Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Tannerman917
macrumors newbie

Should I upgrade my Touch for Christmas?

Hey all,

I was wondering if I should upgrade my 3rd gen iPod touch to the 5th as a Christmas present. My dad has been asking me (quite frequently) what I want for Christmas, and I'm debating as to whether or not to ask for one. If I do' hell almost certainly get one for me. I've had my trusty 3rd gen for 2 years now (got it on my birthday, THE DAY before the 4th gen came out), and I think it's time to upgrade. And to anyone with both an iPhone 4 and a 5th gen (or a 4s, since they have the same processor), what's the speed difference?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

All depends on how much you use it, I would hold off personally but I don't use my iPod much.

Just think about what else you could get for that cash and what you would do with the old one if you did upgrade. Could you sell it?

This will answer any speed related questions:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Gaelic2
macrumors 6502

I upgraded my 3rd generation for the new one and it is great! I use it for a point and shoot camera which automatically shows up on my desktop. When traveling through other countries, it helps to translate for me and makes sense on money exchange. This is so much better than the 3rd generation that I had. It evens feels elegant!
Gaelic2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Tannerman917
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I guess I should've specified: I use my iPod daily. I listen to music, look up chords for my guitar songs (I play in a band), watch YouTube videos, game, work on Pages and Google Drive docs for school, check email, browse the web, game some more, etc. I was disappointed when I saw the Geekbench scores of the 5th gen vs. those of the iPhone 5, but considering I'm coming from something not even half as fast with many less features, I'd be plenty happy with it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:28 PM   #5
mrskb
macrumors member

Oh my goodness, yes! It does so much more than the 3rd gen does. I upgraded from 3 to 4, and now 5...It may not be long before you might have trouble updating software and apps in your 3g.
mrskb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:35 PM   #6
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Yes! It's an incredible upgrade. You won't be disappointed
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502

I went from 4 to 5 and it was a pretty big jump. 3 to 5 will be a leap. The screen alone will be an amazing upgrade, to say nothing of the speed difference.
burgundyyears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:39 PM   #8
chumawumba
Banned

that is just sad how u got he 3 a day before the 4
chumawumba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:21 PM   #9
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

Yes! It will definitely be worth the upgrade!

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8b2
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:52 PM   #10
WSR
macrumors regular

I bought 1 3rd gen the week it came out. My only disappointment was that it didn't have a camera.

I held off on getting a 4th gen., but with the 5th gen's camera, better screen and faster processor, I decided to get it. My only disappointment with it is that it didn't have a 128GB option. My audio and video almost fills that up, and I'm not interested in iCloud especially for a wifi only device.
WSR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:59 PM   #11
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I went from a 4th generation to a 5th, and it was fantastic. It's by far the nicest iPod touch yet, which seems obvious. But even after months have passed, I still find myself just staring at the screen. It's gorgeous. The batteries on my previous touches (2nd and 4th genration) could only managed a couple hours—at most—of use, but I'm able to get about 9 hours of heavy use out of the new touch. I cannot recommend the 5th genration iPod touch enough.
AngerDanger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:32 PM   #12
daybayray
macrumors newbie

I upgraded from a 3rd gen to a 5th gen

I would definitely recommend upgrading. I also had a 3rd gen, used regularly but nothing wrong with it (sold it after buying the new 5th gen). It is definitely faster, the video is soo much better. Even though I rarely use the external speaker, that is greatly improved as well. The battery life also seems to be much longer with the 5th generation. My only issue with the upgrade is the new lightning connector. Since I have a couple of devices that I plug my IPod into, I needed to buy 2 extra connectors. That adds $60 bucks to the overall price, just as an FYI. Otherwise, I am very happy that I upgraded.
daybayray is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Scipod
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

This is the closest (specs) an iPod has ever come to the iPhone it is as fast as the 4s and very thin. The new colors make it an even better product. This iPod is very great and I use mine for many of the same uses. You will notice a worlds difference in video buffering, game graphics and overall smooth performance. The upgrade of the camera I'm sure you will enjoy. This camera unlike the 4th gen. Is a very capable and very portable point and shoot you will always have with you.

The best kind of camera is the one you have with you....
Scipod is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Tags
ipod touch 3g, ipod touch 5g