fort Worth, TX) and they all never heard of it although the iphone 5s are $127.

And here's another twist on this story. LA times says $399 for 3rd gen ipads....
I'm so confused now.
http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...,1234780.story
Cjet500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion