Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
giggles
macrumors member

iPad Mini Retina would need a bulky 12W charger

think about it

why "spoil" users with the compact 5W charger in 2012 and then "disappoint" them with a bulkier charger in 2013

if Apple was planning to release a retina ipad mini in the next 12 months, they would have shipped a bulky charger with the current one in the first place

what do you think?
giggles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:51 PM   #2
kas23
macrumors 603

Oh frickin no. Next you're going to say you actually prefer non-Retina.
kas23 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
giggles
macrumors member

I'm ok with the bulkier charger.

The point is, from apple "packaging and charger design team" point of view it would be a step backward, so iPad Mini retina won't happen until it is feasible to charge it with the compact 5W power adapter.

File it as "yet another reason why the Digitimes 2013 iPad mini retina rumor may be BS".

Or may not.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:02 PM   #4
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Pretty sure most people complained that the mini should have came with the 12 watt charger anyways and were disappointed that it came with the 5 watt.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:10 PM   #5
giggles
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Pretty sure most people complained that the mini should have came with the 12 watt charger anyways and were disappointed that it came with the 5 watt.
Most people on forums.

The general public would see it as a step backward*, it just feels weird on Apple's side if they were planning to ship a retina iPad mini in 2013.

*a pretty noticeable one, unlike the "grab a caliper and a precision scale if you want to notice" step backward in the iPad2-to-iPad3 transition.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Chundles
macrumors G4

Our 5W adapters are the same shape and size as our 12W adapters.

It would make no difference here.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:16 PM   #7
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about this as well. However, the original iPad wasn't "Retina" and the second generation became slimmer and lighter. When they did go on to the third generation "Retina" iPad in 2012, it was both heavier and thicker than its predecessor. I see them doing the same thing with the mini. By the time the new iPad mini is released (say, summer/fall of 2013) they should have new, more power-efficient displays (e.g., Sharp's IGZO displays).

The bigger problems I see with a "Retina" iPad mini is resolution choice and differentiation between their full-sized and mini line of iPads.

If Apple decides on using the full-sized iPad's resolution on the mini, then the mini will have a higher DPI of 324 (according to my calculations). It makes the full-sized iPad feel less "pro." On the other hand, making a new resolution with a similar DPI to the iPad's 264 would cause defragmentation for iPad app developers. Maybe this isn't as big a problem as I think.
SJism23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:16 PM   #8
giggles
macrumors member

90% of consumers haven't even noticed the weight/thickness gain of ipad 3.

Switching back to a bulkier charger (at least in US and EU) would be a bit harder to not notice.

We'll see...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:41 PM   #9
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

98% of consumers aren't going to give two craps about the charger, they are buying it for the DEVICE not for how large the charger is. Pretty silly even to someone as fickle about electronics as me.

Do you think a chargers bulkiness will actually affect sales? This is akin to not buying a car because the battery is too big. Apple can thin out anything, I'm sure they can get a 12w charger to an acceptable thinness.
iEvolution is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:56 PM   #10
walmartmartyr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
I was thinking about this as well. However, the original iPad wasn't "Retina" and the second generation became slimmer and lighter. When they did go on to the third generation "Retina" iPad in 2012, it was both heavier and thicker than its predecessor. I see them doing the same thing with the mini. By the time the new iPad mini is released (say, summer/fall of 2013) they should have new, more power-efficient displays (e.g., Sharp's IGZO displays).

The bigger problems I see with a "Retina" iPad mini is resolution choice and differentiation between their full-sized and mini line of iPads.

If Apple decides on using the full-sized iPad's resolution on the mini, then the mini will have a higher DPI of 324 (according to my calculations). It makes the full-sized iPad feel less "pro." On the other hand, making a new resolution with a similar DPI to the iPad's 264 would cause defragmentation for iPad app developers. Maybe this isn't as big a problem as I think.
I thought that the retina display was just the ipad 1's res times 4. Thus the ipad 3&4 just multiply the res by 4. Guess im wrong.
walmartmartyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:15 PM   #11
giggles
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
98% of consumers aren't going to give two craps about the charger, they are buying it for the DEVICE not for how large the charger is. Pretty silly even to someone as fickle about electronics as me.

Do you think a chargers bulkiness will actually affect sales? This is akin to not buying a car because the battery is too big. Apple can thin out anything, I'm sure they can get a 12w charger to an acceptable thinness.
Never said it would affect sales or consumer choices.

It's just weird.

Apple could have just shipped the original mini with the bigger charger and a thicker box (like in australia), this way nobody would have ever "associated" the mini with the compact cellphone charger. It would have been just the way things are. Instead now it will be a small disappointment and a first time for apple IIRC. (shipping a bigger charger in a next gen iteration)

Or I'm overthinking this.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:35 PM   #12
giggles
macrumors member

The point is, I don't believe the Digitimes rumor.

iPad Mini Retina will come in 2014 with power sipping internals/display and the familiar 5W compact charger.

iPad Mini 2013 could have 8Mpx camera, maybe draft AC gigabit wifi, doubled storage, doubled RAM, etc. and the familiar 5W compact charger. Still 1024x768 and ipad2 discontinued.

Last edited by giggles; Dec 15, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:54 PM   #13
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Anything new in Ipad mini 2 will surely disappoint the first generation users anyway. It couldn't get any worse for this form factor.

5W adaptor included is a joke. A mobile charger for a tablet, Apple is so cheap.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:53 AM   #14
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles View Post
Never said it would affect sales or consumer choices.

It's just weird.

Apple could have just shipped the original mini with the bigger charger and a thicker box (like in australia), this way nobody would have ever "associated" the mini with the compact cellphone charger. It would have been just the way things are. Instead now it will be a small disappointment and a first time for apple IIRC. (shipping a bigger charger in a next gen iteration)

Or I'm overthinking this.
I'm finding that many people who purchased the iPad mini is over thinking because its a way to justify their purchase. Many are worried that they bought too early and should have waited for a retina. So instead, they jump down the throats of anyone saying they'll wait for a retina or that the mini should have have had a retina in the first place.

I doubt that anyone would be disappointed that a retina mini would come with a bigger charger. It's a...charger...
mrkjsn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:41 AM   #15
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Most people on forums.

The general public would see it as a step backward*, it just feels weird on Apple's side if they were planning to ship a retina iPad mini in 2013.

*a pretty noticeable one, unlike the "grab a caliper and a precision scale if you want to notice" step backward in the iPad2-to-iPad3 transition.
Most people wouldn't notice the difference in size.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
think about it

why "spoil" users with the compact 5W charger in 2012 and then "disappoint" them with a bulkier charger in 2013

if Apple was planning to release a retina ipad mini in the next 12 months, they would have shipped a bulky charger with the current one in the first place

what do you think?
The 'bulky' charger features prongs that fold up so create a nice smooth casing that packs less awkwardly.

Most users would take that any day.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:26 PM   #17
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

You must have a care free life if this has got you worried.
neutrino23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad