Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoveAndPeace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
hey guys, this is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with me until I figure out this site better. My problem is, I got a G4 15" powerbook 1 ghz model a1046 off ebay for cheap untested. I charged the battery and turned it on and got this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dle5U-_nfW4 . I did some other basic deep reset by taking out battery pressing power button a few times and leaving it for awhile but nothing changed. tried to power it without battery but nothing booted. I put in a cd in drive it spinned but nothing changed. I moved the screen back and forth and at different angles and nothing changed is it beyond repair?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
If nothing happens when you plug a screen in externally I would suspect a logicboard fault.

Is this one of the models which could be revived by heatgunning the GPU? I recall some people having success with their iBooks back in the day (and obviously later with the 8600M).

LoveAndPeace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
If nothing happens when you plug a screen in externally I would suspect a logicboard fault.

Is this one of the models which could be revived by heatgunning the GPU? I recall some people having success with their iBooks back in the day (and obviously later with the 8600M).

thank you for that tip, now I have to find myself a heat gun lol

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
It's worth mentioning that I don't recall ever seeing a powerbook being fixed by this method. Definitely a YMMV, worth a google though.

LoveAndPeace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Don't really know, I think I read 200 Celsius and 20 minutes but you should research yourself, don't rely on the above.

thanks guys for all your help, monday I might be able to get access to a heat gun ill let you guys know what happened stay tune...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.