Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:20 PM   #101
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam3rd View Post
Apple:

"This is the best store we've built so far. It is just magical. The engineering that went into redesigning the new Apple store is a work of art.

The store is taller than the last version and much thinner. "

Lol!
Are they talking about the iPhone or the store?
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:42 PM   #102
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooz View Post
I just looked up 3rd St in Apple Maps in 3D.
Downtown Malibu basically looks like the outer world in Logan's Run.
WTF.
Santa Monica, not Malibu.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:12 PM   #103
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post
No, it is the jurisdiction of the City of Santa Monica Building and Safety department, who enforce California Title-24 (and CalGreen). Santa Monica Plan Check is much more of a pushover than the City of Los Angeles.

I am really curious how they pulled off building energy performance. I would think that radiative cooling in the floor would be the only way to do it, but the tables (and people) would limit the effectiveness of that approach. Radiative panels in the wall might work, but it is a lot of solar heat gain even with low-e tinted glass. The R-value of the glass is mostly a non-issue though, since you let the heat stratify it is quite possible the air temperature is higher inside than outside.

What I really am curious about though is who gets to clean up after the seagulls...
Yes the local agency is required to enforce Title 24 if we really want to get into the finer points of this, but it is a state mandate, so the city has no real jurisdiction over it.

I'm not an architect and it's been ages since I worked for city government, but I know local agencies can have different interpretations of the building codes. In my experience, most of them are not going to question structural or energy calculations performed by the architect or engineer.

Not just seagulls, but on the 3rd Street Mall, pigeon poop! I expect they turn that job over to the folks at the Genius Bar. Gives them something to do on their off hours.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:13 PM   #104
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Santa Monica weather is absolutely perfect. It's warm - not scorching hot. In fact, most of California is like that year round. Arizona and Nevada are different stories, though.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:18 PM   #105
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
Santa Monica weather is absolutely perfect. It's warm - not scorching hot. In fact, most of California is like that year round. Arizona and Nevada are different stories, though.
You've never been to Livermore or the Central Valley then. (Or Death Valley or the Mojave Desert or....)

Coastal California is very nice, though....
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:18 PM   #106
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
There is no "anti-glare" coating on the new iMac. The lessening of reflection is gained by bonding the glass directly to the LCD, instead of having a gap.

Comparing anti-glare coatings on camera lenses to the anti-reflective coating on the average LCD computer monitor is a mistake. The coatings on lenses are nanometers thick, and not a matte finish, as you would see on almost all anti-glare computer monitors.

Do a google search for disadvantages of anti-glare monitors and you will see it explained in multiple places the fact that anti-glare (matte finish) LCD screens are not as sharp or vibrant as glossy.
I see your point. I thought "anti-glare" and "anti-reflective" are the same thing, I thought they are interchangable terminology.

So anti-glare is very different from Hoya's multi-coated anti-reflective technology. I don't like Matte finish for anti-glare, picture is not sharp.

I look at Apple's iMac product page. It is antireflective coating in the diagram, not anti-glare.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:25 AM   #107
rdlink
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
I see your point. I thought "anti-glare" and "anti-reflective" are the same thing, I thought they are interchangable terminology.

So anti-glare is very different from Hoya's multi-coated anti-reflective technology. I don't like Matte finish for anti-glare, picture is not sharp.

I look at Apple's iMac product page. It is antireflective coating in the diagram, not anti-glare.
Well, your post taught me something, also. I didn't realize that Apple was actually treating the glass on the new iMac. I thought they were achieving the reduction in glare solely by bonding the glass to the LCD. Anyway, it's nice to see them putting effort into an elegant solution to reduce glare, instead of the normal, lazy way of just coating it with matte finish.

I've been sort of critical of the new iMac, mainly because I feel the efforts to make them thinner at the expense of losing the optical drive and moving the SD slot to the back, with no real technical or user benefit was kind of silly. But there is some really nice tech in the machine. I saw a 27" at the store this weekend, and in spite of my feelings above, it's a pretty sexy looking machine.
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:49 AM   #108

Just to clarify, the explosion diagram of the iMac's display (seen here) shows the glass and "antireflective coating" as a single piece, followed by the LCD panel, and finally the iMac body.

The antireflective coating is applied at an atomic level through a process called "Plasma-Enhanced Atomic Layer Deposition". Leica also uses a very similar process with their lenses. (if that link works, just search for "plasma") I thought I had read about Hoya using the process as well for their filters, but it turns out they use a process called "vapor deposition" which from what I can tell, applies an additional layer to the glass, after initial production.
757015 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:06 AM   #109
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by thederby View Post
furthermore, [URL="http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USCA1024"] What, exactly, about the climate would necessitate "units are larger in volume than the actual store"?
It's called the "green house effect". Infrared light (warmer, longer wave lengths) are able to enter the building through the glass, but the glass thermal properties prevent the heat from escaping. I would think they have an infrared filter built into the glass to prevent this.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:06 AM   #110
sevier1202
macrumors newbie

Santa Monica

I wonder if anyone saw the girl in the panda costume dancing by the iMacs. If so, you probably saw iJustine. LOL
sevier1202 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:36 PM   #111
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
You don't have to believe me or apple you can use your head and think, or maybe not...

For 5 years the imac has been a reflective/glare disaster like nothing before or since, and you have the nerve to tell me about apple's expertise with glass?

What part of my post didn't you understand exactly in terms of the environmental impact? In such climates these types of all glass building use a. reflective coatings scorching anyone walking outside and/or enormous air conditioning units to cool them down. Stone or concrete is the preferred ceiling and/or wall in such climates because they slowly absorb heat in the daytime and radiate it at night due to the larger thermal capacity.

You can thank me later for the eco building 101 lesson.
I don't believe you , because you are wrong.

The iMac glare "disaster" is not a disaster, but a matter of personal preference and in part related to where your iMac is in relation to light/windows in ones environment.

(I actually read the research, opinions and petitions for the antiglare screens.
(For that matter on MBP's and laptop in general)

Apple finally gave that crowd the option.

And yes, I have the nerve to tell you that you do not know as much as Apple when it comes to glass expertise.

Read the other post about it and update your knowledge.

I researched a lot about windows some time ago from triple pane through argon filled, sunscreens inside, tinting etc. etc.

The result of it is that it is possible to make and to use glass in a way that does NOT heat up the area behind it and does not even require air conditioning.

Unless you know the composition, coatings and properties of the Apple developed glass, you shouldn't even comment.

Obviously they wouldn't build glass cubes that create greenhouse effects and your assumption that air conditioning can only be provided in a harmful way (using large amounts electricity or gas) is also unfounded.

Thermal exchanges via ground source heating/cooling (Something I also researched) is more economical that burning something.
Electricity can be generated in part by the sun etc.etc., probably not in all locations.

You do not mention the background of your "expertise" that trumps Apple's.

From what I see you have opinions, but that's already where things end.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:21 PM   #112
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502

Wow, so cool to read this news. This is my main Apple store.

The location is definitely not crap. The Third street Promenade is a reincarnation done several years ago of a very old, outdated and little used outdoor mall spanning several blocks. Compared to today, it often looked like a ghost town:

The reno of this area greatly revitalized the area while also helping provide many new jobs. As others have said, it's only a few blocks from the ocean so is usually much cooler than inland due to the ocean breezes. Today it's a vibrant place to go both for shopping or to hear/view local street musicians or performers. It is definitely a great location for those of us living on the West Side.

Having a larger store should be a great help. The old one was almost always so packed you felt like you were in a sardine factory, often causing me to go further out of my way and visit the Century City store instead. I look forward to checking out the new place.
shadow puppet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:24 PM   #113
jndub
macrumors newbie

Checked it out

Enjoyed seeing the new store. Huge open space that kind of feels like a train station when you get a whole crowd in there talking. Very cool look and it smells like opening a new mac when you're inside.
jndub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:17 PM   #114
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
I don't believe you , because you are wrong.

I researched a lot about windows some time ago from triple pane through argon filled, sunscreens inside, tinting etc. etc.

The result of it is that it is possible to make and to use glass in a way that does NOT heat up the area behind it and does not even require air conditioning.

Unless you know the composition, coatings and properties of the Apple developed glass, you shouldn't even comment.

Are you sure the glass walls and glass roof of the Apple store in Santa Monica are triple pane through argon filled? I look at the picture, it does not look like triple pane glass at all. It is a giant glass wall, not a glass window.

Maybe gas filled triple pane can reduce heat conduction, but how can it block infra-red (heat) radiation from the sun? I don't get it. Whoever invented this triple pane window technology should win a Nobel prize in physics.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:06 PM   #115
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Are you sure the glass walls and glass roof of the Apple store in Santa Monica are triple pane through argon filled? I look at the picture, it does not look like triple pane glass at all. It is a giant glass wall, not a glass window.

Maybe gas filled triple pane can reduce heat conduction, but how can it block infra-red (heat) radiation from the sun? I don't get it. Whoever invented this triple pane window technology should win a Nobel prize in physics.
I am not saying that this particular store has triple pane glass (or Apple uses that technique at all). I just cited several possibilities of reducing heat transfer.

If we could get a look at a sidecut of the glass we'd know more. Besides coatings there may be imbedded clear film(s), but the slab is one piece.

Too much that we do not know to claim hat it is not ecologically sound or assume it generates radiant heat.

Apple could also have coolant in the connector or blow cold air across and underneath the glass.

Again, we don't know and unless we do I can't even follow the claims that Apple doesn't know what they are doing and the one poster knows better.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:09 AM   #116
mathewhaden12
macrumors newbie

re : Redesigned and Expanded Third Street Promenade Apple Store Opens in Santa Monica

hey it's a so biggy apple store, i haven't seen such a big apple store, this apple store is near to home this store will be very help full for Santa Monica people

Locksmith Santa Monica
mathewhaden12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:10 AM   #117
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow puppet View Post
Wow, so cool to read this news. This is my main Apple store.

The location is definitely not crap. The Third street Promenade is a reincarnation done several years ago of a very old, outdated and little used outdoor mall spanning several blocks. Compared to today, it often looked like a ghost town:

The reno of this area greatly revitalized the area while also helping provide many new jobs. As others have said, it's only a few blocks from the ocean so is usually much cooler than inland due to the ocean breezes. Today it's a vibrant place to go both for shopping or to hear/view local street musicians or performers. It is definitely a great location for those of us living on the West Side.

Having a larger store should be a great help. The old one was almost always so packed you felt like you were in a sardine factory, often causing me to go further out of my way and visit the Century City store instead. I look forward to checking out the new place.
Hey look the old spot Tim Burton used for a few scenes in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. (where his bike was stolen). Cool picture bro.
RenoG is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion