Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wee Weasley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
OK so here I am with a 6 year old Logitech gaming mouse which is laser illuminated and was about £50 back in the day. It didn't work with the Mac until I bought USB Overdrive for $20.

My question now, imminently to unpack a 680me equipped 27 inch leviathan - do I need a new mouse and how do I get USB overdrive onto the new machine in such a way as to support my current mouse?

I cannot remeber my USB Overdrive username or password. I questions whether the program is even necessary on a new machine?

I love my current mouse. If needed - which wired mouse would be your choice and why??

Thanks,

WW

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
If I was using a wired mouse I would use a Razer DeathAdder. No need for USB Overdrive as Razer supports Macs. The only reason I sold mine was because I wanted wireless.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
If I was using a wired mouse I would use a Razer DeathAdder. No need for USB Overdrive as Razer supports Macs. The only reason I sold mine was because I wanted wireless.

Thumbs up for the Razer DeathAdder. That's the mouse I use as well for gaming on my iMac. Just plug it in through USB and it works - no need for drivers or USB overdrive.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
My husband and nephews use Razer Mamba mice, but they are too big for my small hands. I have a Razer Orochi, which is a laptop mouse and small enough to fit my hand. It's Bluetooth wireless and I got a cool black chrome color. I only turn it on and use it for gaming.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I would recommend the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX or the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. Both devices are wireless options but are one of the best in the market. Between these 2, I personally liked the performance mouse better with added functionality, comfort, and a USB cable to charge. Both mouses do require batteries though, 1 for the performance (rechargeable) and 2 for the anywhere mouse. However, if you are like me, I would purchase eneloop rechargeable batteries to save on costs and always remain wireless.

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
I have a Logitech Anywhere MX (not a gaming mouse). I use the Magic Mouse for work related stuff and the Logitech for gaming in OSX and Bootcamp. You all seem to not use any drivers and just plug your mouse into the USB. My problem is my Logitech Mouse is slightly too fast when running OSX and there seems no way to adjust this without additional software. I already use Better Touch Tools to ramp UP the speed for the Magic Mouse.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Death Adder here as well... works fine for two years, but two minor glitches:
1. sometimes (once in 3 months?) mouse does not respon and i have to unplug and plug it
2. there was glitch with blizzard games, after running wow,d3 or sc, mouse was too fast in mac os x, i have solved it somehow, but dont know how (i just probable did not instal razer mouse utility)

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Death Adder here as well... works fine for two years, but two minor glitches:
1. sometimes (once in 3 months?) mouse does not respon and i have to unplug and plug it
2. there was glitch with blizzard games, after running wow,d3 or sc, mouse was too fast in mac os x, i have solved it somehow, but dont know how (i just probable did not instal razer mouse utility)

Never had either problem with my DeathAdder (Black Edition).

I would recommend the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX or the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. Both devices are wireless options but are one of the best in the market. Between these 2, I personally liked the performance mouse better with added functionality, comfort, and a USB cable to charge. Both mouses do require batteries though, 1 for the performance (rechargeable) and 2 for the anywhere mouse. However, if you are like me, I would purchase eneloop rechargeable batteries to save on costs and always remain wireless.

I currently use the Performance MX, but did not recommend it because the OP stated he wanted a wired mouse. I am really like the mouse, and it's DPI is just good enough to be decent for most games. I really like my DeathAdder, but wanted wireless and more functionality. I would have gone Mamba again, but battery life on the Mamba is pretty horrible.

Logitech is a strange company when it comes to the Mac. They support the Mac, but not with any of their "gaming" products. I really wish they would take a page out of Razer's book and just support the Mac with all their computer products (I specified because Razer has console products that are obviously not Mac compatible).

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I´m very happy with the Anywhere mouse from logitech. Doesn´t need a mousepad and it doesn´t have a ton of ugly buttons and air vent holes and ugly design. Minimalistic, wireless but still not a bad mouse such as the magic mouse is.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
OK so here I am with a 6 year old Logitech gaming mouse which is laser illuminated and was about £50 back in the day. It didn't work with the Mac until I bought USB Overdrive for $20.

My question now, imminently to unpack a 680me equipped 27 inch leviathan - do I need a new mouse and how do I get USB overdrive onto the new machine in such a way as to support my current mouse?

I cannot remeber my USB Overdrive username or password. I questions whether the program is even necessary on a new machine?

I love my current mouse. If needed - which wired mouse would be your choice and why??

Thanks,

WW

best wired mouse - price/performance value + style + mac white color + mac/windows compatibility is rat 7 albino edition.

cyborg_rat_mouse1.jpg

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
not wired, but the Logitech Performance MX is a GREAT mouse. Been using it since it came out and the Revolution MX before it for years.

Ryan.Tanner

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
McKinney, TX
best wired mouse - price/performance value + style + mac white color + mac/windows compatibility is rat 7 albino edition.

While I can't speak at all about the performance of that mouse, that thing is ugly. It looks incomplete and I can't see how that looks comfortable.

That being said, I'm not doubting its performance.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
While I can't speak at all about the performance of that mouse, that thing is ugly. It looks incomplete and I can't see how that looks comfortable.

That being said, I'm not doubting its performance.

it's actually one of the most comfortable mouses, you can fully adjust its weight, hand rest etc..to fit your hand/preference exactly.

The style obviously is a personal choice, but i thought it looks pretty cool and different and fits well with the imac.

Ryan.Tanner

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
McKinney, TX
it's actually one of the most comfortable mouses, you can fully adjust its weight, hand rest etc..to fit your hand/preference exactly.

The style obviously is a personal choice, but i thought it looks pretty cool and different and fits well with the imac.

Good to know. My bro-in-law wants that mouse.

I agree though, finding a white gaming mouse to match the iMac is hard to do, and that mouse would look great with an iMac.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

I really wanted to like this mouse, but I did not find it that comfortable. For one thing, it's kind of a flat mouse, with almost zero rise in the back. There is a back you can swap out that raises it a little, but it doesn't make much of a difference.

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Avoid the new 2013 Razer Deathadder like the plague.

It is bundled with 'Synapse 2.0' software which means that any of your mouse settings will only work if you are constantly connected to the Razer servers.

The older Deathadder 3.5G is a much better buy.

Logitech have brilliant mice and even better customer support though - always better than the crappy Razer support.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I am using my $20 Microsoft mouse :D Works well, and right click works without a problem without the need to hold down command button:)

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Since we're speaking of mice...

Can you have two wireless mice running at the same time on OSX?

Yes, if we're talking about Logitech mouses. I have tested my Logitech Anywhere and Performance Mouse MX on one single USB receiver and they both are operational simultaneously on OSX, but you will need Logitech's setpoint/control center software.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Avoid the new 2013 Razer Deathadder like the plague.

It is bundled with 'Synapse 2.0' software which means that any of your mouse settings will only work if you are constantly connected to the Razer servers.

That's a shame.

Logitech have brilliant mice and even better customer support though - always better than the crappy Razer support.
But Logitech doesn't support Mac gamers. I have never had any issue with Razer mice or their support. Whatever the issue with Razer, at least they support Mac gamers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.