Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Weerez935
macrumors regular

Time machine / small ssd

I apologize if I'm asking something that's already been addressed but I have a few questions regarding this.

I got the 11" Mac air with 64gig ssd.
Originally I was going to run my iTunes library on a seperate drive but would that mess up time machine? Obviously I don't need iTunes backed up twice but I don't want to screw anything up either.

Maybe I'm over thinking this because my needs are simple. I used to have a huge library but after multiple PC crashes my library is around 1500 songs, no videos, a few apps, and I plan on using Iwork.

Should I use the small ssd for all of this?

Put iTunes on an external drive and use time machine with a time capsule?

Or something else entirely ?

I just don't want to use space I don't have to and an iTunes library will probably be the most taxing thing on my Mac.
Weerez935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

You can easily store the entire iTunes library on an external drive. External drives are by default excluded from Time Machine backups, but you can remove the external drive from the exclusions list manually.

iTunes Match also might be a good solution for you.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Weerez935
macrumors regular

Ok so if I'm understanding correctly I would need 2 external hdd? One for iTunes and one for time machine? Or I could put iTunes and time machine on one hdd without my library on my computer?

Also what is iTunes Match?

Thanks for your help!
Weerez935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weerez935 View Post
Ok so if I'm understanding correctly I would need 2 external hdd? One for iTunes and one for time machine?
Yes. If you want your music backed up on a separate drive.

Quote:
Or I could put iTunes and time machine on one hdd without my library on my computer?
Yes, you can do that also, but with that setup if the one external drive dies all your music will be gone forever.

Quote:
Also what is iTunes Match?
Click the link in my first post and it explains. Basically you pay Apple to store your music on their servers.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air