Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a

iCloud email?

does any one really use iCloud email? I am thinking of using it for important emails like banking since Gmail is getting rid of Sync...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:48 PM   #2
hunterheath33
macrumors regular

I'm wondering this also
hunterheath33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3
monkey28rb
macrumors regular

I use it.. Works fine..
monkey28rb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502

There is no difference in iCloud email. iCloud email is just like Gmail, yahoo..etc. The only thing that separates it is that its Apple's email client.
hovscorpion12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:24 PM   #5
jediistar
macrumors 6502

While not really helping with the direct question, I've started to use it more and so far so good, but mostly I'd be curious to hear your feedback after a while.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:55 AM   #6
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

IMO, there are two problems with iCloud Mail:

1) It has a pretty limited feature set compared to the other free email services.

2) The web site is quite slow because of all of the effects that it uses.

I would take a look at Outlook.com

It's got Exchange ActiveSync support and a lot more features than iCloud.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:07 AM   #7
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
IMO, there are two problems with iCloud Mail:

1) It has a pretty limited feature set compared to the other free email services.

2) The web site is quite slow because of all of the effects that it uses.

I would take a look at Outlook.com

It's got Exchange ActiveSync support and a lot more features than iCloud.
I am being lazy here but can u list some features so I know which ones I am missing

Also on the other hand, you avoid the overhead of another account and services running on your device eating battery
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:25 AM   #8
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
does any one really use iCloud email? I am thinking of using it for important emails like banking since Gmail is getting rid of Sync...
If you have a current email gmail address then you will never loose sync. Only when creating a new email address in 2013 will result in lose of sync feature. Even if you do create an email address in 2013 you still can sync , there just is another way to do it like so
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:53 AM   #9
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
Existing accounts can still use exchange active sync.
Regardless, the gmail app has push, and iOS supports contacts and calendar via caldav and carddav. Google dropping AES support next year is really a non-issue.
bjb.butler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:03 AM   #10
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
I don't. If I ever needed to use it, it would be perfect for a backup email.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:08 AM   #11
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Yes. I use it for my main personal email account.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:14 AM   #12
rmwebs
Banned

Dont use it if you care about keeping a long-term record of all your emails.

Also, dont use it if you're outside North America - it's slow as hell.

If you're after a free account, Gmail or Outlook are much better options.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:26 AM   #13
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Dont use it if you care about keeping a long-term record of all your emails.

Also, dont use it if you're outside North America - it's slow as hell.

If you're after a free account, Gmail or Outlook are much better options.
How long does Apple keeps email backups?? Doesn't the amount of time really just depend on how much space you're using. On top of that. nyemail that's over a year old should either be printed or put in cloud storage if its that important. Just my opinion but I'm a bit OCD with a clean and organized email.

Don't see it being slow at all outside the US. I've repeatedly sent emails to a couple buddy's of mine in Kuwait and they get them just as fast as they come through here. Vice versa. If you're talking about the Web the yes. It's dreadfully slow anywhere although it has gotten better but it's still a PITA to use on a website.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:52 AM   #14
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
How long does Apple keeps email backups?? Doesn't the amount of time really just depend on how much space you're using. On top of that. nyemail that's over a year old should either be printed or put in cloud storage if its that important. Just my opinion but I'm a bit OCD with a clean and organized email.

Don't see it being slow at all outside the US. I've repeatedly sent emails to a couple buddy's of mine in Kuwait and they get them just as fast as they come through here. Vice versa. If you're talking about the Web the yes. It's dreadfully slow anywhere although it has gotten better but it's still a PITA to use on a website.
I guess how you archive your email is down to personal preference. Personally I use a second (private) gmail account, and forward old emails to that every 30 days. This archives them, which means they are stored in one of the best clouds in the world.

With iCloud you're data is stored in 1 datacenter in the US, with a temporary caching datacenter over in California.

To me, iCloud isnt really a cloud, as it uses 1 datacenter, so has very little redundancy if it's sole datacenter has a problem.

As for outside the US, it's not the sending thats slow, it's receiving email, (i.e checking email) and the iCloud interface. Checking my gmail from my iPhone in the UK takes seconds. iCloud's mail can sometimes take over a minute.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:19 AM   #15
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

I don't use it. I would if there was a reasonable amount of space for the free accounts. And I would if I could default reply from another account (i.e. my appleID).

(I also wish they would let us consolidate our appleID and our various mac email addresses. In other words, I started my appleID when itunes first launched. It's my work email, for better or for worse. Years later I got a .mac address, then a mobileMe address. I'd love it if I could bring my mobileMe user name into my appleID. Alas, apple didn't allow that and instead I had to create yet another mobileMe address (since all of my purchases were under my original appleID).

so, no. I never use it. Not even sure what it is these days.

My email is archived in two places, one is yahoo, one is outlook. I don't archive on gmail because I don't like their data mining.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone