Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:33 AM   #76
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderMan View Post
Looks like a museum, nice!
But every exhibit in a museum is unique. Not 10 iMac in a row.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:44 AM   #77
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
that doesn't make the imac of the last 5 years not a **** product, it's the worse screen in terms of glare and reflections and double imaging due to the gap ever in computing history, with thousands of petition signatures around the globe gathered for apple to do something about it...
Thousands of signatures, huh? No mention of the millions of extremely satisfied customers who didn't sign a petition. I've heard the whining for years from sour grapes such as yourself about the fact that Apple doesn't put anti-glare on their monitors. Fact is, anti-glare coatings diminish the image. Plain and simple. Don't like Apple's way of doing it? Buy something else.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEw View Post
Obviously I saw it and read it as it was on the home page.. And I commented on it because I found it funny this is considered worthy of front page. I'm right. And you know it.
You're not right. You're petulant, and in need of attention.
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:46 AM   #78
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post
I'm just surprised that Apple built a store in such a crap location. 3rd street is as junkie at stretch of stores I've ever seen. The shoplifting and B&E is probably enormous.
That comment makes me wonder if you have ever been there. Traffic in that area is huge basically all year around. That alone is a reason for building a store there. Their previous store was always humming if not packed, which gave them the data to back up doing a revamp.

And while there might be a few homeless on the beach and some licensed street performers on the Promenade it is hardly junkie. You want that, then head for Hollywood. That area is the ****** one.
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:47 AM   #79
slffl
macrumors 65816

Nice! I can't wait to go check it out next month!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:49 AM   #80
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Everyone's comments that apple knows best and seeing that they are glass geniuses couldn't possibly design a store that would subsequently need shades have been proven as utter rubbish. It remains to be seen if what I said is accurate or not, at least it hasn't been conclusively disproved as the other position. Better luck next time buddy.
Just because you haven't followed the engineering behind glass buildings doesn't mean you are right. Take a look at all the new glass buildings around the world, most are the new forefront in climate control. These buildings can cool and heat themselves using clever glass and air techniques.

Pick yourself up a copy of the Apple edition of Clog magazine and read up. That or just watch any of the TED videos focusing on glass buildings. Seriously, read a bit before you keep your 19th century understanding of glass and heating/cooling.
NT1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:58 AM   #81
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Biggest greenhouse in world?

(its not, but still)
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:10 PM   #82
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
Energy issues would be in the jurisdiction of So Cal Edison, who would be more worried about overloading in San Bernadino than near the coast
No, it is the jurisdiction of the State of California, through Title 24.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:15 PM   #83
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

I've seen pics of these stores before, but I must admit, after looking at the picture now for a while and reading several of the comments, I'm beginning to realize the magnitude of Apple's advancement in store design using glass. Look how tall that building is! That is a lot of glass! I'm actually in awe of that design again, but I do wonder why they have a vertical pane of glass going right through the Apple logo.... why wouldn't they design around the logo? It must be a structural necessity?
coolfactor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:40 PM   #84
rjlawrencejr
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm just surprised that Apple built a store in such a crap location. 3rd street is as junkie at stretch of stores I've ever seen. The shoplifting and B&E is probably enormous.
I guess Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, and Tiffany are a "junkie stretch of stores" (I know they are technically not part of 3rd Street). Not to mention, the Apple Store there has been there over 10 years.

Anyway, you are probably confusing 3rd Street with Venice's Boardwalk. But even then, that "junkie stretch of stores" is some of the most sought after real estate (residential and retail) anywhere.

And for others who were concerned about the temperatures. I grew up in the beach cities and our home never had AC and we were about five miles inland. Rarely did we ever wish we had it.
rjlawrencejr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:50 PM   #85
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
Thousands of signatures, huh? No mention of the millions of extremely satisfied customers who didn't sign a petition. I've heard the whining for years from sour grapes such as yourself about the fact that Apple doesn't put anti-glare on their monitors. Fact is, anti-glare coatings diminish the image. Plain and simple. Don't like Apple's way of doing it? Buy something else.

----------

You're not right. You're petulant, and in need of attention.
I have both 2010 and 2012 new iMac. Colour is more vivid on 2012 new iMac LCD with anti-glare coating.

I had a Panasonic ED plasma 10 years ago, it had anti-glare coating, the colour is very good too.

Anti-glare coatings diminish the image? I don't get it. Why Hoya make multi-coated filters for camera lens?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:13 PM   #86
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeddie View Post
Let's all cheer! Apple has another giant, waste of space store in the world. Aren't we all proud for them!!

The world is a better place. Yippee!!
Yeah, now one of very, very few stores on the Promenade that doesn't sell overpriced clothes has gotten better. It looks really nice.

----------

Quote:
Your second statement makes sense. I've been there very many times, and I live near it. It SUCKS unless you want high-end food from a sit-in restaurant, with very few exceptions. Eating there is great. Almost every single store is overpriced garbage (with a few exceptions). Whenever I hear about some cool store or quick restaurant, it's in Sherman Oaks or Westwood. There are also some movie theaters, which is good, but they're not as nice as the ones in Sherman Oaks or Westwood. If you're not looking for food or Apple, you'll just have very many places to buy "designer" (aka poorly designed) hipster jeans.

But the Apple store is successful there. It's always packed and helps a lot for when Santa Monica residents need service; it's close to everyone there.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlawrencejr View Post
And for others who were concerned about the temperatures. I grew up in the beach cities and our home never had AC and we were about five miles inland. Rarely did we ever wish we had it.
Your house wasn't a greenhouse. They're concerned about trapping sunlight heat in the store, an almost completely different story than a climate of high temperatures. It can be cold but very sunny, which it usually is. An extreme example is in snowy areas on a clear day where the sunlight is bright enough to burn your skin. But ChrisA mentioned convection, which I believe. Apple isn't going to build a store that has to blast the AC and run electricity costs through the roof.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:38 PM   #87
aaarrrgggh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
No, it is the jurisdiction of the State of California, through Title 24.
No, it is the jurisdiction of the City of Santa Monica Building and Safety department, who enforce California Title-24 (and CalGreen). Santa Monica Plan Check is much more of a pushover than the City of Los Angeles.

I am really curious how they pulled off building energy performance. I would think that radiative cooling in the floor would be the only way to do it, but the tables (and people) would limit the effectiveness of that approach. Radiative panels in the wall might work, but it is a lot of solar heat gain even with low-e tinted glass. The R-value of the glass is mostly a non-issue though, since you let the heat stratify it is quite possible the air temperature is higher inside than outside.

What I really am curious about though is who gets to clean up after the seagulls...
aaarrrgggh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:55 PM   #88
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

Why is this front page? Do we get updates for all store remodelings?
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:02 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
I have both 2010 and 2012 new iMac. Colour is more vivid on 2012 new iMac LCD with anti-glare coating.

I had a Panasonic ED plasma 10 years ago, it had anti-glare coating, the colour is very good too.

Anti-glare coatings diminish the image? I don't get it. Why Hoya make multi-coated filters for camera lens?
Your apple and Hoya examples are not coatings, but manufacturing processes. The technology has been around for years now, but it's only been recently that its become cost effective on large panes of glass.

Is it a surprise to you that computers are getting better over time?
757015 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:38 PM   #90
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsurfeif View Post
Your apple and Hoya examples are not coatings, but manufacturing processes. The technology has been around for years now, but it's only been recently that its become cost effective on large panes of glass.

Is it a surprise to you that computers are getting better over time?
It is a surprise to me that Apple so lacks behind others, Panasonic could put anti-glare coatings on 42" plasma cost effectively 10 years ago and Sony could put anti-glare coating on its Trinitron CRT 20 years ago. Apple just recently did it on its 2012 iMac.

2012 iMac is not better than 2011 iMac, 2012 does not have an optical driver.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:45 PM   #91
Handsome Bacon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
They have this exact same store design at Highland Village in Houston and I can tell you, it gets hot as hell in there.

After about a month they installed large cloth strips on the ceiling to provide shade.
Houston gets very hot and humid in the summer. I don't think it ever gets that miserable in Santa Monica.
Handsome Bacon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:49 PM   #92
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Maybe we should put you on the back page.
Ah that wasn't nice.

I'll alert the mods
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:19 PM   #93
Konrad
macrumors 6502

Ehh. Things they built in Dubai and other places makes this look like a kiosk. More importantly, much like in any retail place in LA, women were mostly unattractive, generally people are poorly dressed and the climate is typical of another american mall without soul, void of any sense of identity. Cold, generic, get your stuff and gtfu.
Konrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:36 PM   #94
mrr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
More importantly, much like in any retail place in LA, women were mostly unattractive, generally people are poorly dressed and the climate is typical of another american mall without soul, void of any sense of identity. Cold, generic, get your stuff and gtfu.
I was at the opening and let me tell you there we some real cuties there!!!
mrr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:26 PM   #95
Scooz
macrumors newbie

Devastated

I just looked up 3rd St in Apple Maps in 3D.
Downtown Malibu basically looks like the outer world in Logan's Run.
WTF.
Scooz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:30 PM   #96
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Redesigned to look like any other apple store in the world...
Dear Mr. Food Poisoner... Hope you have a great day poisoning food. What exactly is "MacFood"? Is that what they serve at Macdonalds?
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:45 PM   #97
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooz View Post
I just looked up 3rd St in Apple Maps in 3D.
Downtown Malibu basically looks like the outer world in Logan's Run.
WTF.
"Logan's Run"? WTF
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:47 PM   #98

Let me put all of this to bed.

Quote:
It is a surprise to me that Apple so lacks behind others, Panasonic could put anti-glare coatings on 42" plasma cost effectively 10 years ago and Sony could put anti-glare coating on its Trinitron CRT 20 years ago. Apple just recently did it on its 2012 iMac.

2012 iMac is not better than 2011 iMac, 2012 does not have an optical driver.
Any coating on the screen is going to degrade image quality.

You are comparing a small (by comparison) computer monitor that you operate from as little as a foot away when designing, editing, or creating... to a monitor that runs at a lower resolution and you view from at minimum 5 feet away. Considering the PPI of the television monitors, the distance you are viewing them from, and also the type of content you are typically viewing on them... your rebuttal is weak, and I haven't even mentioned that you keep talking about COATINGS when I'm talking about the chemical makeup of the glass.

Quote:
Anti-glare coatings diminish the image? I don't get it.
Any sort of additional layer on top of the glass or plastic, whichever is protecting the screen on the display of your choice, is going to degrade the image sharpness. Color can be corrected with software.

This is why glass that is created to be less reflective (like in the new iMac) is going to be infinitely better than coated or treated glass. And my point was that the manufacturing process for large low-reflection panes of glass has become much more cost effective recently, I.E. within the last 3 years.

Quote:
that doesn't make the imac of the last 5 years not a **** product, it's the worse screen in terms of glare and reflections and double imaging due to the gap ever in computing history, with thousands of petition signatures around the globe gathered for apple to do something about it.
Honestly if you are experiencing those issues regularly, you are a casual computer user who doesn't care to correct them. If you are working professionally on the monitor, you position the computer accordingly, and the problem is solved in minutes.

It's one of the best screens in terms of color reproduction and image clarity, so the glare being something easy to correct, is looked past 9 times out of 10.

Sorry for straying so far off-topic!
757015 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:48 PM   #99
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
This thread is great for showing how we'll argue about anything simply for the sake of arguing around here.
What are you talking about? Yes, I'm kidding
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:03 PM   #100
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:

There is no "anti-glare" coating on the new iMac. The lessening of reflection is gained by bonding the glass directly to the LCD, instead of having a gap.

Comparing anti-glare coatings on camera lenses to the anti-reflective coating on the average LCD computer monitor is a mistake. The coatings on lenses are nanometers thick, and not a matte finish, as you would see on almost all anti-glare computer monitors.

Do a google search for disadvantages of anti-glare monitors and you will see it explained in multiple places the fact that anti-glare (matte finish) LCD screens are not as sharp or vibrant as glossy.
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion