Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:41 AM   #1
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Instagram looking for the rights to sell user's photos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20767537

What a great day for tech.
I am very glad I have never used this service.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:43 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

blimy. I always see Instagram and think, should I download it but I never do.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:13 AM   #3
James Craner
macrumors 68000

I never used Instagram, I could see this comming as soon as they sold out to Facebook.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:08 AM   #4
zioxide
macrumors 603

Looks like I'll be deleting my Instagram soon.

I've read multiple posts & tweets saying this is going to be instagram's suicide note.

edit-

Any legal experts out there who can explain the clauses in Instagram and Facebook's TOS where they talk about this license as "subject to privacy settings"??

Does this mean if a photo is set to private they are not granted this license to use your content?

Last edited by zioxide; Dec 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:20 PM   #5
smoledman
macrumors 65816

I'm so glad I never signed up to this.
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

I rarely used it, so this the only kick in the butt I needed to delete my account. Providing a "free" service through ad revenue is one thing, but selling my photos to ANYONE is not okay with me.
Prototypical is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:59 PM   #7
zioxide
macrumors 603

They are already backtracking a bit on this. hahaha.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

I'm imagining the person in charge of the user database at Instagram, watching the number of registered users dropping like a rock and freaking out. lol

"Um... guys? Anybody seeing this?"
Prototypical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:57 PM   #9
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototypical View Post
I'm imagining the person in charge of the user database at Instagram, watching the number of registered users dropping like a rock and freaking out. lol

"Um... guys? Anybody seeing this?"
That fallout is sure to be intense. I've seen this topic all over the internet today.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:03 PM   #10
malman89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
That fallout is sure to be intense. I've seen this topic all over the internet today.
No it won't. Maybe for the technologically intelligent and aware, but for the droves of teens, young adults, and mindless consumers following the latest fad, they'll keep taking sepia photos of their food or feet and have no idea.
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:16 PM   #11
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
No it won't. Maybe for the technologically intelligent and aware, but for the droves of teens, young adults, and mindless consumers following the latest fad, they'll keep taking sepia photos of their food or feet and have no idea.
Oh of course. But TOP men have already tried to establish alternatives to instagram (top men is a joke). I personally don't use it and don't care about it. But the negative attention I've seen on the internet today gives me pause. Especially when news articles are showing people how to back up their photos and delete their accounts. The media goes nuts with this crap.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:17 PM   #12
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Call me dull, but I've never used any of the "social" stuff like Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Yet I'm a very social person, have lots of friends and we all prefer to get together live. Face to face. What a concept eh?

We do all kinds of stuff outdoors, helps to stay fit, get fresh air, laughs and all sorts of fun that sitting in front of a computer, tablet or the like generally hampers.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:29 PM   #13
daitenshe
macrumors newbie

I don't get it

Why are people surprised? They're offering a totally free, ridiculously popular service and users are mad because the company actually wants to try and make some money? Inconvenience does not equal a bad move.
daitenshe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:01 PM   #14
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by daitenshe View Post
Why are people surprised? They're offering a totally free, ridiculously popular service and users are mad because the company actually wants to try and make some money? Inconvenience does not equal a bad move.
The problem is HOW they propose making money. I think most people expect ads from companies, that much is fine. But when IG suggests that it may use the photos uploaded by its own "customers" to sell things without the "photographer's" consent, that's a bit violating. Personally, I'd much rather pay a small monthly fee with the expectation that I don't have to worry about things like this.

I rarely used IG before and certainly won't now. Like others said, there are too many better options now. Snapseed/Camera+/new Flickr app for image adjustments, Flickr or 500px for sharing. I just wonder if IG will swirl down the toilet and bring Facebook down with it (since FB is on the hook for the IG acquisition tab)...
Prototypical is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion