Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
I have an iphone 4, am happy, but time to upgrade.
I dont use a lot of apps, mostly (>95%) of my use of the phone is exchange server integration of calendar and mail for corporate use. No games.

When looking at both the samsung galaxy s3 and the iPhone 5, i like the gs3 hard product. I have no idea about the integration with exchange but people tell me it is fine

Apps are similar on both... i like itunes intergration (I have 2 macs and an iPad) so the apple prodcuts work well together.

Any advice?

abhinav7333

macrumors member
May 5, 2012
I think you're asking this question at the wrong forum. There is going to be a lot of bias. I personally think they both are great phones. The reason i stat with iPhone is because I'm so invested in the apps, I can't leave the iOS.

DaQuickPG

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
I had the ip4 and upgraded to note 2 and I love it. I also have an ipad so I have best of both worlds. My wife has ip5 and it is a great phone. Being that you use itunes u probably want to stay with the iphone and get the 5. With sg3 and note 2 you would benefit from bigger screen but am not sure if there is an app to import from itunes. ...

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
I bet the 5S will be out early this year since they're speeding up release cycles. June or so maybe.

I'd just keep the 4 until then. I'm fine with my 4S. I think being on the cycle is best. They work out any issues with the design and make a better phone the second time.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Play with a friend's or a display model. Go through all the apps that you would usually use and see if they are on Android too. I thought about it for a long time but in the end I don't really customize my phone anymore even though I was an avid jail breaker. I don't even use that many apps besides the stock ones. So I just went through the interface of stuff like the messaging app, the browser, and calendar but I really like the simplicity of iOS's counterparts for these apps. The messaging app on the GS3 is really an eyesore and scrolling through messages has noticeable stutter. Those are the things that matter to me personally and I couldn't get past it so I went with the 5. However the iPhone 5 has many hardware problems so I don't know haha.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
If you're happy with your current iPhone, have 2 macs, and iPad and like itunes, don't see any reason to switch now.

If you're unhappy or there are features on a GS3 that you prefer, play with one in the store first.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
There are a few apps in the Google Play store that will allow you to WiFi sync from iTunes to your Android phone. As for how good they work, I'm not sure (I have my iTunes library synced to Google Music instead)

Both phones are great, but take the advice from everyone above: Try both yourself. There's pros and cons for both devices, and it ultimately becomes your choice to figure out which one you like better.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
You have 2 macs and a iPad. To me I would want my experience the same. GS3 is a nice phone but it still lacks the polish of the iPhone and for God knows why it still has lag. If all you do with your phone is email and phone with the occasional web search I'd want to keep my system intact .

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
A company I support recently replaced most of their Blackberrys with GS3s and many of them have been having problems with their work emails as a result. There are a number of issues like emails intermittently not displaying text, contacts not syncing properly etc. However many of them have had success with buying one of the other email clients available for Android.

The iPhone is probably the best phone when it comes to exchange support, even better than Windows Mobile 7 (haven't used 8 yet) in some ways, like when a company doesn't have a proper SSL cert, you have to do a lot more work to get the phone to work vs Android or iOS.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I'm an Android guy, but i would say get a iPhone 5 because you seem happy with the 4 and the fact you have other Apple products it makes sense to keep to the same eco-system.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I have an iphone 4, am happy, but time to upgrade.
I dont use a lot of apps, mostly (>95%) of my use of the phone is exchange server integration of calendar and mail for corporate use. No games.

When looking at both the samsung galaxy s3 and the iPhone 5, i like the gs3 hard product. I have no idea about the integration with exchange but people tell me it is fine

Apps are similar on both... i like itunes intergration (I have 2 macs and an iPad) so the apple prodcuts work well together.

Any advice?

Well since you said you like the itunes integration and you have other Apple products it would be a difficult switch and you would loose that connectivity between your phone and other devices. Both should work well with mail and calendar but the iPhone 5 has been tested and the results show it has significantly longer battery life. I would go with the 5 in your case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.