Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I go to repair permissions and get the following error...What does this mean? Why can't it repair it? ...I have started over with a new install several times, this always comes up eventually, and then every time I go to repair permissions it has this one that it can't repair. I have the most recent version of Lion, but this happened before also.

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.
:confused:

(I'm not sure if I posted in the correct category)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.
Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Disk Utility repairs the permissions for files installed by the Mac OS X Installer, Software Update, or an Apple software installer. It doesn’t repair permissions for your documents, your home folder, and third-party applications.

You can verify or repair permissions only on a disk with Mac OS X installed.
Does Disk Utility check permissions on all files?

Files that aren't installed as part of an Apple-originated installer package are not listed in a receipt and therefore are not checked. For example, if you install an application using a non-Apple installer application, or by copying it from a disk image, network volume, or other disk instead of installing it via Installer, a receipt file isn't created. This is expected. Some applications are designed to be installed in one of those ways.

Also, certain files whose permissions can be changed during normal usage without affecting their function are intentionally not checked.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
solved!

If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

Thanks for that link, this one is in that list, so I guess it doesn't matter. It's a long list, I don't understand why Apple leaves it like that. Whatever.

I repaired permissions because I had some laggy-ness going on, and then I realized I hadn't repaired permissions or restarted after installing several new apps. ...I also notice it helps to repair permissions when updating Flash or Java...especially Flash.​

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for that link, this one is in that list, so I guess it doesn't matter. It's a long list, I don't understand why Apple leaves it like that. Whatever.

I repaired permissions because I had some laggy-ness going on, and then I realized I hadn't repaired permissions or restarted after installing several new apps. ...I also notice it helps to repair permissions when updating Flash or Java...especially Flash.
If you're having performance issues, this may help:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.