Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:01 AM   #26
Infinitewisdom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
Am I the only one 100% covered by WiFi? Starbucks, Work, Home, Parent's House, Church, College, Relative's Houses, ..... Well *****... I don't know why I don't just get an iPod touch with Skype .
Restaurants? Grocery stores? Movie theaters? Ball parks? Middle of the road? I'm sure your coverage is less than 100%
Infinitewisdom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:31 AM   #27
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitewisdom View Post
Restaurants? Grocery stores? Movie theaters? Ball parks? Middle of the road? I'm sure your coverage is less than 100%
yes yes yes I know - my point being, I average like 40-50MB of data and have for the last 3 years I've been with Verizon because every time I use my phone I'm almost always on WiFi.
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:32 AM   #28
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Best thing to do is go with a 2 gig data plan for one month, see if you go above 1 gig -- if not, just stick with a 1 gig plan the following month, if you do -- obviously keep the 2 gig plan.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:12 PM   #29
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

To the OP, why don't you start with 1 GB, monitor your data usage closely the first month, and proactively add data if needed during that month? I'm assuming AT&T will let you proactively add data as needed to avoid overages.

I'm on Verizon and I'm pretty sure I can add data proactively even in the middle of a billing cycle if it looks like I'll go over before the end of the billing cycle. If I add data proactively before I hit the cap, it's cheaper than going over the cap and paying Verizon something like $15 per GB for overages.

Last edited by avanpelt; Dec 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:22 PM   #30
lookn4wifi
macrumors regular

Whatever AT&T data plan you choose you can keep an eye on it by calling *DATA# .

This helps if you forget to reset your data usage at the start of your next billing cycle.

My data plan is 3,072 MB a month. Last month I used 3,015 MB. If I didn't keep an eye on it I would have been paying overages.

Even though the plan is called a 3 GB plan, that extra 72 MB comes in handy.
lookn4wifi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:06 PM   #31
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
yes yes yes I know - my point being, I average like 40-50MB of data and have for the last 3 years I've been with Verizon because every time I use my phone I'm almost always on WiFi.
The carriers love you!
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:39 PM   #32
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
The carriers love you!
I know! And and and they lower my bill beca....... oh wait....
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:23 PM   #33
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

I'm on a family share plan with 7 iPhone users and we're currently using around 2GB per month. I use my phone whenever I feel like it, but I'm almost always under WiFi.

People who use more data than that must really download a lot or something.
SLC Flyfishing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:37 PM   #34
acctman
macrumors regular

i started out with 2gb with verizon and switched to 1gb. I was average around 500mb a month. emails, fbs, twitter, games, some live podcast... i do get on wifi a lot so that helps
acctman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:40 PM   #35
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

im not around wifi a lot because they are mostly locked networks so i use 2gb ( 2-3 hours of tethering in 1 month total )

so if you are a poweruser and use navigation a lot then get the 2 gb. if your just surfing 1gb enough especially if your going to college + home because there is a lot of wifi there. altho LTE might be faster then these lolcampus routers
isephmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:14 PM   #36
scorpio1973
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
The carriers love you!
They love me too, LOL! I have used 109.36 MB of my unlimited LTE data and I am 22 days into my billing cycle. I am mostly on wifi and I generally don't stream. Honestly, I don't really need unlimited data, but I won't give it up until AT&T forces me.
scorpio1973 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:52 PM   #37
emmatacey
macrumors newbie

I just got Verizon and I went with 1GB. I have wifi at home and at work and friends house. I've had my phone for 2 months now and haven't even come close to half a GB. I figured it was cheaper to do 1GB and if there was 1 month in which I went over it was cheaper paying for that 1 month than to pay for another GB for 12 months a year. I'm happy with my choice.
emmatacey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:47 PM   #38
ATC
macrumors 6502a

Actual data usage on the carrier side may surprise you. I've always thought of myself as a semi-heavy user (at least for data). I have 3 exchange/push accounts (work and personal) running daily for email, contacts and calendar. I also surf at least an hour a day, most days closer to two. I use Google Maps daily (it supposedly uses quite a bit of data). In addition to that, I view at least a few news and YouTube videos a day. On occasion I also tether my iPhone to my wifi-iPad when away from home.

FWIW, I have wifi at home but my work wifi is very spotty. For my usage I figured I should be on a 6GB data plan which I've been on for 2 years. Just last week I requested a break-down of data usage from my carrier, and I was shocked when I saw my actual usage.

It turns out I've been averaging 200-300 MB/month. Only during two month in the last year I've gone over 500MB (680MB was my highest month).

Needless to say I dumped my 6GB plan for 2GB which is saving me a few bucks. I think it's best to trial run with a larger amount than what you anticipate, and then after a few months request your usage from the carrier (don't rely on your iPhone meter - they usually are quite a bit off from each other) and only then you'd be able to really tailor a data plan for your usage.

My own formula for data plan is based on double what I've been averaging plus a bit of buffer (which in my case is ~2GB).
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:26 AM   #39
jstar002
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
Actual data usage on the carrier side may surprise you. I've always thought of myself as a semi-heavy user (at least for data). I have 3 exchange/push accounts (work and personal) running daily for email, contacts and calendar. I also surf at least an hour a day, most days closer to two. I use Google Maps daily (it supposedly uses quite a bit of data). In addition to that, I view at least a few news and YouTube videos a day. On occasion I also tether my iPhone to my wifi-iPad when away from home.

FWIW, I have wifi at home but my work wifi is very spotty. For my usage I figured I should be on a 6GB data plan which I've been on for 2 years. Just last week I requested a break-down of data usage from my carrier, and I was shocked when I saw my actual usage.

It turns out I've been averaging 200-300 MB/month. Only during two month in the last year I've gone over 500MB (680MB was my highest month).

Needless to say I dumped my 6GB plan for 2GB which is saving me a few bucks. I think it's best to trial run with a larger amount than what you anticipate, and then after a few months request your usage from the carrier (don't rely on your iPhone meter - they usually are quite a bit off from each other) and only then you'd be able to really tailor a data plan for your usage.

My own formula for data plan is based on double what I've been averaging plus a bit of buffer (which in my case is ~2GB).
Just an update on my usage.. have had my phone for awhile now. I also consider myself a heavy user but mostly use wifi at home and work from home... However, for the rare times im not home I do surf compulsively and was sure I was using a ton of data...

I downloaded the ATT app which shows u exactly how much u are using monthly as well as check it online.. Turns it I use less than 100 mb a month... lol .... I don't see myself even using over 200mb and i am always surfing.... 2 gig is way excessive for me... i don't think i can even surpass 500mb...
jstar002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:47 AM   #40
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Just remember that having data to use if your wi fi ever messes up is a real luxury. When I'm in bed and my wifi doesn't load for some reason, I can switch to data not worrying at all about my usage since I have 6 gb.
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:58 AM   #41
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar002 View Post
I am considering which AT&T plan to get...

Is 1 gig of data enough if I will probably spend 2 hours a day surfing but not streaming videos or youtube/movies at all. Just forums, sites like Macrumors, twitter Latimes and other web sites... I surf around a lot though...

I maybe get around 100 e-mails a day max from all my e-mail accounts...

Do you think 1 gig will be enough?
I don't know how all of you live off such little data.

I use about 5.5 GB per month.
Myiphone7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:25 AM   #42
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar002 View Post
I also consider myself a heavy user but mostly use wifi at home and work from home...
your not a heavy user, i get through 12-15gb a month down and 5-6gb up

tethering
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:30 AM   #43
617aircav
macrumors 68020

It all depends how much you are willing to spend data. On my old plan I had 3gb and used about 2.5 every month. On my new plan I have 1gb and use about 850mb a month. I don't stream radio in my car anymore and also do not watch youtube. I don't wish to go over so I tailor my use not to do so. To me data is a luxury for the most part. I absolutely do not need data everywhere I go, but its nice to have.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:36 AM   #44
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

I don't ever do streaming, unless on wifi, and I still regularly use around 2.5GB a month. Take that for what it's worth.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:18 PM   #45
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Am I the only one 100% covered by WiFi? Starbucks

U just told the world you only go outside for Starbucks.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:40 PM   #46
adam044
macrumors 65816

With the iPhone 5 you can get 512MB and then 3GB and it goes up from there. No 1GB package that Im aware of. I have the unlimited texting with unlimited mobile to mobile also.

I though about dropping unlimited texting because 90% of my messages are imessage but they didnt have a texting package that would make much sense
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:11 PM   #47
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Working from home while on WiFi seriously reduces your data usage.

If you want to keep your data usage low and use it mostly for web browsing Onavo Extend is nice because it gives you server-side compression of web pages.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone