Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yougotcarved

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I'm going to get a top end 27" iMac. Initially I was going to upgrade the processor and video card and get a Fusion drive...however now I'm pretty sure I need the 768Gb flash option so I'm now desperately trying to cut back the other things so I don't blow too much dollar.

I think the processor upgrade is worthwhile because of hyperthreading, for £120 I can basically double the number of cores I have (albeit in a virtual sense).

So I'm thinking: how great is the advantage of upgrading the graphics card from the 675MX with 1GB to the 680MX with 2GB? I don't actually understand what having a better graphics card actually means. I mostly game on consoles, though I may fancy getting a new game every now and then but not really looking for big MMORPG or the latest ultra graphics games.

Is it worth upgrading if nothing else than to future proof? Is the 675MX with 1gb a good enough card for the occasional gamer or is it really worth putting a bit more cash to get the 680 with 2GB?

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
I'm in a similar position to the OP, i've ordered the top end 27" with all the bits and pieces minus the 2GB graphics card.

I want a fast system, but as I only play things like football manager and occasional light 3D gaming I didn't really see the need for the upgrade.

If I want to play a game, I'll jump on my Xbox at the end of the day.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
The question is, it may not be what you need now, but how long to you plan on keeping the machine? 4 years from now that graphics card upgrade you didn't get might be the reason you need to get a new machine sooner then later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.