Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Just bought a 21" refurb iMac, and so far I have to say I'm delighted.... except I have found a single dead pixel. I'm still well within the 14 days, so I'm considering swapping for a new machine.

What have previous returners done from here? It's a refurb so do I have to buy a whole new machine, or will they replace it if I report the dead pixel? I have read the article that says I need 8 or so dead pixels to get it replaced by Apple, but that seemed to be about brand new machines in warranty after the 14 days.

I'm happy to return it straight away, although as it's the holiday season I likely couldn't source a replacement until next year, and I'd like to get a hold of one. It would be a shame to return it only to be unable to purchase a similar machine.

What would you do good people of Macrumors!?

Last edited:

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Are Apple in the habit of replacing refurbs or will I have to order again do you think?

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
It being one pixel they may say that is within tolerance. I know many screen manufacturers used to have that kind of thing. Whether a dead pixel is still within tolerance I don't know (technology having moved on since then), especially on a refurb. No harm in speaking to Apple though.

strongs

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
If your not happy about the dead pixel return it for a full refund and just say your not satisfied with it - simple end of story if your within your 14 day period it should be quibble free.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I agree strongs. They did actually look to do a straight swap for me, but as there is no current stock the only option they gave me was a refund. Obviously I could have waited, but I thought it better to get this moving before my 14 days is up. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a fresh one.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I agree strongs. They did actually look to do a straight swap for me, but as there is no current stock the only option they gave me was a refund. Obviously I could have waited, but I thought it better to get this moving before my 14 days is up. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a fresh one.

Make sure you don't just pick out your previous machine if the supply is scarce.

Jonnybeats

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Bristol UK
It being one pixel they may say that is within tolerance. I know many screen manufacturers used to have that kind of thing. Whether a dead pixel is still within tolerance I don't know (technology having moved on since then), especially on a refurb. No harm in speaking to Apple though.

Apple have a zero-tollerance to dead pixels. (For new products at-least. Most likely on refurbs too)

I had dead pixels on both my iPad 3 and iPhone 5, they replaced on the spot with no questions asked.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Apple have a zero-tollerance to dead pixels. (For new products at-least. Most likely on refurbs too)

I had dead pixels on both my iPad 3 and iPhone 5, they replaced on the spot with no questions asked.

Yeah, when you buy new it is seemingly faster service because they have rolling stock to just swap stuff out for you that they seemingly can't do with refurb. The lady on the phone did try and source one for me, but couldn't find a machine free.

I'll just try and source another and hope for the best with that one. I'm guessing some of these iMacs are now unsold stock due to them being off sale with the new one being out. Other than the dead pixel this machine came completely like new, so I am otherwise very happy with the speed and service. The screen is good with no yellow tint or anything else.

Jonnybeats

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Bristol UK
I'll just try and source another and hope for the best with that one. I'm guessing some of these iMacs are now unsold stock due to them being off sale with the new one being out. Other than the dead pixel this machine came completely like new, so I am otherwise very happy with the speed and service. The screen is good with no yellow tint or anything else.

Good to hear.

Best of luck! :)

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Fraid it's not good news folks. Packed up the first mac and sent it on it's way. The replacement I ordered came the same day, got it home and we have mac 2 with problem number 2 instantly. There is a very loud noise coming from the centre of the machine where the power supply is. Again everything else is nicely packaged and clean, but this noise is such that for example using the machine for Skype would be all but impossible.

I wanted to believe I was saving some money on machines that had defects, but had been fixed up, however I am questioning the quality control going on here as these 2 machines have exhibited issues more or less out of the box.

I'm willing to try a 3rd machine, however after that I will be questioning the wisdom of choosing a refurb however great the saving.

This time however I will wait until there is stock in to call, they seem to be more likely to give a good replacement when there is stock, otherwise you have to go through the refund process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.