Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1
cristian.ny
macrumors newbie

iPad mini Aluminum Coating?

I was wondering what makes the back of the iPad mini black. I'm asking this because I've heard that it can supposedly rub off and if I use a cleaner will the color fade after several uses?
cristian.ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Xikum
macrumors 6502

I THINK its anodised aluminium, and so wont rub off at all, no matter what.

I could be wrong though, so if I am I hope somebody can correct me.
Xikum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
bova80
macrumors 6502

it's anodized, it won't rub off, look up what that means.
bova80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a

I think it's the same finish as the iPhone 5.
Hooterville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:11 PM   #5
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
it's anodized, it won't rub off, look up what that means.
The iPhone 5 is also anodized but it rubs off easily.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:19 PM   #6
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Either way, avoid using cleaner...read this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:21 PM   #7
bova80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
scratching and rubbing are completely different things. you can scratch anodized aluminum but if you just rub it with a cloth or your finger it isn't going to come off.
bova80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:26 AM   #8
Bakari45
macrumors regular

Same back coating for the iPhone 5? The coating for each of these devices feels really great. I actually like holding them in my hand.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
Either way, avoid using cleaner...read this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226.
I agree, why would you need a special cleaner? A soft cloth works just fine.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:46 AM   #9
judethat
macrumors regular

Have the black and white iPad mini. The black does scratch or show the scratches more easily. Best to keep It protected in a case.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:05 AM   #10
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
This is what you call spreading "truth"?? It does not RUB off.

OP, I have the mini and iPhone 5 in black. The 5 is used without a case and the mini is used with clear back. It's not going to rub off. If you drop it or bump it into something then yes you'll probably see nicks but you're not going to rub the color of the aluminum. It's not painted. Some here are so misinformed and have nothing better to do with their lives then come here; spread lies and look for every opurtunity to try and change people's mind about the product they bought.
BHP41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:07 AM   #11
ManUMark
macrumors member

I would like to comment but i have yet to be bothered to look at one!
ManUMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:58 AM   #12
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUMark View Post
I would like to comment but i have yet to be bothered to look at one!
Holy crap!!! You mean you actually use your iPad and don't just let it sit around and look for imperfections? I don't believe it.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:08 AM   #13
ManUMark
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
Holy crap!!! You mean you actually use your iPad and don't just let it sit around and look for imperfections? I don't believe it.
No, I have not seen a mini yet!
ManUMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:11 AM   #14
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUMark View Post
No, I have not seen a mini yet!
Opps, comprehension is a bit off I guess. off to the coffee pot
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:23 AM   #15
cristian.ny
macrumors newbie

Thanks I understand now. I was worried that if I cleaned it to much I would see the color actually rub off because I was under the impression that it was a dye from reading another thread on MacRumors.
cristian.ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:28 AM   #16
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristian.ny View Post
Thanks I understand now. I was worried that if I cleaned it to much I would see the color actually rub off because I was under the impression that it was a dye from reading another thread on MacRumors.

A perfect example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:32 AM   #17
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
I've had my black iPad mini for about a month now and only have the red smart cover on it so the back is always open to the elements. I use he mini every single day, it goes with me in my backpack, messenger bag or I carry it by itself. I have absolutely no scratches on it, if it looks dirty I just wipe it off with a damp cloth and it still looks just as perfect as it did when it came out of the box. Not sure exactly what people are doing to get scratches and rubbing the black off. From my own experience I have it in my backpack or messenger bag when not using it. I'm not putting it in any special sleeve, or pocket, other items are in the backpack as well. If it gets a scratch, oh well as long as it still works it's OK.

I buy my iDevices to be used, not for the resale value I might want to sell it for in the future.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:35 AM   #18
Abecedario
macrumors newbie

Quote:
This is what you call spreading "truth"?? It does not RUB off.

OP, I have the mini and iPhone 5 in black. The 5 is used without a case and the mini is used with clear back. It's not going to rub off. If you drop it or bump it into something then yes you'll probably see nicks but you're not going to rub the color of the aluminum. It's not painted. Some here are so misinformed and have nothing better to do with their lives then come here; spread lies and look for every opurtunity to try and change people's mind about the product they bought.
So what? Maybe it doesn't come off but it still scratches easily, pretty much the same when it comes to keeping your devices well-preserved.

Hey! My iphone 5 doesn't peel off, don't be ridiculous. Scratches are another thing entirely!
Abecedario is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:02 AM   #19
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedario View Post
So what? Maybe it doesn't come off but it still scratches easily, pretty much the same when it comes to keeping your devices well-preserved.

Hey! My iphone 5 doesn't peel off, don't be ridiculous. Scratches are another thing entirely!
So what you're telling me is that Aluminium scratches easily. Who would've thought that. I guess everything that aluminum needs the be made out of steel. No wait, that wouldn't work either.

I find it hard to believe that the iPhone 5 is the first aluminum product that people have owned. I guess I should fine a complaint about my refrigerator,coffe maker,blender, mountain bike ......... I mean they all have scratches on them.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:52 AM   #20
Abecedario
macrumors newbie

Quote:
So what you're telling me is that Aluminium scratches easily. Who would've thought that. I guess everything that aluminum needs the be made out of steel. No wait, that wouldn't work either.

I find it hard to believe that the iPhone 5 is the first aluminum product that people have owned. I guess I should fine a complaint about my refrigerator,coffe maker,blender, mountain bike ......... I mean they all have scratches on them.
Oh dear, you really have a way with words, don't you?

It's like reading Shakespeare, I am amazed.

By the way, is there actually someone who cares about a scratch on the fridge?
Abecedario is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:15 AM   #21
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Oh dear, you really have a way with words, don't you?

It's like reading Shakespeare, I am amazed.

By the way, is there actually someone who cares about a scratch on the fridge?
Since you seem to have missed the point. I'll explain it to you. All of those things I listed are items that are meant to used. Same with the iPhone/iPad. It's made of Aluminum, it gets used on a constant basis day in day out. To expect it to stay in pristine condition is absurd. If you want it to be in mint condition you need to wrap it in a otterbox from the moment you open the box.

Black on anything shows every imperfection. The back of my iPad 3 has some scratches on it from setting it down but are harder to see due to the natural color of the aluminum. It only stands to reason that on a darker color those same scratches will be more visible.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:26 AM   #22
Abecedario
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Since you seem to have missed the point. I'll explain it to you. All of those things I listed are items that are meant to used. Same with the iPhone/iPad. It's made of Aluminum, it gets used on a constant basis day in day out. To expect it to stay in pristine condition is absurd. If you want it to be in mint condition you need to wrap it in a otterbox from the moment you open the box.

Black on anything shows every imperfection. The back of my iPad 3 has some scratches on it from setting it down but are harder to see due to the natural color of the aluminum. It only stands to reason that on a darker color those same scratches will be more visible.
Well, if aluminium is such a scratchable material, why use it for this?

I couldn't care less about a scratch on my fridge or my blender (), but when it comes to my phone/tablet, I'm a little bit cranky about it, especially when I pay 'premium prices'.
Abecedario is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:45 AM   #23
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well, if aluminium is such a scratchable material, why use it for this?

I couldn't care less about a scratch on my fridge or my blender (), but when it comes to my phone/tablet, I'm a little bit cranky about it, especially when I pay 'premium prices'.
So $200-$500 for a phone and $329-$600 for a iPad trumps a machine that's $3500 and is far more important than either of the other two.

I'm not sure what premium price you're paying. A $2700 MBP is aluminum and has great build quality. It still will get scratches. See my point. It's aluminum. There's trade offs in everything. I'd much rather have a iPad that a bit easier to scratch than one that weighs a pound more or cost twice as much just because it uses CF or Titanium(which still will scratch pretty easily)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:56 AM   #24
Abecedario
macrumors newbie

Quote:
So $200-$500 for a phone and $329-$600 for a iPad trumps a machine that's $3500 and is far more important than either of the other two.

I'm not sure what premium price you're paying. A $2700 MBP is aluminum and has great build quality. It still will get scratches. See my point. It's aluminum. There's trade offs in everything. I'd much rather have a iPad that a bit easier to scratch than one that weighs a pound more or cost twice as much just because it uses CF or Titanium(which still will scratch pretty easily)
After reading this message I think I'm gonna buy a case for my fridge and another for my blender. Thank you for opening my eyes.
Abecedario is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:08 PM   #25
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Quote:
After reading this message I think I'm gonna buy a case for my fridge and another for my blender. Thank you for opening my eyes.
I'm not sure why you're so worried about scratches. Did you buy your iPad to use or just put on display like some kind of artifact?

I've never used a case or skin on any of my Macs, iPods, iPhones or iPads. Yes Aluminum can scratch and scuff. It is used because it is fairly light, inexpensive and easy to work with. Other materials may be more resistant to marking, but they have other trade offs.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad