Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:31 PM   #276
888gorilla
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBS28 View Post
I have firmware DXT06B0Q. Should I keep this or is an update necessary?
I have that firmware, my machine is not letting me do the update, seems to be running fine!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:38 PM   #277
Kierkegaard
macrumors member

Firmware update

Quote:
I have firmware DXT06B0Q. Should I keep this or is an update necessary?
When I have no problem with the original firmware, before updating, I expect to see the returns. All of updates are not always without making problem.

My original firmware is: DXM04B0Q

Last edited by Kierkegaard; Feb 27, 2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: My original firmware
Kierkegaard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:55 PM   #278
Kierkegaard
macrumors member

Firmware update from Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by buysp View Post
I want to pull the trigger on a Samsung 840 Pro but need to clear up how i will be able to install the FW from a windows machine.

So what's the procedure for a windows machine? i.e. format drive, install windows,install magician software and update and then reformat it back to Mac and go from there?

How should i go about this?

Cheers Paul
Why you not do the update of your firmware from a Mac, if you have one?
Kierkegaard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:28 PM   #279
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buysp View Post
I want to pull the trigger on a Samsung 840 Pro but need to clear up how i will be able to install the FW from a windows machine.

So what's the procedure for a windows machine? i.e. format drive, install windows,install magician software and update and then reformat it back to Mac and go from there?

How should i go about this?

Cheers Paul
You don't need to put Windows on your Mac to update the 840 Pro firmware. The OS X firmware download page is right here. Just download the ISO and burn it to a disc and boot to that and follow the steps outlined in the PDF on that page.

Direct link to 840 Pro firmware ISO: DXM04B0Q | PDF
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:42 PM   #280
buysp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
You don't need to put Windows on your Mac to update the 840 Pro firmware. The OS X firmware download page is right here. Just download the ISO and burn it to a disc and boot to that and follow the steps outlined in the PDF on that page.

Great thanks mate, i feel alot more confident in taking the plunge now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierkegaard View Post
Why you not do the update of your firmware from a Mac, if you have one?
I was under the impression that doesn't work properly from some of the threads i have viewed on this forum.

Last edited by buysp; Feb 27, 2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Typo
buysp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:29 PM   #281
Jorge7
macrumors newbie

How do I see what the current firmware version is?

I have a 2008 Macbook, OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3, Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I am new to Macs and could not find it in either Finder or Disk Utilities. Not sure whether to update firmware or not, I just bought the SSD Mid February, 2013.
Jorge7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:14 AM   #282
UBS28
macrumors 6502a

Using TRIM from OS X won't damage the Samsung 840 or cause shorter life span?
UBS28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:40 AM   #283
offthehook
macrumors member

firmware update on my 840 120 (non pro) went smoothly.
but can someone explain to me why I now have 10 gigs of additional free space on my ssd? nothing is missing or has been deleted (e.g. all applications are there and fine).

strange
offthehook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:13 AM   #284
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge7 View Post
I have a 2008 Macbook, OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3, Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I am new to Macs and could not find it in either Finder or Disk Utilities. Not sure whether to update firmware or not, I just bought the SSD Mid February, 2013.

What is it you cannot find in Finder or Disk Utility?

As long as you're computer is working, the OS X firmware download page is right here. Just download the ISO and burn it to a disc and boot to that and follow the steps outlined in the PDF on that page.

I updated my firmware last week and haven't had any issues.

Quote:
Using TRIM from OS X won't damage the Samsung 840 or cause shorter life span?
No, TRIM is a tool to help keep the SSD at optimal performance. It not only increases data writing speeds, but it increases the lifetime of the SSD itself. Get Groth's TRIM Enabler here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthehook View Post
firmware update on my 840 120 (non pro) went smoothly.
but can someone explain to me why I now have 10 gigs of additional free space on my ssd? nothing is missing or has been deleted (e.g. all applications are there and fine).

strange
On their support page they list the fix as:

Quote:
This update addresses the following issues : Improved ''''dirty drive'''' write performance.
I can only speculate, but maybe that fix cleaned up a lot of deleted files.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:00 AM   #285
RJCP
macrumors 6502

Hi guys! I've just installed an 840 ssd in my system, and then restored it from my previous HDD system via Time Machine.
However I have noticed that upon pressing Alt at startup (had to do it to update the firmware), OSX recovery doesn't show up.

Any input? I have a bootable USB of ML, so I can recover, but I thought this was very odd behaviour. Maybe I should have installed ML fresh and then do the migration of my stuff via OS instead of a Time machine restore?
RJCP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:18 AM   #286
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCP View Post
Hi guys! I've just installed an 840 ssd in my system, and then restored it from my previous HDD system via Time Machine.
However I have noticed that upon pressing Alt at startup (had to do it to update the firmware), OSX recovery doesn't show up.

Any input? I have a bootable USB of ML, so I can recover, but I thought this was very odd behaviour. Maybe I should have installed ML fresh and then do the migration of my stuff via OS instead of a Time machine restore?
Yeah ... a fresh install would have created the recovery partition, simply restoring from Time Machine doesn't provide that function.
hfg is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:33 PM   #287
Azagar
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to Azagar Send a message via Yahoo to Azagar Send a message via Skype™ to Azagar
I know i'm beating a dead horse, but I just installed a 512gb 840 pro in my cMBP and what an incredibly difference it has made. $440 from macmall was just too tempting to pass up. This is my first SSD so I am pretty surprised at the difference it made to my computer. Also threw in a pair of HyperX LoVo 8gb to max out the machine. I'm sure that helped too.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:34 PM   #288
chmodme
macrumors member

not having any luck

I use an 840 Pro in a MBP, and am interested in doing the firmware upgrade.

Burned the .iso, thanks for the link...but upon rebooting all I get is a black screen and

freeDOS

At this point the machine is unresponsive to any input and must be rebooted.

Any insight?

thanks

chmod
chmodme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:26 PM   #289
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmodme View Post

Burned the .iso, thanks for the link...but upon rebooting all I get is a black screen and

freeDOS

Any insight?

thanks

chmod
I am assuming you haven't gotten far enough to actually update the firmware correct?

Perhaps try burning a new ISO disc and try again. Also, see about getting a lens cleaner for the SuperDrive.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:47 PM   #290
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmodme View Post

freeDOS

Any insight?

thanks

chmod
Did you give it a bit of time before hitting the power switch? I seem to recall it taking awhile to load the CD environment before it displayed the splash screen.
hfg is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:25 PM   #291
Jo Chen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Updating firmware is usually a wise thing to do as they're intended to fix problems and improve functionality. I just updated my Samsung 840 a few days ago and had no issues - that's not to say that others haven't though. Here is the link to the firmware for OS X.
Thank you!
Jo Chen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:24 PM   #292
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I just ordered the 840 500gig. Do I need to over provision? To my understanding, 12gigs is already overprovisioned, hence the difference between this and the pro series to my understanding.

Should I over provision more? Or is this something that no longer needs to be done with improvements in the controller?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:50 PM   #293
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I just ordered the 840 500gig. Do I need to over provision? To my understanding, 12gigs is already overprovisioned, hence the difference between this and the pro series to my understanding.

Should I over provision more? Or is this something that no longer needs to be done with improvements in the controller?
It's my understanding from reading reviews on Anandtech, that the manufacturers are building in the additional space needed and keeping it separate from the OS partitions. So we don't need to do a manual over-provision.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:57 PM   #294
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
It's my understanding from reading reviews on Anandtech, that the manufacturers are building in the additional space needed and keeping it separate from the OS partitions. So we don't need to do a manual over-provision.
as in what is available?

for instance....does the 512 pro have 512 available? does the 500 non-pro have 500 availiable with 12 gigs for that provisioning?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:01 PM   #295
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
as in what is available?

for instance....does the 512 pro have 512 available? does the 500 non-pro have 500 availiable with 12 gigs for that provisioning?
I'll have to look up the article again to get specifics and to verify what I'm saying. But I don't think it's anything close to 12GB though.

I'd check my MBP and/or iMac which have the 830 512GB and 840 500GB respectively, to see what the usable space is but I'm not with them right now and on the iPad.

Edit: here is what I was thinking of, it's in regards to an Intel SSD, but I imagine all manufacturers do this. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/9

Quote:
Intel ships its X25-M with 7.5 - 8% more area than is actually reported to the OS. The more expensive enterprise version ships with the same amount of flash, but even more spare area. Random writes all over the drive are more likely in a server environment so Intel keeps more of the flash on the X25-E as spare area. You’re able to do this yourself if you own an X25-M; simply perform a secure erase and immediately partition the drive smaller than its actual capacity. The controller will use the unpartitioned space as spare area.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Feb 28, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:02 PM   #296
Azagar
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to Azagar Send a message via Yahoo to Azagar Send a message via Skype™ to Azagar
my 512 pro has 511.12GB capacity according to the get info window.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:08 PM   #297
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
I'll have to look up the article again to get specifics and to verify what I'm saying. But I don't think it's anything close to 12GB though.

I'd check my MBP and/or iMac which have the 830 512GB and 840 500GB respectively, to see what the usable space is but I'm not with them right now and on the iPad.

Edit: here is what I was thinking of, it's in regards to an Intel SSD, but I imagine all manufacturers do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azagar View Post
my 512 pro has 511.12GB capacity according to the get info window.
ah so the provisioning is the drive being shipped with more than 512 and 512 being what is usable
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:09 PM   #298
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
ah so the provisioning is the drive being shipped with more than 512 and 512 being what is usable
Yes sir, that's my understanding of how they work.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:16 PM   #299
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

I have the ISO to install the newest firmware, but is there an easier way to check the current firmware version? Is it possible to boot the installer from a USB drive instead of a CD/DVD?

Here is my speed test, this is a Mini with a Fusion drive though:

jjk454ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:49 AM   #300
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
NAND capacities are actually measured in Gibibytes (1024^3 bytes) instead of Gigabytes (1000^3 bytes). Hence a 512GB SSD has 512GiB (549.8GB) of NAND on the board, so ~7% of the capacity is reserved for over-provisioning. The SSD 840 has ~9% set for OP (thus the capacity of 500GB), most likely to extend the endurance of the NAND (it uses lower endurance TLC NAND and more OP results in lower write amplifcation).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro