Best mouse - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Wee Weasley
macrumors newbie

Best mouse

OK so here I am with a 6 year old Logitech gaming mouse which is laser illuminated and was about £50 back in the day. It didn't work with the Mac until I bought USB Overdrive for $20.

My question now, imminently to unpack a 680me equipped 27 inch leviathan - do I need a new mouse and how do I get USB overdrive onto the new machine in such a way as to support my current mouse?

I cannot remeber my USB Overdrive username or password. I questions whether the program is even necessary on a new machine?

I love my current mouse. If needed - which wired mouse would be your choice and why??

Thanks,

WW
Wee Weasley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
jedolley
macrumors 68000

If I was using a wired mouse I would use a Razer DeathAdder. No need for USB Overdrive as Razer supports Macs. The only reason I sold mine was because I wanted wireless.
jedolley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:57 PM   #3
tubbymac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedolley View Post
If I was using a wired mouse I would use a Razer DeathAdder. No need for USB Overdrive as Razer supports Macs. The only reason I sold mine was because I wanted wireless.
Thumbs up for the Razer DeathAdder. That's the mouse I use as well for gaming on my iMac. Just plug it in through USB and it works - no need for drivers or USB overdrive.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Jazwire
macrumors 6502a

Razer mice are great, I got the Razer Naga and I love it.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Scrapula
macrumors 6502

My husband and nephews use Razer Mamba mice, but they are too big for my small hands. I have a Razer Orochi, which is a laptop mouse and small enough to fit my hand. It's Bluetooth wireless and I got a cool black chrome color. I only turn it on and use it for gaming.
Scrapula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:53 AM   #6
Gascogne
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to Gascogne Send a message via MSN to Gascogne
Logitech G9X is my choice.
Gascogne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:12 AM   #7
boto
macrumors 6502

I would recommend the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX or the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. Both devices are wireless options but are one of the best in the market. Between these 2, I personally liked the performance mouse better with added functionality, comfort, and a USB cable to charge. Both mouses do require batteries though, 1 for the performance (rechargeable) and 2 for the anywhere mouse. However, if you are like me, I would purchase eneloop rechargeable batteries to save on costs and always remain wireless.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:14 AM   #8
FFabian
macrumors member

I have a Logitech Anywhere MX (not a gaming mouse). I use the Magic Mouse for work related stuff and the Logitech for gaming in OSX and Bootcamp. You all seem to not use any drivers and just plug your mouse into the USB. My problem is my Logitech Mouse is slightly too fast when running OSX and there seems no way to adjust this without additional software. I already use Better Touch Tools to ramp UP the speed for the Magic Mouse.
FFabian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:20 AM   #9
mlamb64150
macrumors member

I have a Death Adder, big thumbs up.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:24 AM   #10
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Death Adder here as well... works fine for two years, but two minor glitches:
1. sometimes (once in 3 months?) mouse does not respon and i have to unplug and plug it
2. there was glitch with blizzard games, after running wow,d3 or sc, mouse was too fast in mac os x, i have solved it somehow, but dont know how (i just probable did not instal razer mouse utility)
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:24 PM   #11
jedolley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkom View Post
Death Adder here as well... works fine for two years, but two minor glitches:
1. sometimes (once in 3 months?) mouse does not respon and i have to unplug and plug it
2. there was glitch with blizzard games, after running wow,d3 or sc, mouse was too fast in mac os x, i have solved it somehow, but dont know how (i just probable did not instal razer mouse utility)
Never had either problem with my DeathAdder (Black Edition).

Quote:
Originally Posted by boto View Post
I would recommend the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX or the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. Both devices are wireless options but are one of the best in the market. Between these 2, I personally liked the performance mouse better with added functionality, comfort, and a USB cable to charge. Both mouses do require batteries though, 1 for the performance (rechargeable) and 2 for the anywhere mouse. However, if you are like me, I would purchase eneloop rechargeable batteries to save on costs and always remain wireless.
I currently use the Performance MX, but did not recommend it because the OP stated he wanted a wired mouse. I am really like the mouse, and it's DPI is just good enough to be decent for most games. I really like my DeathAdder, but wanted wireless and more functionality. I would have gone Mamba again, but battery life on the Mamba is pretty horrible.

Logitech is a strange company when it comes to the Mac. They support the Mac, but not with any of their "gaming" products. I really wish they would take a page out of Razer's book and just support the Mac with all their computer products (I specified because Razer has console products that are obviously not Mac compatible).
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

I“m very happy with the Anywhere mouse from logitech. Doesn“t need a mousepad and it doesn“t have a ton of ugly buttons and air vent holes and ugly design. Minimalistic, wireless but still not a bad mouse such as the magic mouse is.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:31 PM   #13
gagaliya
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Weasley View Post
OK so here I am with a 6 year old Logitech gaming mouse which is laser illuminated and was about £50 back in the day. It didn't work with the Mac until I bought USB Overdrive for $20.

My question now, imminently to unpack a 680me equipped 27 inch leviathan - do I need a new mouse and how do I get USB overdrive onto the new machine in such a way as to support my current mouse?

I cannot remeber my USB Overdrive username or password. I questions whether the program is even necessary on a new machine?

I love my current mouse. If needed - which wired mouse would be your choice and why??

Thanks,

WW
best wired mouse - price/performance value + style + mac white color + mac/windows compatibility is rat 7 albino edition.

gagaliya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:41 PM   #14
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

not wired, but the Logitech Performance MX is a GREAT mouse. Been using it since it came out and the Revolution MX before it for years.
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Ryan.Tanner
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
best wired mouse - price/performance value + style + mac white color + mac/windows compatibility is rat 7 albino edition.

While I can't speak at all about the performance of that mouse, that thing is ugly. It looks incomplete and I can't see how that looks comfortable.

That being said, I'm not doubting its performance.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:53 PM   #16
gagaliya
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Tanner View Post
While I can't speak at all about the performance of that mouse, that thing is ugly. It looks incomplete and I can't see how that looks comfortable.

That being said, I'm not doubting its performance.
it's actually one of the most comfortable mouses, you can fully adjust its weight, hand rest etc..to fit your hand/preference exactly.

The style obviously is a personal choice, but i thought it looks pretty cool and different and fits well with the imac.
gagaliya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Ryan.Tanner
macrumors regular

Quote:
it's actually one of the most comfortable mouses, you can fully adjust its weight, hand rest etc..to fit your hand/preference exactly.

The style obviously is a personal choice, but i thought it looks pretty cool and different and fits well with the imac.
Good to know. My bro-in-law wants that mouse.

I agree though, finding a white gaming mouse to match the iMac is hard to do, and that mouse would look great with an iMac.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:58 PM   #18
jedolley
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I really wanted to like this mouse, but I did not find it that comfortable. For one thing, it's kind of a flat mouse, with almost zero rise in the back. There is a back you can swap out that raises it a little, but it doesn't make much of a difference.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:00 PM   #19
Ryan.Tanner
macrumors regular

Since we're speaking of mice...

Can you have two wireless mice running at the same time on OSX?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:19 PM   #20
mac.ross
macrumors member

Avoid the new 2013 Razer Deathadder like the plague.

It is bundled with 'Synapse 2.0' software which means that any of your mouse settings will only work if you are constantly connected to the Razer servers.

The older Deathadder 3.5G is a much better buy.

Logitech have brilliant mice and even better customer support though - always better than the crappy Razer support.
mac.ross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:35 PM   #21
sjz88
macrumors member

Quote:

You got things wrong. This is not a mouse, it's a space station!
sjz88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:43 PM   #22
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

I am using my $20 Microsoft mouse Works well, and right click works without a problem without the need to hold down command button
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:44 PM   #23
boto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Tanner View Post
Since we're speaking of mice...

Can you have two wireless mice running at the same time on OSX?
Yes, if we're talking about Logitech mouses. I have tested my Logitech Anywhere and Performance Mouse MX on one single USB receiver and they both are operational simultaneously on OSX, but you will need Logitech's setpoint/control center software.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:12 PM   #24
jedolley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.ross View Post
Avoid the new 2013 Razer Deathadder like the plague.

It is bundled with 'Synapse 2.0' software which means that any of your mouse settings will only work if you are constantly connected to the Razer servers.
That's a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.ross View Post
Logitech have brilliant mice and even better customer support though - always better than the crappy Razer support.
But Logitech doesn't support Mac gamers. I have never had any issue with Razer mice or their support. Whatever the issue with Razer, at least they support Mac gamers.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:13 PM   #25
Gelite55
macrumors regular

Get a magic trackpad.
Gelite55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac