Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1
scarred
macrumors 6502a

Sync iPhoto between two machines with Cubby ?

I recently got a desktop mac, and would like to keep one iPhoto library between it and my macbook.

I selected Cubby to do the work. Cubby is just like dropbox, but you don't need to send your data to the cloud (you can if you want). So my pictures are "sync'd" nicely between both my computers. Change it on one, and it gets updated on the other.

It seems to work, but I've had bad experiences with iPhoto libraries in the past. Anyone have any tests I should try? I did the basics (create, update, delete) and it all seems to work. Obviously one thing I will not be doing is using both Mac's at the same time...

Does anyone have a different solution to this?
scarred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:14 PM   #2
saketbash
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarred View Post
I recently got a desktop mac, and would like to keep one iPhoto library between it and my macbook.

I selected Cubby to do the work. Cubby is just like dropbox, but you don't need to send your data to the cloud (you can if you want). So my pictures are "sync'd" nicely between both my computers. Change it on one, and it gets updated on the other.

It seems to work, but I've had bad experiences with iPhoto libraries in the past. Anyone have any tests I should try? I did the basics (create, update, delete) and it all seems to work. Obviously one thing I will not be doing is using both Mac's at the same time...

Does anyone have a different solution to this?

I'm looking to do the exact same thing! I'm setting up everything now and will be testing this over the next couple of days to see what (if any) flaws/risks are involved. During the testing, I'll keep a separate copy of the library as well as backup the library used for testing often just in case. If you notice anything please keep the thread updated. I will do the same!
saketbash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:14 PM   #3
scarred
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketbash View Post
I'm looking to do the exact same thing! I'm setting up everything now and will be testing this over the next couple of days to see what (if any) flaws/risks are involved. During the testing, I'll keep a separate copy of the library as well as backup the library used for testing often just in case. If you notice anything please keep the thread updated. I will do the same!
I used this setup for a couple weeks and didn't have problems. I was always careful to only have one iphoto open at a time, and made sure any synchronizing was complete before opening the other side.

I've since abandoned this, though, as the Cubby client for Mac takes a good 4 to 5% CPU when idle (even with no files in any cubby!). Compare this to dropbox which idles at 0.1%.

I think my next attempt at sharing my pictures across systems will be with PhoShare. This is a smart export from iPhoto.
scarred is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store