|Dec 15, 2012, 07:59 AM||#1|
RAM upgrade for FCPX?
I've started moving away from imovie and am getting more into FCPX. Liking it so far!
I'm using the MacBook Pro with the specs in my sig, and it seems to run pretty well. I did notice it crash and quit the application once, not sure why, but it saved what I was doing anyway. I've cleared the Final Cut plist files and so far its been good.
Although running well for now, I can't help wonder whether it would be beneficial to increase my RAM from 8 to 16GB before I really get into some slighter larger projects? I have read FCPX uses as much RAM as you can throw at it?
Note, I don't tend to have any other application open when using FCPX so FCPX can use as much resource as is available.
I have no problem upgrading to 16GB as long as I know it would be used. Should I go for it, or should I wait and see how I get along with 8GB?
Hopefully I can get some advice from others who also use FCPX.......
See my YouTube Channel for reviews & tech tips!
2012 Mac Mini Server / 2.6 Quad i7/8GB/2x1TB HDD
2013 MBA11 1.7 Dual i7/8/256 - 2013 rMBP15 2.6 Quad i7/16/1TB/750m
iPhone 6+ / TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
|Dec 15, 2012, 11:18 PM||#3|
Start up Activity Monitor while you are using your MBP normally. Look under system memory. If Used memory is above 6 - 7 GB then you need more memory for sure.
I went from 8 GB to 16 a while ago. I didn't think that I really needed it. I discovered that once I did, started using another 2 - 4 GB even though my behavior was the same. If you are going to keep the system for another couple of years, you might as well get the memory now. You will needed sooner or later, even if you don't now. Memory is only $100. That my 2 cents.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Weird freezing and display issues after ram upgrade and OS X upgrade.||MobsterMac||MacBook Pro||6||Jul 29, 2014 07:26 AM|
|High page outs after ram upgrade and Mtn lion upgrade||Squiggles13||MacBook Pro||1||Dec 7, 2012 09:57 PM|
|Upgrade to FCPX, or downgrade to iMovie from FCE??? Also - archiving question?||Jennicaz||Digital Video||18||Aug 19, 2012 11:01 PM|
|13" MBP RAM upgrade = HD3000 VRAM upgrade?||Doggman||MacBook Pro||5||Aug 17, 2012 04:47 AM|
|FCPX Card upgrade 5770 or 5870?||mikeandbecka||Mac Pro||13||Jun 22, 2012 05:31 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.