Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
does any one really use iCloud email? I am thinking of using it for important emails like banking since Gmail is getting rid of Sync...

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
There is no difference in iCloud email. iCloud email is just like Gmail, yahoo..etc. The only thing that separates it is that its Apple's email client.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
While not really helping with the direct question, I've started to use it more and so far so good, but mostly I'd be curious to hear your feedback after a while.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
IMO, there are two problems with iCloud Mail:

1) It has a pretty limited feature set compared to the other free email services.

2) The web site is quite slow because of all of the effects that it uses.

I would take a look at Outlook.com

It's got Exchange ActiveSync support and a lot more features than iCloud.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
IMO, there are two problems with iCloud Mail:

1) It has a pretty limited feature set compared to the other free email services.

2) The web site is quite slow because of all of the effects that it uses.

I would take a look at Outlook.com

It's got Exchange ActiveSync support and a lot more features than iCloud.

I am being lazy here but can u list some features so I know which ones I am missing :D

Also on the other hand, you avoid the overhead of another account and services running on your device eating battery

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
does any one really use iCloud email? I am thinking of using it for important emails like banking since Gmail is getting rid of Sync...

If you have a current email gmail address then you will never loose sync. Only when creating a new email address in 2013 will result in lose of sync feature. Even if you do create an email address in 2013 you still can sync , there just is another way to do it like so
ura8asaq.jpg

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California

Existing accounts can still use exchange active sync.
Regardless, the gmail app has push, and iOS supports contacts and calendar via caldav and carddav. Google dropping AES support next year is really a non-issue.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Dont use it if you care about keeping a long-term record of all your emails.

Also, dont use it if you're outside North America - it's slow as hell.

If you're after a free account, Gmail or Outlook are much better options.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Dont use it if you care about keeping a long-term record of all your emails.

Also, dont use it if you're outside North America - it's slow as hell.

If you're after a free account, Gmail or Outlook are much better options.

How long does Apple keeps email backups?? Doesn't the amount of time really just depend on how much space you're using. On top of that. nyemail that's over a year old should either be printed or put in cloud storage if its that important. Just my opinion but I'm a bit OCD with a clean and organized email.

Don't see it being slow at all outside the US. I've repeatedly sent emails to a couple buddy's of mine in Kuwait and they get them just as fast as they come through here. Vice versa. If you're talking about the Web the yes. It's dreadfully slow anywhere although it has gotten better but it's still a PITA to use on a website.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
How long does Apple keeps email backups?? Doesn't the amount of time really just depend on how much space you're using. On top of that. nyemail that's over a year old should either be printed or put in cloud storage if its that important. Just my opinion but I'm a bit OCD with a clean and organized email.

Don't see it being slow at all outside the US. I've repeatedly sent emails to a couple buddy's of mine in Kuwait and they get them just as fast as they come through here. Vice versa. If you're talking about the Web the yes. It's dreadfully slow anywhere although it has gotten better but it's still a PITA to use on a website.

I guess how you archive your email is down to personal preference. Personally I use a second (private) gmail account, and forward old emails to that every 30 days. This archives them, which means they are stored in one of the best clouds in the world.

With iCloud you're data is stored in 1 datacenter in the US, with a temporary caching datacenter over in California.

To me, iCloud isnt really a cloud, as it uses 1 datacenter, so has very little redundancy if it's sole datacenter has a problem.

As for outside the US, it's not the sending thats slow, it's receiving email, (i.e checking email) and the iCloud interface. Checking my gmail from my iPhone in the UK takes seconds. iCloud's mail can sometimes take over a minute.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I don't use it. I would if there was a reasonable amount of space for the free accounts. And I would if I could default reply from another account (i.e. my appleID).

(I also wish they would let us consolidate our appleID and our various mac email addresses. In other words, I started my appleID when itunes first launched. It's my work email, for better or for worse. Years later I got a .mac address, then a mobileMe address. I'd love it if I could bring my mobileMe user name into my appleID. Alas, apple didn't allow that and instead I had to create yet another mobileMe address (since all of my purchases were under my original appleID).

so, no. I never use it. Not even sure what it is these days.

My email is archived in two places, one is yahoo, one is outlook. I don't archive on gmail because I don't like their data mining.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.