Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would be a better gaming device?

• iPad Mini (Retina Display + A6X chip)

Votes: 35 76.1%
  • iPad 4th gen (Retina Display + A6X chip)

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
What will probably happen is that Apple will release the iPad Mini with a Retina display and more powerful processor next year.

So if we put the iPad Mini on the same playing field as the iPad 4th gen in terms of specs which one would you rather play games on?

The iPad Mini's smaller 7.9 screen or the original iPad 9.7 screen?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
What will probably happen is that Apple will release the iPad Mini with a Retina display and more powerful processor next year.

So if we put the iPad Mini on the same playing field as the iPad 4th gen in terms of specs which one would you rather play games on?

I would rather play games on it now even though it doesn't have a retina display.

loaferkan

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I think iPad mini would be better. I guess, Smaller size will be much more comfortable to use while playing.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I'm confused, it already is a good gaming device. What's the big deal about retina? iPad Mini screen looks amazing the way it is now.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I hope the OP realizes that the Mini wouldn't be the Mini with those specs. To get the same battery life with an A6X and a Retina display, you would need the iPad 4 battery. Where are you going to put it? That means you either get a fatter device or reduced battery life. Plenty of Android tablets put out great resolution but suffer in battery life.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Going from the iPad 2, to the iPad 3 and then the iPad mini, I can say that the 3rd gen iPad was pushing a sweat, just to keep relative pace with the iPad 2.
Real Racing 2 is smoother on the iPad 2.
It's as if all the extra performance and battery, was simply there to power all the extra pixels that the Retina Display has, as it it definately didn't increase the relative performance.
The iPad 4 is what Apple really wanted the 3 to be, but they had to wait for the chips to be ready.

I fear that an iPad mini with a Retina Display, would have the iPad 3 internals, which would be replicating the problem.

But, to add to the OP's question, if both the mini and iPad 4 had the same specs, it would simply come down to size, and that's where the mini would win. Playing Vice City on the mini is perfect.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I'm okay with the lack of Retina, but what's really preventing my from biting is the outdated processor; not for now, but the near future. Refer to this thread.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I would rather play games on it now even though it doesn't have a retina display.

I'm the same; many games work best when you hold the iPad up in the air and the lightness of the mini means that it works much better for that.

I also think Retina isn't a big deal for the action games that I play. Everything moves so quickly that spotting the extra resolution is difficult. Text and photos are were I miss the Retina display the most. For playing games want I'd really like is display that updates faster.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
The size alone would make the mini the better gaming system, because it would be less cumbersome to handle. Based on the current market options though, the iPad 4 is a FAR better gaming system.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
I hope the OP realizes that the Mini wouldn't be the Mini with those specs. To get the same battery life with an A6X and a Retina display, you would need the iPad 4 battery. Where are you going to put it? That means you either get a fatter device or reduced battery life. Plenty of Android tablets put out great resolution but suffer in battery life.

Like the iPad 3?

Everyone knows Retina will happen.

IGZO screen, plus more efficient chip design, etc. Its going to happen and its not so much when.

Plus I'm not debating on whether its feasible (although it seems obvious that Apple will eventually).

Just curious to see if they were on the same playing field, would people prefer the bigger screen compared to lighter weight.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Like the iPad 3?

Everyone knows Retina will happen.

IGZO screen, plus more efficient chip design, etc. Its going to happen and its not so much when.

Plus I'm not debating on whether its feasible (although it seems obvious that Apple will eventually).

Just curious to see if they were on the same playing field, would people prefer the bigger screen compared to lighter weight.

I know you're going hypothetical, but it's hard to really compare the two without realizing the trade offs. I think everybody would prefer a 1 TB iPhone 5 to a 16 GB model, but you would have to sacrifice size or price, if not both.

Now this iPad comparison might be doable in another year after technology improvements. But I can't imagine Apple had the capability to shove a Retina display and the hardware behind it into the mini's body. Even with the iPad 3 it needed a slightly thicker case. And I can tell you at times recently it does like to sit around and think. I don't know whether that's a glitch in iOS 6 or an overtaxed CPU.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I doubt a retina and better battery would do anything much to Ipad mini design. It might get thicker and heavier but if you compare the ratio to Ipad 2 going Ipad3, its not that bad.

And Apple should have release Ipad mini with Retina in the first place which they probably could at $329 but who knows. Maybe apple now is more about compromising specs, forseeable upgrades, no surprise. Where apple in Jobs era is all about eye widening all audiences.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I think it would totally depend on the type of game you are playing. Games with richer graphics look better on larger screen. Games where you have to tilt the device to play might be easier to maneuver with the smaller mini. Hidden object games and some puzzle games where you have to search the screen for details would need a larger screen. Angry Birds, I find it easier to aim the birds on bigger screens. So really, it depends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.