Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:39 AM   #1
iPh0neTy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Does Anyone Know Anything About Activating An Original iPhone?

So I am having this debate in my mind. I bought an original iPhone as a collectors item. It's mint condition, open box, but never used. If you look up the serial on Apple's website it says it's never been activated and it's stuck on the activation screen.

I looked up the serial number to find out that it was manufactured the the 27th week of 2007. That's July 2-9th. The iPhone was first released on July 11th so it's a first production.


I am debating on whether or not to activate it. I know it was a different process to activate back then, cant just plug into itunes. I'm worried on one hand that if I activate it, it will lose value. On the other hand I am worried if I don't activate it now Apple may close the process required to activate it in the future and it may be stuck on the activation screen for good.

What do you think? And does anyone know anything about activating an original iPhone?
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2
numberforty1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
So I am having this debate in my mind. I bought an original iPhone as a collectors item. It's mint condition, open box, but never used. If you look up the serial on Apple's website it says it's never been activated and it's stuck on the activation screen.

I looked up the serial number to find out that it was manufactured the the 27th week of 2007. That's July 2-9th. The iPhone was first released on July 11th so it's a first production.


I am debating on whether or not to activate it. I know it was a different process to activate back then, cant just plug into itunes. I'm worried on one hand that if I activate it, it will lose value. On the other hand I am worried if I don't activate it now Apple may close the process required to activate it in the future and it may be stuck on the activation screen for good.



What do you think? And does anyone know anything about activating an original iPhone?
No idea, but it's cool that you have a first production. I'd maybe give the apple store a call and do some investigating. Myself I'd leave it unactivated.
__________________
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iTouch 2nd gen 32GB iPad 2 16GB Black iPhone 5 16GB white
numberforty1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Before on the original iphone you would need to pick your minute, data and text plan in order to activate on a certain line.
Now for over a year or so they have changed it so people cannot use it to activate unlimited data plans on their AT&T lines any more.
So all it does is it activates normal like all other iphones. Stick an active AT&T sim and plug it to itunes and it will activate.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Wow buying an original iPhone in mint condition in 2012 must be really expensive. Why don't you just leave it unactivated, at a higher value?
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:25 AM   #5
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Just get a active SIM card and activate it. I've been trying to find an original iPhone to mess around with.
Jordan921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:32 AM   #6
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Before on the original iphone you would need to pick your minute, data and text plan in order to activate on a certain line.
Now for over a year or so they have changed it so people cannot use it to activate unlimited data plans on their AT&T lines any more.
So all it does is it activates normal like all other iphones. Stick an active AT&T sim and plug it to itunes and it will activate.

I tried it about a year ago when I bought it and it said it could not be activated. that I needed to contact Apple.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:34 AM   #7
zen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
I'd leave it unactivated as a collector's item.
zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:41 AM   #8
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Wow buying an original iPhone in mint condition in 2012 must be really expensive. Why don't you just leave it unactivated, at a higher value?
I bought it a while ago from older guy who won it at work. He said he liked the phone he had at the time and didn't want to bother with activating it to his line so opened it to look at it and it sat in his closet ever since. He had no clue what it's worth cause I paid about what it was worth used at the time. I figured i'd keep it for a few years and see what it's worth. I think I will leave it unactivated though. It's killing me though. I want to start it up just to play with it and see iOS 1.0. I haven't ever seen an iPhone running the first iOS.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
I'd leave it unactivated as a collector's item.
You're probably right.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Just get a active SIM card and activate it. I've been trying to find an original iPhone to mess around with.
The Original iPhone is becoming extinct. I bought this one after I saw an unused original iPod go for several thousand on eBay. It's too the point where you can't even find the original iPhone in working order.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:42 AM   #9
zen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
You're probably right.
Also, the iPhone 1 isn't such a great phone, compared with modern phones, and you can hardly run anything from the App store on it. If you intended to use it as your main phone, you'd just get frustrated eventually. Plus, you'll add wear and tear and the risk of damage.

The phone, mint and unactivated, might actually be worth a fair amount in say 20-30 years, too.
zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:51 AM   #10
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
Also, the iPhone 1 isn't such a great phone, compared with modern phones, and you can hardly run anything from the App store on it. If you intended to use it as your main phone, you'd just get frustrated eventually. Plus, you'll add wear and tear and the risk of damage.

The phone, mint and unactivated, might actually be worth a fair amount in say 20-30 years, too.
Yeah, I'm not planning on ever using it. I just hope the battery doesn't crap out. I researched and found out that lithum-ion batteries will store for years and years at 68 degrees with 1/3 charge in a dry place so that's how i'm keeping it. Maybe not exactly 68 all the time but pretty close since that's about the same temp as my house stays in the basement 365 days year.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:23 AM   #11
kockgunner
macrumors 68000
 
kockgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
I bought it a while ago from older guy who won it at work. He said he liked the phone he had at the time and didn't want to bother with activating it to his line so opened it to look at it and it sat in his closet ever since. He had no clue what it's worth cause I paid about what it was worth used at the time. I figured i'd keep it for a few years and see what it's worth. I think I will leave it unactivated though. It's killing me though. I want to start it up just to play with it and see iOS 1.0. I haven't ever seen an iPhone running the first iOS.

----------



You're probably right.

----------



The Original iPhone is becoming extinct. I bought this one after I saw an unused original iPod go for several thousand on eBay. It's too the point where you can't even find the original iPhone in working order.
I would definitely leave it as a collectors item. It's not every day that a single gadget changes the entire market. I think items like the first iPod, original Macintoshes, and the iPhone will be worth a lot in the future. If you want to play with iOS 1.0, I would just get a beat up original iPhone or even first gen iPod touch.
__________________
2010 15" MBP | iPhone 4 16GB | PB G4 12" 1.33 Ghz, 768MB RAM, replacement 30GB HDD
kockgunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:35 AM   #12
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
I tried it about a year ago when I bought it and it said it could not be activated. that I needed to contact Apple.
Weird.
Give it a shot again.
Make sure the AT&T sim in active.
Many have reported that it just activates fine now.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Fant
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I believe when I activated my original iPhone it was thru iTunes. Either way I would make this the buyers problem and not touch it.
Fant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Activating your iPhone kdesign7 iOS 7 1 Sep 18, 2013 02:37 PM
Activating iPhone 4 mikeandashley iPhone 4 Aug 3, 2013 09:38 AM
Activating iPhone 4 ChrisBuddy iPhone 0 Jun 30, 2013 04:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC