Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
jameswilby5
macrumors newbie

Urgent help needed!

Hi everyone,

I had an old iPhone 4 which I was planning on selling to my friend. Trouble is that it is locked to Vodafone and he is on T-Mobile. So I said I would unlock it for him. I had stupidly restored the phone and no longer had the micro sim (upgraded to iPhone 5 so have a nano sim) so could not activate the phone to get the IMEI code. So I decided to hacktivate the phone. This was going well until it finished and it took me back the the set up screen. However when I try to activate the phone I get a message saying "We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time. Please try again later, or contact customer care."

I tried plugging it into iTunes did multiple restores but the same message still appears. Has anyone had this problem before? Or know how I can fix it?

Any help would be unbelievably appreciated!

Many thanks,
James
jameswilby5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:33 PM   #2
macmania87
macrumors newbie

If all you're after is the IMEI it can be located on the sim tray, just eject it from the phone.

As for the restores, try putting the device into DFU mode, just connect your iPhone to iTunes, press and hold the lock and home buttons to restart, once the apple logo loads up let go off the lock button and continue to press and hold home button.
macmania87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:15 PM   #3
jameswilby5
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the IMEI location. I'll have a look for it.

At the moment the only way I have been able to restore the phone is in DFU so that hasn't worked. Any other ideas?

Many thanks,
James
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:00 PM   #4
macmania87
macrumors newbie

Ok, so have you already gone through the process of having the phone unlocked? Are you getting the error before you're able to complete the activation, restricting you access to your home screen with apps? I could be wrong, but you may need an active sim inserted to complete the activation.

Hope that helps.

Ps. Is the phone connected to wifi when setting up?
macmania87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:06 PM   #5
PNutts
macrumors 601

I don't do any of that type of stuff, but you may get better play in the hack forum. Good luck!
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Buy a SIM adapter so you can activate the phone with your nano SIM. You can get set if them Amazon or eBay for about $2.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:49 PM   #7
jameswilby5
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! I had not yet got to the stage of unlocking the phone I was only hacktivating it at that point. The error is occurring at the end of the activation process, even after restoring the phone, but it does allow me to connect to a WiFi network when going through the activation process.

Totally agree with you PNutts I would never usually even consider hacking an iPhone but I was in a rush and thought it looked like an easy solution. Stupid me! If I can get this fixed I'll take it to a store in my local town who can unlock it for me so I don't have to deal with this again

Thanks for the idea Baggio. Unfortunately I changed network at the end of my last contract so won't be able to do that. Would have been a great idea though!

I'll post another topic in the hack forum to see if I can reach someone who has had this problem in the past. But if you have any advice please by all means reply.

Many thanks,
James

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone