Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:56 PM   #1
sheetrock321
macrumors member

iTunes 11.0.1 Blows. Like 18 extra steps to add a song to a playlist

I want to add a song to a playlist.

Open up iTunes 11.0.1. First you have to make sure "Music" is selected (out of Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, Books, Apps).

Then You have to select "Playlist" in the menu bar (out of Songs, Albums, Artists, ect.)

Then click "Add to" in the upper right. And you have to MANUALLY BROWSE through your library and find the song and drag it to your playlist. WTF.

The other alternative is to search the Library, click on the song arrow and click on "Add to" then select the playlist.

Am I retarded, is there something I'm missing here? This used to be WAAAY easier.
sheetrock321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:01 PM   #2
djshack
macrumors regular

Simple fix. Show the sidebar. Drag and drop like the old days.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetrock321 View Post

Open up iTunes 11.0.1. First you have to make sure "Music" is selected (out of Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, Books, Apps).

Then You have to select "Playlist" in the menu bar (out of Songs, Albums, Artists, ect.)

Then click "Add to" in the upper right. And you have to MANUALLY BROWSE through your library and find the song and drag it to your playlist. WTF.

The other alternative is to search the Library, click on the song arrow and click on "Add to" then select the playlist.

Am I retarded, is there something I'm missing here? This used to be WAAAY easier.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I can't see how anyone thinks iTunes is better without the sidebar. Prettier, maybe. But clearly less functional. Many things take more steps without the sidebar. I turned mine back on the first day (at least I tried the new way).
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:00 PM   #5
wcdamsch
macrumors member

Actually if you start dragging the playlists will appear on the right, sidebar works too.
wcdamsch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:01 PM   #6
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Oh Em Gee...I had no idea about the sidebar being an option. Guess what I just enabled!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:33 PM   #7
Queenredspecial
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
Oh Em Gee...I had no idea about the sidebar being an option. Guess what I just enabled!
I didn't know either! I had the same issue. It was AWFUL without it! I was desolate. Now I'm ok.
Queenredspecial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:39 PM   #8
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdamsch View Post
Actually if you start dragging the playlists will appear on the right, sidebar works too.
This. ^^^^

Select some songs and start dragging them to the right side of iTunes. When you do that, the playlists will appear on the far right side.
aristobrat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:06 AM   #9
sheetrock321
macrumors member

So what you're saying is, I am retarded. Haha, thanks for the easy fix!!

btw, without the sidebar, I CAN drag podcasts and my ipod window slides open, but i can't get it to work for any songs. weird, but doesn't really matter, I won't be using this silly interface. If it ain't broke...
sheetrock321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:07 AM   #10
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Why don't you just select one or multiple songs and hit "the right mouse button" (two finger tab on the trackpad)? Than among other things "add to playlist" appears.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:20 AM   #11
dellar
macrumors newbie

I'm just glad the colour icons are back in the sidebar.
dellar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:45 AM   #12
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
If there is an option to do something useful in the UI, and you are not aware of it, and others are not aware of it either, then some user interface designer has messed up. Report it as a bug. (iTunes -> iTunes menu -> "Provide iTunes feedback").

Quote:
So what you're saying is, I am retarded. Haha, thanks for the easy fix!!
Absolutely not. The purpose of iTunes is to play your music, not to test your powers of observation, ability to use Google, and general intelligence. If you didn't see that option, that is Apple's failure. Report it as a bug. (iTunes -> iTunes menu -> "Provide iTunes feedback"). The more people report it, the more likely that someone gets the message.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Dunkaccino
macrumors member

is there a way to get cover flow back?
You know where you could see your library in a nice album art coverflow?
Call me crazy, but I like it better than a simple list or a grid. And now you have to be in list view JUST to shuffle music.

I'm pretty surprised Apple decided to cut such a nice feature. Why take it out?
Dunkaccino is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:46 AM   #14
luffytubby
macrumors 6502a

WHY IN THE HELL does this stupid program now forces me to unload everything on my iphone??

I ticked the boxes for controlling everything manually, yet it forces my entire music library on my phone. I am about to go insane. What an annoying, illogical, software update.

they should fire their UI designers. Itunes is a bloated mess that is too cramped and too resource intensive.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:31 AM   #15
delphus
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to delphus Send a message via MSN to delphus Send a message via Yahoo to delphus Send a message via Skype™ to delphus
minimize

I found pretty awful not being able to minimize it by double-clicking on the top bar like any other app allow you to do. Seems that only iTunes does it.
delphus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store