Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProConArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
So i recently downloaded Private Eye and figured out that different programs on my computer are sending information out to random ip's. I tracked some of them as having to do with internet related companies like hawking tech and akamai technologies. here is a screenshot of the programs sending out information.
if anyone explain to me what this means it would be very helpful.

Screen Shot 2012-12-14 at 7.09.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-12-14 at 7.01.42 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Sending information out, or retrieving data from?

Post an example of an actual URL being used.

Akamai Technologies provides content-delivery services for a large number of other companies and websites. That is, instead of SomeCompany providing a URL to a somecompany.com server, it provides URLs to an akamai server that hosts SomeCompany's web content.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies

When I google for Hawking Tech, the first search result is a wireless router manufacturer. Could that be your router manufacturer?

ProConArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Only information bieng sent out here is an example:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-14 at 8.04.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-14 at 8.04.53 PM.png
    12 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-14 at 8.05.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-14 at 8.05.34 PM.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 104

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
ocspd is part of the security subsystem.

OCSP is the Online Certificate Status Protocol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Certificate_Status_Protocol

ocspd is the daemon responsible for getting some of the files used for performing OCSP checks:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/ocspd.1.html

I have seen ocspd getting various files, and it will do so at what I consider inopportune times. But that's just me. YMMV.

AFAICT, ocspd is not "sending" information, but I could be wrong. It's arguable that the act of fetching CRLs for OCSP purposes will leak information about your computer, such as its current externally visible IP-address. If you're concerned about this (or other possible information leaks), you need to get more details on what URL is being fetched.

ProConArt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
what i am really concerned about is that there isn't just ocspd but so many things sending out stuff constantly every time i do something.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If you want to block specific things, then get a blocker like Little Snitch. It will also let you allow specific things through.

I'm not familiar with Private Eye, so maybe it can do similar things. If so, then configure it to block specific things. If not, get something that can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.