Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Purr
macrumors newbie

Any Custom Color Profiles for the Samsung LCD?

Hi everyone! First post. I recently switched over from Windows, and the Air is amazing, but here's my predicament:

I was happy with my new 2012 air (LG panel), but one of the keys was squashed in (came like that) so I was shipped a replacement and it has the Samsung panel.

Compared side by side, the Samsung panel is definitely warmer. It has a reddish hue that I'm not too fond of, but I don't want to go through the whole replacement process again as I think it's fixable with a custom color profile. Would anyone happen to have a color profile to 'fix' the warmish tinge on the Samsung and make it more neutral? I tried calibrating it myself using the colorsync calibration tool, but it just resulted in strained eyes and the profiles just looked crappy.

Thanks in advance!
Purr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Purr
macrumors newbie

Bump of desperation. Anyone have a custom color profile? I feel like I'm looking at the Samsung screen with rose colored glasses, but in a bad way.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Miat
macrumors regular

Find attached a bunch of them in a zip file.

For what it is worth, I tried a whole lot of different ones, and ended up going back to the factory setting. (I have a Samsung screen, on a 13" 2012 Air.)

The current Air screens are okay, but not great. Limit to what you can squeeze out of them with a custom profile.

You could always make your own from scratch, or customise an existing one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Air Screen Colour Profiles.zip (328.1 KB, 406 views)
Miat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Purr
macrumors newbie

@Miat: Thank you!!! I have only tried anandtech's color profile so far, and while it does neutralize the warmness a bit, it washes it out (the contrasts aren't as good)

Just curious - have you seen the LG screen? Funnily enough, I actually prefer that one. The shadows seem to be better. It just seems like the text/black in general is 'darker' on the Samsung.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Miat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purr View Post
@Miat: Thank you!!! I have only tried anandtech's color profile so far, and while it does neutralize the warmness a bit, it washes it out (the contrasts aren't as good)
I am coming off a 2007 iMac 24" IPS screen, which is warmer and 'dirtier' than the Samsung Air screen. So the Air looks bluer and 'cooler' to me by comparison.

I think that it is going to be hard to improve much on Apple's factory profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purr View Post
Just curious - have you seen the LG screen?
Only other 2012 model 13" Air screens I have seen were two display units in the store, and both were Samsung.
Miat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air