Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1
hbtd
macrumors newbie

US iPhone in the UK

I'm about to purchase a iPhone 5 in the US and I would like to give my iPhone 4 to a friend in the UK. Can a US spec iPhone be used in the UK with a UK card? Thanks in advance.
hbtd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:48 AM   #2
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtd View Post
Can a US spec iPhone be used in the UK with a UK card?
It can be used in the UK if it is a GSM iPhone and isn't locked to a US network.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3
hbtd
macrumors newbie

Cheers
hbtd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:21 PM   #4
mushie1uk
macrumors newbie

sending an at&t 3G iphone to UK

I recently upgraded to the 5 and my sister begged for me to send home my old 3G to the UK.. I figured it'd be easy enough to switch out sims and voila!... wrong She took the phone to the shop and was told the only way to have it running would be to continue on the AT&T network which would cost a fortune (and im not paying it).. and he mentioned even if he unlocked the phone it might still not work as its older and couldn't do updates She was so excited about getting the phone and I'm really bummed she cant use it.. I believe her network is just a pay as you go.. I just dont understand as the phone is no longer on a contract.. Any suggestions before she mails it back to me where it'll belong to my kids as an itouch (which they'll be excited about) !
mushie1uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushie1uk View Post
I recently upgraded to the 5 and my sister begged for me to send home my old 3G to the UK.. I figured it'd be easy enough to switch out sims and voila!... wrong She took the phone to the shop and was told the only way to have it running would be to continue on the AT&T network which would cost a fortune (and im not paying it).. and he mentioned even if he unlocked the phone it might still not work as its older and couldn't do updates She was so excited about getting the phone and I'm really bummed she cant use it.. I believe her network is just a pay as you go.. I just dont understand as the phone is no longer on a contract.. Any suggestions before she mails it back to me where it'll belong to my kids as an itouch (which they'll be excited about) !
You can call AT&T and request that they unlock the phone, now that it is no longer on contract.
http://www.imore.com/unlock-your-out...e-request-form
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone