Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:10 PM   #26
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianlucadr View Post
And what about Trim? All of you enabled Trim? What about the performance of the garbage collection? Is it better than the 830?
Seems like it's roughly the same as the 830 (at least on the 840). Although TRIM is kinda funky, as it doesn't fully restore write speed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6337/s...50gb-review/11
__________________
2011 15" Macbook Pro, 2.0 GHz i7 (10.10.1); 64 GB VZW iPhone 6 (8.1.1); 32 GB iPad mini Wi-Fi (8.1.1)
BlaqkAudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:40 AM   #27
paul-n
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Samsung released a new Firmware for the 840 (Pro) Series last week.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...t/MZ-7PD256BW?
Description This update addresses the following issues : 1. Improved ''''dirty drive'''' write performance.
paul-n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:08 AM   #28
Hexley
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Do they have a Mac installer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-n View Post
Samsung released a new Firmware for the 840 (Pro) Series last week.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...t/MZ-7PD256BW?
Description This update addresses the following issues : 1. Improved ''''dirty drive'''' write performance.
Hexley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:10 AM   #29
shmonkus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
Do they have a Mac installer?
Not at the moment but I have heard rumours of a mac installer in the next couple of months
shmonkus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:38 AM   #30
gianlucadr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
For 840 also http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...t/MZ-7TD250BW?
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...t/MZ-7TD500BW?
gianlucadr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:46 AM   #31
ugp
macrumors 65816
 
ugp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Inverness, Florida
Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
I just ordered a 840 Pro 512GB from NewEgg last night. Hopefully it comes with the new Firmware already installed as I don't have access to a Windows Machine to update the Firmware.

From what I was comparing on benchmarks the 840 Pro beats the Mercury Extreme 6G in a lot of cases.

What I am unsure of doing at this point is with my Crucial m4 256GB SSD.

I am currently running the Crucial and the Stock 750GB HDD in my MBP. I can't decide if I want to replace the 750GB HDD with the Crucial m4.
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB Black
2nd Gen 16GB iPad Mini
ugp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:04 AM   #32
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
I just ordered a 840 Pro 512GB from NewEgg last night. Hopefully it comes with the new Firmware already installed as I don't have access to a Windows Machine to update the Firmware.

From what I was comparing on benchmarks the 840 Pro beats the Mercury Extreme 6G in a lot of cases.

What I am unsure of doing at this point is with my Crucial m4 256GB SSD.

I am currently running the Crucial and the Stock 750GB HDD in my MBP. I can't decide if I want to replace the 750GB HDD with the Crucial m4.
Do it and configure them in Raid = awesome speeds!
jomirrivera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:01 AM   #33
MikeSantor
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, Dirty South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
I just ordered a 840 Pro 512GB from NewEgg last night. Hopefully it comes with the new Firmware already installed as I don't have access to a Windows Machine to update the Firmware.

From what I was comparing on benchmarks the 840 Pro beats the Mercury Extreme 6G in a lot of cases.

What I am unsure of doing at this point is with my Crucial m4 256GB SSD.

I am currently running the Crucial and the Stock 750GB HDD in my MBP. I can't decide if I want to replace the 750GB HDD with the Crucial m4.
Do you know how to tell what firmware is on the SSD? I just got my 840 pro in from newegg yesterday. I could check and see and let you know what firmware it came with.
MikeSantor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:04 PM   #34
gianlucadr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
3B0Q is the old one for PRO
gianlucadr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:23 PM   #35
ugp
macrumors 65816
 
ugp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Inverness, Florida
Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSantor View Post
Do you know how to tell what firmware is on the SSD? I just got my 840 pro in from newegg yesterday. I could check and see and let you know what firmware it came with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianlucadr View Post
3B0Q is the old one for PRO
From what I read the old Firmware Bug was only in Pre-Release version of the drive and were not made available to the public. All Retail drives ship with a different Firmware and should be fine.
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB Black
2nd Gen 16GB iPad Mini
ugp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:42 PM   #36
xxjudgmentxx
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WI
Send a message via AIM to xxjudgmentxx Send a message via MSN to xxjudgmentxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxjudgmentxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
From what I read the old Firmware Bug was only in Pre-Release version of the drive and were not made available to the public. All Retail drives ship with a different Firmware and should be fine.
^ This.

Confirmed by Anandtech.
__________________
17" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB + 250GB Samsung 840 SSDs | 64GB iPhone 5
xxjudgmentxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #37
ugp
macrumors 65816
 
ugp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Inverness, Florida
Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
Just got my Samsung 840 Pro today. Went with the 512GB Model. Drive is blazing fast with write speeds. Also upgraded to 16GB of RAM from OWC.

I decided to keep my old Crucial m4 256GB inside with the Data Doubler.

Benchmark Video i just uploaded to show off the speed.
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB Black
2nd Gen 16GB iPad Mini
ugp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:28 PM   #38
Jann
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmonkus View Post
I have a 256gb 840 pro, best purchase ever! I'm seeing 460mb/s write and 515mb/s read.

Also good news to hear that the issues that anandtech were seeing were as a result of an early firmware issue resolved with the release of the production firmware
Hi,

you went with samsung instead of waiting for the Intel 20nm SSDs that should be arriving....soon?

Thanks!
Jann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:36 AM   #39
paul-n
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
There are some bootable Iso for download on
http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...downloads.html
Just scroll down "Samsung SSD Firmware Updates for Mac Users"
paul-n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:52 AM   #40
shmonkus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann View Post
Hi,

you went with samsung instead of waiting for the Intel 20nm SSDs that should be arriving....soon?

Thanks!
Yeah it was a personal choice, I got some flack from my colleagues but I stand by my choice

Not sure about 20nm yet, but we received a couple of intel 180gb ssd production units into our team this week, they look like they would comfortably fit in an rmbp but are destined for a couple of ultrabooks here. It's worth a look at the next gen intel ssd's but I doubt there will be much of a performance difference
shmonkus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:14 AM   #41
shmonkus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
Do they have a Mac installer?
Found the quote - it was made by Kristian Vatto, the guy who reviews SSD's on the AnandTech website. Scroll down to the comments section, it's about halfway through page 2 of the comments:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6483/u...0-pro-failures
shmonkus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #42
Hexley
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
shmonkus thanks!

$309.99 with free shipping via Adorama. If I could, I'd buy three of these for my 3 Macs.

Comes out as $0.62/GB with the 2nd lowest idle state power consumption.

500GB 2.5" Samsung 840 Internal Solid State Drive,
530MB/s Read and 330MB/s Write Speed
SKU: SSG7TD500BW
MFR: MZ-7TD500BW

Last edited by Hexley; Dec 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Hexley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:04 PM   #43
qwerty123123
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
could anyone tell me how to buy the samsung 840 pro 128gb in canada? newegg doesnt sell it, amazon doesnt sell it and i dont know where to find one from a reliable online store.
qwerty123123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:58 PM   #44
richnyc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
shmonkus thanks!

$309.99 with free shipping via Adorama. If I could, I'd buy three of these for my 3 Macs.

Comes out as $0.62/GB with the 2nd lowest idle state power consumption.

500GB 2.5" Samsung 840 Internal Solid State Drive,
530MB/s Read and 330MB/s Write Speed
SKU: SSG7TD500BW
MFR: MZ-7TD500BW
That's a GREAT price... The only time I've seen it cheaper was on Amazon during Cyber Monday sale, for $299.
__________________
MBP9,2 (16GB RAM, 768GB SSD); iPhone5s 16GB
richnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:02 PM   #45
Hexley
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenashus1 View Post
Struggling a bit about Samsung 840 Pro 256gb vs. Samsung 840 500gb. I won't be doing anything intensive on the computer. The Pro is faster, but the 840 has more storage. Caught between the two. I seem inclined toward the more storage idea. What would you do?
I personally would go with the 500GB 840. My choices were initially the 840 Pro, OCZ Vector then was swayed to the M4 and now the 840.

500GB 840 at $310 is $0.62/GB. 256GB 840 Pro is $270 at $1.05/GB.

It has the 2nd lowest at-idle power consumption trailing the 840 Pro by a very narrow margin. This is important as your computer will be at-idle most of the time.

As you may have noticed people who owned a Crucial M4 upgraded to the 840. 512GB M4 is $385 at $0.75/GB while the 256GB M4 is $190 @ $0.74. If the 840 is not available in your area I'd get the M4.

If you are coming from any HDD any SSD will be faster. Any SSDs will consume less power than any HDD. This was how I was swayed to think that I will not notice the performance gap between the M4 and 840 Pro. I'm not saying the 840 Pro's not a worthy buy. If you want the best and you can buy the best then the 840 Pro's the way. I initially went for that didn't I??

Take note that we are a far a ways of saturating SATA 3Gb/s (300 MB/s) & SATA 6Gb/s (600 MB/s) write and read. So even if you got the top of the line SSD today you there will always be a drive in the future that will be faster for that particular SATA.

Now for the comparisons.

Included is a Hybrid Drive for comparison.

Write at SATA 6Gb/s (600 MB/s)
066.2MB/s - Seagate Momentus XT
314.1MB/s - 500GB 840
460.0MB/s - 256GB 840 Pro
262.8MB/s - 512GB M4
242.2MB/s - 256GB M4

Read at SATA 6Gb/s (600 MB/s)
076.3MB/s - Seagate Momentus XT
506.6MB/s - 500GB 840
515.0MB/s - 256GB 840 Pro
511.1MB/s - 512GB M4
472.0MB/s - 256GB M4

Source:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...46&postcount=9
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachme...9&d=1355702348
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...3&postcount=16

The 840 has 3 years warranty vs the 840 Pro's 5 years. I think of it this way. When the warranty expires after 3 years time SSDs will have double the capacity for half the prevailing price. So by then I can get a 1TB SSD for $155 at a write/read that may be better than a 840 Pro.

Alternatively 3 years from today you will be buying a whole new MBPro with Retina Display. Those comes standard with SSDs.

Last edited by Hexley; Dec 20, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Hexley is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:27 PM   #46
LAFUNGA
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Samsung SSD 840 pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-n View Post
There are some bootable Iso for download on
http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...downloads.html
Just scroll down "Samsung SSD Firmware Updates for Mac Users"
Will this completely re configure your mac? as it says it is a perishable update meaning you will have to re install a back up afterwards. Do you know if it will leave your mac in a position to restore? as in it won't mess things up so much that you can't boot up?
LAFUNGA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:47 PM   #47
Tenashus1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
I personally would go with the 500GB 840. My choices were initially the 840 Pro, OCZ Vector then was swayed to the M4 and now the 840.

500GB 840 at $310 is $0.62/GB. 256GB 840 Pro is $270 at $1.05/GB.

It has the 2nd lowest at-idle power consumption trailing the 840 Pro by a very narrow margin. This is important as your computer will be at-idle most of the time.

As you may have noticed people who owned a Crucial M4 upgraded to the 840. 512GB M4 is $385 at $0.75/GB while the 256GB M4 is $190 @ $0.74. If the 840 is not available in your area I'd get the M4.

If you are coming from any HDD any SSD will be faster. Any SSDs will consume less power than any HDD. This was how I was swayed to think that I will not notice the performance gap between the M4 and 840 Pro. I'm not saying the 840 Pro's not a worthy buy. If you want the best and you can buy the best then the 840 Pro's the way. I initially went for that didn't I??

Take note that we are a far a ways of saturating SATA 3Gb/s (300 MB/s) & SATA 6Gb/s (600 MB/s) write and read. So even if you got the top of the line SSD today you there will always be a drive in the future that will be faster for that particular SATA.

Now for the comparisons.

Included is a Hybrid Drive for comparison.

Write at SATA 6Gb/s (600 MB/s)
066.2MB/s - Seagate Momentus XT
314.1MB/s - 500GB 840
460.0MB/s - 256GB 840 Pro
262.8MB/s - 512GB M4
242.2MB/s - 256GB M4

Read at SATA 6Gb/s (600 MB/s)
076.3MB/s - Seagate Momentus XT
506.6MB/s - 500GB 840
515.0MB/s - 256GB 840 Pro
511.1MB/s - 512GB M4
472.0MB/s - 256GB M4

Source:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...46&postcount=9
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachme...9&d=1355702348
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...3&postcount=16

The 840 has 3 years warranty vs the 840 Pro's 5 years. I think of it this way. When the warranty expires after 3 years time SSDs will have double the capacity for half the prevailing price. So by then I can get a 1TB SSD for $155 at a write/read that may be better than a 840 Pro.

Alternatively 3 years from today you will be buying a whole new MBPro with Retina Display. Those comes standard with SSDs.
It's just that reliability issue that bugs me with the 840 vs. 840 Pro. I wish I could know better about that. You know what I mean? Some reviews say that reliability should not be an issue for the average consumer. Just not sure.

Last edited by Tenashus1; Dec 20, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Tenashus1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:56 PM   #48
Hexley
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenashus1 View Post
It's just that reliability issue that bugs me with the 840 vs. 840 Pro. I wish I could know better about that. You know what I mean?
That is what Time Machine is for.

Alternatively I have yet to read of any catastrophic failures on this forum or anywhere else.

And it's Samsung! Even Apple's using the older 830 on their Macs.

Last edited by Hexley; Dec 20, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Hexley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:04 PM   #49
Jann
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Talking Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmonkus View Post
Yeah it was a personal choice, I got some flack from my colleagues but I stand by my choice

Not sure about 20nm yet, but we received a couple of intel 180gb ssd production units into our team this week, they look like they would comfortably fit in an rmbp but are destined for a couple of ultrabooks here. It's worth a look at the next gen intel ssd's but I doubt there will be much of a performance difference
Dear shmonkus,

per your (and others here) recommendation:

Order Summary
Qty 1

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820147193


It is on its way.

THEREFORE: any issues, concerns, problems, spinning beach balls, missing assignments or unwelcome plots twists in "The Walking Dead", "Game of Thrones", and "Dexter" are hereby and forever due to this recommendation of yours, and I shall hold you to it.

Will be doing clean install tomorrow.....thank you!!

J
Jann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:17 PM   #50
bill phillips
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
heres my samsung 840 pro ssd macbook pro 15 inch 2012, 2.3 mhz ml 10.8.2, 16 gb ram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 8.12.19 PM.png
Views:	1411
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	384908  
bill phillips is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of getting samsung 840 or 840 pro...difference? koban4max Mac Pro 27 Dec 2, 2013 07:17 PM
Samsung 830 or 840 or 840 Pro pianoman88 MacBook Pro 7 Jul 17, 2013 08:46 AM
Samsung 840 ssd vs 840 pro series macbook pro mid 2012 alexistkd MacBook Pro 14 Jun 20, 2013 02:36 AM
Blade SSD or samsung 840 pro? jpmorais iMac 6 Apr 19, 2013 01:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC