Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe needs help

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
My mac mini has lines across the log in screen and won't let me log in. It freezes up when I click on my account. I can log into safe mode and tried several things but the problem persists. I am currently trying to reload the OS but it froze with the same problems on the language selection screen after restarting with the original install disk from safe mode. Dose anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
My mac mini has lines across the log in screen and won't let me log in. It freezes up when I click on my account. I can log into safe mode and tried several things but the problem persists. I am currently trying to reload the OS but it froze with the same problems on the language selection screen after restarting with the original install disk from safe mode. Dose anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Buy a new one.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Try using the original install disk and instead of booting from it, try to run disk utility from it. Use disk utility to check your hdd for errors. If your hdd is good... I'm kind of stuck as to what to do. If your hdd is bad you could try to replace it if you have another one at hand. Obviously if your machine is still under apple care that would be where to go for a fix.

If you can't re-install the OS it's a 90% chance that it is either the hdd or the motherboard and if it's too old for applecare then it might be time for a new one.

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
I know it's shocking but that's not helpful. Thanks though for letting the rest of us know the extent of your wisdom.

Can you deny that it would fix the problem? Since you gave no details, one could assume it was old and had a failing GPU. Shocking, but it is not helpful to ask without ample info.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
it froze with the same problems on the language selection screen after restarting with the original install disk from safe mode.
If the installer disk won't load, then that points to a hardware problem.
However, if you can boot up into Safe Mode, then that merely suggests that you've added or altered some System components, so you should be able to fix that.

What exact Mac model, and what OS version?

If it is a hardware problem, it is possible that it could be repaired, rather than simply tossing it on the landfill and buying a new one. Sadly, the cost of repair may be prohibitive, depending on the model and what's needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.