Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ynotplay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Hi everyone, I am having issues getting my iMac with Mountain Lion installed to boot up.

I followed threads on various forums including the one on Apple and was on the verge of giving up but I was able to get the computer to boot up with option start. My internal drive didn't show up in the Option/Start screen but I started Disk Utility with by clicking on my Time Machine drive.

In Disk Utility, I can see the internal drive but says "Partition Map Scheme: Unformatted" plus it wouldn't let me verify disk or repair because its grayed out. I also noticed that there is a drive called "disk2" with an icon of the globe. One levee down is Mac OS X Base System formatted Mac OS Extended. Capacity is only 1.26 GB though.

This is driving me insane! Could something have wiped everything off my internal hard drive?

Process:

1. Computer suddenly froze while working on Illustrator. Tried to restart the computer but wouldn't.

2. Tried shift restart, took awhile but it made it to the user login screen. I was already in my bed when this happened so I didn't bother to get up and log in.

3. Woke up the next morning to the user login screen but the screen was frozen.

4. Tried restart again. Wouldn't work. Rebooted again. Apple logo on bootup gray screen wouldn't show. Instead it was a circle with diagonal line in it. Wouldn't bootup so tried the shift restart again but didn't work.

5. Reset PRAM, which worked but the computer wouldn't boot up. Now a Folder icon with ? mark.

6. Option key bootup. This took a really long time to load but eventually it brought up the screen that shows all bootable devices. Only my Time Machine external drive showed up. I clicked on it to see what would happen and I was eventually able to get to Disk Utility.

7. In Disk Utility, the internal drive is there, but it says

Partition Map Scheme: Unformatted. I also noticed that there is a drive called "disk2" with an icon of the globe. One levee down is Mac OS X Base System formatted Mac OS Extended. Capacity is only 1.26 GB though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.