Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1
UKPoliticsGuy
macrumors member

Best video player on iPad

Where's VLC and AV Player gone? I had always thought they were available on the App Store.

Seems they are not, what are your best suggestions for apps to play videos on the iPad?
UKPoliticsGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:10 PM   #2
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

In for a solution as well... I use to use buzz player
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3
kevroc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPoliticsGuy View Post
Where's VLC and AV Player gone? I had always thought they were available on the App Store.

Seems they are not, what are your best suggestions for apps to play videos on the iPad?
Cineplayer is pretty good. At least you can play mkv files and have it connect to your dropbox account. Outside of that it's pretty slim. I wish they had some of the android players on iOS, I love the ability to swipe to control volume and seek the video, the scrubbing on the built-in video player is horrible at best.
kevroc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Nitirma
macrumors newbie

I use AVS Media Player, it plays pretty much anything. And It is free.
Nitirma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:46 AM   #5
yegon
macrumors 68000

AVPlayerHD by some margin. Tried a few, this is by far the best in my opinion at playing back locally stored content. Supports hardware decoding of mkv's. For streaming, look elsewhere.

Be aware that most players don't support AC3 audio due to licensing issues. AVPlayerHd does. It disappeared off the store for ages for this reason, but returned a month or so ago.

Last edited by yegon; Jan 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:52 AM   #6
brand
macrumors 68040

Plex
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
trouble747
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitirma View Post
I use AVS Media Player, it plays pretty much anything. And It is free.
This is an iPad app?
trouble747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble747 View Post
This is an iPad app?
Did you find it in the App Store?
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:30 AM   #9
trouble747
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
Did you find it in the App Store?
No...but I expected to, given the name of this thread.
trouble747 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Che Castro
macrumors 601

imediaplayer
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:43 PM   #11
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

eXPlayer

It really depends on what your needs are. I have tried a few video players and all have their pros and cons.

I personally use eXPlayer because:

(1) I can skip forward and backward in a video using the scrubber bar and it always works. For some reason this seems to be a problematic feature in virtually all video players, even the venerable VLC desktop application.
(2) It supports the iPad's hardware video acceleration which provides smooth video and saves a ton of battery use. The vast majority of video apps do not use the iPad's acceleration so they drop frames on HQ video and blow away your battery.
(3) It supports SMB, so simply turn on file sharing for your Mac, PC, or SMB-capable NAS and you can view any video on your networked computer. This was crucial for me. I don't want to have to run separate server/multiplexing/DLNA/uPNP/proprietary apps on the computer; many of these tend to be buggy or have poor performance.
(4) There was a free, fully-featured trial version (limited to 10 mins) so you can test it with your specific files, networks, needs, etc., and know whether or not it will work for you before you pay for the full version. I am very grateful for this because so many video players promise the world but are disappointing.
(5) There is a combo app available so you can buy once for both iPad and iPhone/iPod, or you can save a little money and buy a separate app for just the device size you need. I like options.

The only drawback I can think of is no access away from home. That feature is not important to me, but if it is important to you, you'll want something else.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:55 AM   #12
fraggot
macrumors 6502

AVPlayerHD, it was gone for awhile but now is back. I use it on my phone all the time at work when I want to download a show and listen to it in the background, it plays most files.

Sometimes you'll see some stuttering but it's almost as if the phone is loading some of the video into memory for smoother playback, then it'll play fine.
fraggot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:47 PM   #13
Nitirma
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble747 View Post
This is an iPad app?
You can download it from its offcial website.
Nitirma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:39 AM   #14
navra233
macrumors newbie

Topplayer is a good video player for ipad. I do play movies, video songs over this player.

Last edited by navra233; Apr 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
navra233 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:36 PM   #15
Carroll276
macrumors newbie

Perian has been discontinued, so the best way to play AVI files is by using VLC. You can download it here (copy and paste this url into your browser): http://www.videonlan.org
Carroll276 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:22 PM   #16
flight
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carroll276 View Post
Perian has been discontinued, so the best way to play AVI files is by using VLC. You can download it here (copy and paste this url into your browser): http://www.videonlan.org
While it's an excellent video player for Mac, it's not available for iOS.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:44 AM   #17
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
AVPlayerHD by some margin. Tried a few, this is by far the best in my opinion at playing back locally stored content. Supports hardware decoding of mkv's. For streaming, look elsewhere.

Be aware that most players don't support AC3 audio due to licensing issues. AVPlayerHd does. It disappeared off the store for ages for this reason, but returned a month or so ago.
Second this. AVPlayerHD plays absolutely everything I've ever thrown at it.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 03:26 AM   #18
Rathrat
macrumors newbie

what is the file extension of the video?
Rathrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 04:18 AM   #19
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

I have used
1. CinexPlayer
2. AVplayerHD
3. built in Apple Player
4. VLC

I use mp4, mv4 and AVI files. I do not use MKV files. I do not use streaming. All content stored on my ipad 2.

I like Cinex the best. It's got a clean interface and easy to use swipe forward and back.

AVplayerHD often lost sync for me with my AVI files. Apart from that, I liked it.

Built in Player is solid, but with no swipe controls it's really limited and every time I use it for older files, I get frustrated.

VLC... well, it's old and I feel buggy. It also seemed to lack the clarity of AVpHD and Cinex.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:26 PM   #20
kamalds
macrumors regular

I use Oplayer hd on my iPad. Works for all files I tested, including vob files from DVDs.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 05:43 AM   #21
crashnburn
macrumors regular

Can any of them do variety of PLAYLISTS?

I'd like to use varying playlists for different workouts, music videos etc.

Last edited by crashnburn; Jul 3, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
crashnburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 04:37 PM   #22
scottw324
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
It really depends on what your needs are. I have tried a few video players and all have their pros and cons.

I personally use eXPlayer because:

(1) I can skip forward and backward in a video using the scrubber bar and it always works. For some reason this seems to be a problematic feature in virtually all video players, even the venerable VLC desktop application.
(2) It supports the iPad's hardware video acceleration which provides smooth video and saves a ton of battery use. The vast majority of video apps do not use the iPad's acceleration so they drop frames on HQ video and blow away your battery.
(3) It supports SMB, so simply turn on file sharing for your Mac, PC, or SMB-capable NAS and you can view any video on your networked computer. This was crucial for me. I don't want to have to run separate server/multiplexing/DLNA/uPNP/proprietary apps on the computer; many of these tend to be buggy or have poor performance.
(4) There was a free, fully-featured trial version (limited to 10 mins) so you can test it with your specific files, networks, needs, etc., and know whether or not it will work for you before you pay for the full version. I am very grateful for this because so many video players promise the world but are disappointing.
(5) There is a combo app available so you can buy once for both iPad and iPhone/iPod, or you can save a little money and buy a separate app for just the device size you need. I like options.

The only drawback I can think of is no access away from home. That feature is not important to me, but if it is important to you, you'll want something else.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a decent app. I use Airvideo for the most part for streaming my video content from my computer to my iPad. But I may give this a try too.
scottw324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad