Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Which would be a better gaming device?
iPad Mini (Retina Display + A6X chip) 35 76.09%
iPad 4th gen (Retina Display + A6X chip) 11 23.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:34 AM   #1
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

If iPad Mini had Retina Display and A6X chip, which would be better gaming device?

What will probably happen is that Apple will release the iPad Mini with a Retina display and more powerful processor next year.

So if we put the iPad Mini on the same playing field as the iPad 4th gen in terms of specs which one would you rather play games on?

The iPad Mini's smaller 7.9 screen or the original iPad 9.7 screen?
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:41 AM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
What will probably happen is that Apple will release the iPad Mini with a Retina display and more powerful processor next year.

So if we put the iPad Mini on the same playing field as the iPad 4th gen in terms of specs which one would you rather play games on?

I would rather play games on it now even though it doesn't have a retina display.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:44 AM   #3
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

The little one would be easier to handle ... For me the better game device
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:48 AM   #4
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

iPad mini, hands down.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:03 AM   #5
loaferkan
macrumors regular

I think iPad mini would be better. I guess, Smaller size will be much more comfortable to use while playing.
loaferkan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:04 AM   #6
dinggus
Banned

I'm confused, it already is a good gaming device. What's the big deal about retina? iPad Mini screen looks amazing the way it is now.
dinggus is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:17 AM   #7
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

I hope the OP realizes that the Mini wouldn't be the Mini with those specs. To get the same battery life with an A6X and a Retina display, you would need the iPad 4 battery. Where are you going to put it? That means you either get a fatter device or reduced battery life. Plenty of Android tablets put out great resolution but suffer in battery life.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:00 AM   #8
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
I hope the OP realizes ...
Clearly, they didn't. There's no such thing as a free lunch when it comes to device design.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:44 AM   #9
BergerFan
macrumors 68000

Going from the iPad 2, to the iPad 3 and then the iPad mini, I can say that the 3rd gen iPad was pushing a sweat, just to keep relative pace with the iPad 2.
Real Racing 2 is smoother on the iPad 2.
It's as if all the extra performance and battery, was simply there to power all the extra pixels that the Retina Display has, as it it definately didn't increase the relative performance.
The iPad 4 is what Apple really wanted the 3 to be, but they had to wait for the chips to be ready.

I fear that an iPad mini with a Retina Display, would have the iPad 3 internals, which would be replicating the problem.

But, to add to the OP's question, if both the mini and iPad 4 had the same specs, it would simply come down to size, and that's where the mini would win. Playing Vice City on the mini is perfect.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:53 AM   #10
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

I think I would rather play games on the bigger screen.
guitarmandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:53 AM   #11
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

I'm okay with the lack of Retina, but what's really preventing my from biting is the outdated processor; not for now, but the near future. Refer to this thread.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:56 AM   #12
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I would rather play games on it now even though it doesn't have a retina display.
Agreed. Playing Sky gamblers and Real Racing is much much better on the mini already due to the weight and size. Retina or not this is the best mobile gaming platform that's available right now.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:02 AM   #13
blackNBUK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I'm the same; many games work best when you hold the iPad up in the air and the lightness of the mini means that it works much better for that.

I also think Retina isn't a big deal for the action games that I play. Everything moves so quickly that spotting the extra resolution is difficult. Text and photos are were I miss the Retina display the most. For playing games want I'd really like is display that updates faster.
blackNBUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:18 AM   #14
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I hope the OP realizes that the Mini wouldn't be the Mini with those specs. To get the same battery life with an A6X and a Retina display, you would need the iPad 4 battery.
You don't, actually.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:21 AM   #15
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

The size alone would make the mini the better gaming system, because it would be less cumbersome to handle. Based on the current market options though, the iPad 4 is a FAR better gaming system.
joshwithachance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:23 AM   #16
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Ipad 5 lol.
When the retina mini comes out ipad 5 will have the A7X
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:28 PM   #17
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I hope the OP realizes that the Mini wouldn't be the Mini with those specs. To get the same battery life with an A6X and a Retina display, you would need the iPad 4 battery. Where are you going to put it? That means you either get a fatter device or reduced battery life. Plenty of Android tablets put out great resolution but suffer in battery life.
Like the iPad 3?

Everyone knows Retina will happen.

IGZO screen, plus more efficient chip design, etc. Its going to happen and its not so much when.

Plus I'm not debating on whether its feasible (although it seems obvious that Apple will eventually).

Just curious to see if they were on the same playing field, would people prefer the bigger screen compared to lighter weight.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:12 PM   #18
AdonisSMU
macrumors 65816

IPad mini is better without the retina display and with an A5x chip.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:41 PM   #19
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
IPad mini is better without the retina display and with an A5x chip.
A5X Might be overkill... An A6 would be more than sufficient and would probably add another 2 hours of battery life, with no retina.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:12 AM   #20
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Like the iPad 3?

Everyone knows Retina will happen.

IGZO screen, plus more efficient chip design, etc. Its going to happen and its not so much when.

Plus I'm not debating on whether its feasible (although it seems obvious that Apple will eventually).

Just curious to see if they were on the same playing field, would people prefer the bigger screen compared to lighter weight.
I know you're going hypothetical, but it's hard to really compare the two without realizing the trade offs. I think everybody would prefer a 1 TB iPhone 5 to a 16 GB model, but you would have to sacrifice size or price, if not both.

Now this iPad comparison might be doable in another year after technology improvements. But I can't imagine Apple had the capability to shove a Retina display and the hardware behind it into the mini's body. Even with the iPad 3 it needed a slightly thicker case. And I can tell you at times recently it does like to sit around and think. I don't know whether that's a glitch in iOS 6 or an overtaxed CPU.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:58 AM   #21
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

I doubt a retina and better battery would do anything much to Ipad mini design. It might get thicker and heavier but if you compare the ratio to Ipad 2 going Ipad3, its not that bad.

And Apple should have release Ipad mini with Retina in the first place which they probably could at $329 but who knows. Maybe apple now is more about compromising specs, forseeable upgrades, no surprise. Where apple in Jobs era is all about eye widening all audiences.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:26 AM   #22
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Quote:

I think it would totally depend on the type of game you are playing. Games with richer graphics look better on larger screen. Games where you have to tilt the device to play might be easier to maneuver with the smaller mini. Hidden object games and some puzzle games where you have to search the screen for details would need a larger screen. Angry Birds, I find it easier to aim the birds on bigger screens. So really, it depends.
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad