Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
We have one iTunes library on my Mac mini. I have Home Sharing turned on. On my wife's PC, she can see my library.

In iTunes 10, we could simply drag stuff out of my shared library and it would copy into her iTunes. Now, with both computers running iTunes 11, drag and drop doesn't work - you can't select more than one track at a time in my shared library, and you can't drag it.

Have Apple somehow discontinued this, or am I missing something?

RandySK

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL
Home Sharing Won't Drag and Drop

If Home Sharing were turned off, you wouldn't even see the songs in the other library.

It appears that Apple has turned off the drag and drop functionality. I don't understand this. If all your computers are authorize to play the songs, why are you now forced to manually copy the songs?

sagresport

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Using Drag and Drop in Itunes 11

I find this to be a common mistake for a lot of people. Hopefully this helps you: You have to sign into your home sharing with the SAME apple ID and password on each computer. It's common for people to want to put their individual/own ID and password on "their" computer, but that is not correct to fully authorize home share. Even on someone else's machine on your network, you still use the same apple ID and password for all computers you want to home share with. The other computer isn't getting access to your account or anything like that. You just have to use the same ID and password on each machine and that will enable home share among all home share computers that logged in with that ID and password. Otherwise you will just be able to see and stream the other computer's content, but you will not be able to copy it over or drag and drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.