Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

werthan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hello,
I have been shopping for an all-in-one printer, and had narrowed it down to the following:

Canon Pixma MX895
Brother MFC-J4510DW
Epson WorkForce WF-3540

However, my use of the device will be less for printing, and more for scanning. I currently have a Windows machine, a dell color laser, and a Xerox Documate 252, which has served me well over the years. I print maybe 50 pages a month.

I was hoping to get an AIO in order to eliminate clutter? I really don't know whether just to get a dedicated color printer (laser or inkjet) or an AIO with some scanner. Finding good reviews has been pretty difficult.

Thanks.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I tried using a low end HP printer (came free with my wife's iMac) as a scanner and between the lousy HP software and the lack of a sheet feed, it was a disaster.

I then got a Scansnap 1500m and couldn't be happier. Software works well and the scanner is small and fast. I have a LAN attached color Xerox printer in another room so an all in one wasn't needed.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
In my experience.....

the best is a scanner and a printer. AIO machines/software too many times sucks, at least for me, being a HP consumer....

:):apple:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hello,
I have been shopping for an all-in-one printer, and had narrowed it down to the following:

Canon Pixma MX895
Brother MFC-J4510DW
Epson WorkForce WF-3540

However, my use of the device will be less for printing, and more for scanning. I currently have a Windows machine, a dell color laser, and a Xerox Documate 252, which has served me well over the years. I print maybe 50 pages a month.

I was hoping to get an AIO in order to eliminate clutter? I really don't know whether just to get a dedicated color printer (laser or inkjet) or an AIO with some scanner. Finding good reviews has been pretty difficult.

Thanks.

I have an HP C4480 model that came with my 2009 iMac that I have been using ever since and it has come with me from Maryland --->Texas--->Arizona and has not stopped working yet. I use it almost daily for printing and every so often for scanning. It does a great job and I am really glad that I got it. The only bad thing about the all in ones is the need to buy ink.

As others have said, the HP software isn't the best, and sometimes(very rarely) it just doesn't work and needs to be restarted or unplugged and then restarted.

That being said, my wife and I use ours daily and it has been great.

werthan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
the best is a scanner and a printer. AIO machines/software too many times sucks, at least for me, being a HP consumer....

:):apple:

Thanks. After reading a lot on this forum, I ended up getting the scansnap. Just couldn't resist after reading reviews on Amazon. Appreciate the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.