Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Purr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Hi everyone! First post. :) I recently switched over from Windows, and the Air is amazing, but here's my predicament:

I was happy with my new 2012 air (LG panel), but one of the keys was squashed in (came like that) so I was shipped a replacement and it has the Samsung panel.

Compared side by side, the Samsung panel is definitely warmer. It has a reddish hue that I'm not too fond of, but I don't want to go through the whole replacement process again as I think it's fixable with a custom color profile. Would anyone happen to have a color profile to 'fix' the warmish tinge on the Samsung and make it more neutral? I tried calibrating it myself using the colorsync calibration tool, but it just resulted in strained eyes and the profiles just looked crappy.

Thanks in advance!

Purr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Bump of desperation. :( Anyone have a custom color profile? I feel like I'm looking at the Samsung screen with rose colored glasses, but in a bad way.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Find attached a bunch of them in a zip file.

For what it is worth, I tried a whole lot of different ones, and ended up going back to the factory setting. (I have a Samsung screen, on a 13" 2012 Air.)

The current Air screens are okay, but not great. Limit to what you can squeeze out of them with a custom profile.

You could always make your own from scratch, or customise an existing one.

Attachments

• Air Screen Colour Profiles.zip
    328.1 KB · Views: 1,999

Purr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
@Miat: Thank you!!! I have only tried anandtech's color profile so far, and while it does neutralize the warmness a bit, it washes it out (the contrasts aren't as good)

Just curious - have you seen the LG screen? Funnily enough, I actually prefer that one. :p The shadows seem to be better. It just seems like the text/black in general is 'darker' on the Samsung.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
@Miat: Thank you!!! I have only tried anandtech's color profile so far, and while it does neutralize the warmness a bit, it washes it out (the contrasts aren't as good)
I am coming off a 2007 iMac 24" IPS screen, which is warmer and 'dirtier' than the Samsung Air screen. So the Air looks bluer and 'cooler' to me by comparison.

I think that it is going to be hard to improve much on Apple's factory profile.

Just curious - have you seen the LG screen?
Only other 2012 model 13" Air screens I have seen were two display units in the store, and both were Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.