Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:29 AM   #1
MitzEclipse
macrumors newbie

Will VOIP/CHAT apps (eg Skype/Viber/Whatsapp) work without network data connection?

Hi, I'm wondering if Skype, Viber, Whatsapp etc will work if there is no contract with a mobile service provider (eg if I'm on Vodafone or 02 and I cancel the contract or put the contract on hold) and use Wifi to connect to the internet for these apps on my iphone. In theory it should work because whatsapp etc work on airplane mode but I wanted to double check... i'm travelling for a month and thinking of putting a vacation hold on my mobile contracts. Please let me know thanks!
MitzEclipse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:59 AM   #2
Yptcn
macrumors 6502

I don't know for Viber and Whatsapp but the answer is yes for Skype .
Yptcn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:55 AM   #3
Tea-Aholic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse View Post
In theory it should work because whatsapp etc work on airplane mode but I wanted to double check... i'm travelling for a month and thinking of putting a vacation hold on my mobile contracts. Please let me know thanks!
Well, if you change the SIM card, it asks you to re-activate but if you just leave it on airplane mode and use Wi-Fi, it should just work fine.
Tea-Aholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Viber
macrumors 6502

Hi,
This is a member of the Viber R&D Team.
Viber can work without a sim card, you just need an active phone number for the registration process (you can use your home number for that). If you already have Viber, taking your sim card out won't deactivate it, Viber will continue functioning properly.

We're here to offer our help! Please feel free to let us know your thoughts, questions and comments, we'd be happy to assist.
Thanks,
Viber
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Don't see why they won't. Aslong as there is wifi connection all should work perfectly fine.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Those kind of apps work through the Internet, and as long as you are able to get to the Internet, method/carrier unimportant, then YES.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:43 PM   #7
SL4VE
macrumors 6502

They all work. My mrs uses then with data turned off and wifi only
SL4VE is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone