Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:21 PM   #51
Hexley
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill phillips View Post
heres my samsung 840 pro ssd macbook pro 15 inch 2012,
That's the fastest single drive 840 Pro benchmark I've seen so far. Breaking the 500MB/s write speed while improving upon the read speed some more. What is surprising is that the 840 Pro has a published Sequential Write of 450MB/s and Sequential Read of 540MB/s.

Is this a 512GB SSD?

It was mentioned to me that the CPU can become the bottleneck when it comes to SSDs reaching their potential seeming you installed it in a 2012 MBPro this may be true.
Hexley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:26 PM   #52
bill phillips
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
That's the fastest single drive 840 Pro benchmark I've seen so far. Breaking the 500MB/s write speed while improving upon the read speed some more. What is surprising is that the 840 Pro has a published Sequential Write of 450MB/s and Sequential Read of 540MB/s.

Is this a 512GB SSD?

It was mentioned to me that the CPU can become the bottleneck when it comes to SSDs reaching their potential seeming you installed it in a 2012 MBPro this may be true.
nope its the 256, i didnt need that big of a drive personally. Besides it makes no difference in the speeds, just the amount of storage..I also enabled trim and formatted and reinstalled the osx as well instead of cloning. Havent noticed any bottle neck so far, but i also have the 16 gb ram i installed as well. Im looking into putting a second 240 pro into the optical bay and running striped raid 0..should be fun
bill phillips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:45 PM   #53
Hexley
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill phillips View Post
nope its the 256, i didnt need that big of a drive personally. Besides it makes no difference in the speeds, just the amount of storage..I also enabled trim and formatted and reinstalled the osx as well instead of cloning. Havent noticed any bottle neck so far, but i also have the 16 gb ram i installed as well. Im looking into putting a second 240 pro into the optical bay and running striped raid 0..should be fun
When you do a RAID 0 kindly post the benchmark screen grabs here. I'd be interested in your results.

I want to see 1080p.50 and 1080p59.94 have the green √ sign instead of a grey x for write and read.
Hexley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:59 PM   #54
bill phillips
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
When you do a RAID 0 kindly post the benchmark screen grabs here. I'd be interested in your results.

I want to see 1080p.50 and 1080p59.94 have the green √ sign instead of a grey x for write and read.
will do..I havent ordered it yet, probabally order tonight off amazon, so should be up and running in a few days
bill phillips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:26 AM   #55
shmonkus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill phillips View Post
heres my samsung 840 pro ssd macbook pro 15 inch 2012, 2.3 mhz ml 10.8.2, 16 gb ram
That's pretty sick!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann View Post
Dear shmonkus,

per your (and others here) recommendation:

Order Summary
Qty 1

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820147193


It is on its way.

THEREFORE: any issues, concerns, problems, spinning beach balls, missing assignments or unwelcome plots twists in "The Walking Dead", "Game of Thrones", and "Dexter" are hereby and forever due to this recommendation of yours, and I shall hold you to it.

Will be doing clean install tomorrow.....thank you!!

J

You won't be disappointed!
shmonkus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:49 AM   #56
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816
 
mentaluproar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Every time I stumble across an SSD thread, it tempts me to violate my mac mini's applecare.

stupid 5400 drive makes everything PAINFUL.
__________________
Powered by OSX 10.9 Ocelot
Will someone please make a safari extension that gives us back the downvote button?
mentaluproar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:55 AM   #57
SDAVE
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nowhere
I see many discrepancies in this thread.

A. The Samsung 840 has 250GB/500GB of storage. (those 6/12GB's make a difference)
B. The Samsung 840 uses TLC memory, compared to much reliable 840 Pro and 830 memory modules (ie., they have a shorter lifespan).
C. The 840 Pro is more comparable to the 830, but better.

Samsung discontinued the 830 to have 2 products, using cheaper memory on the 840 and more expensive on the 840 Pro to make the prior more affordable.

I saw the 500GB 840 break the $310 barrier a few days ago and that's a positive thing! I paid that much for the 256GB 830 a few months ago.

An SSD is probably one of the best purchases someone can make for their computer. Speed increases are instant.
__________________
iPhone 5, MacBook Pro (2011), Mac Pro 2008, Apple Cinema Display 30" Aluminium
SDAVE is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:52 AM   #58
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
That is what Time Machine is for.
The TM backup is useless, if TM copies a damaged file (from a defective block on the SSD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
Alternatively I have yet to read of any catastrophic failures on this forum or anywhere else.
All SSDs die sooner or later (except some Intel & Samsung SSDs, which survive a bit longer):
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...e-25nm-Vs-34nm
and
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5155598
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:38 AM   #59
Hexley
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
There you haven't. Te 840 is a Samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
The TM backup is useless, if TM copies a damaged file (from a defective block on the SSD).


All SSDs die sooner or later (except some Intel & Samsung SSDs, which survive a bit longer):
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...e-25nm-Vs-34nm
and
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5155598
Hexley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:22 AM   #60
Pthagonal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Hi guys,

just installed a Samsung SSD 840 Pro in a new Mac Mini, but something appears to be wrong. The system will not boot off of a partition created with Carbon Copy Cloner, and the Disk Speed Test appears to perform the write test OK (around 500 MB/s), but the read test fails after a few seconds with "Error reading the test file".

I just tested writing to the partition and reading the written data, that seemed to work. Cloning the system with CCC seemed to work.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do to figure out what's wrong?
Pthagonal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:40 AM   #61
Hexley
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagonal View Post
Hi guys,

just installed a Samsung SSD 840 Pro in a new Mac Mini, but something appears to be wrong. The system will not boot off of a partition created with Carbon Copy Cloner, and the Disk Speed Test appears to perform the write test OK (around 500 MB/s), but the read test fails after a few seconds with "Error reading the test file".

I just tested writing to the partition and reading the written data, that seemed to work. Cloning the system with CCC seemed to work.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do to figure out what's wrong?
A follow up question...

Why are most installs done using CCC rather than a clean install of the OS then Time Machine the user and apps?
Hexley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:47 AM   #62
ugp
macrumors 65816
 
ugp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Inverness, Florida
Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
A follow up question...

Why are most installs done using CCC rather than a clean install of the OS then Time Machine the user and apps?
Using CCC is a lot faster. A clean install isn't really needed. It's an exact copy and you wouldn't notice the difference prior to the drive switch.

I've done this twice now when switching drives. Never reinstalled since I got my machine. No problems or performance issues.
__________________
15" MBP Mid-2012, 2.6 i7, 16GB, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB + Crucial M4 256GB, 1GB 650m
iPhone 5 16GB Black
2nd Gen 16GB iPad Mini
ugp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:08 AM   #63
Pthagonal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
A follow up question...

Why are most installs done using CCC rather than a clean install of the OS then Time Machine the user and apps?
It's a lot easier and faster. I did try a clean install after the CCC clone failed using the recovery mechanism, but that only ended in a reboot that appeared to be premature (50 minutes left -- read error again?), and then the system wouldn't boot. It still only boots using the preinstalled HD.

I have copied some 70 GB to that drive now, and have tried reading that data, no errors. But the Disk Speed Test throws an error, and the system will not boot of the drive -- I'm not sure what to do to determine the cause of the error.

After all that hassle with the installation of the 2nd drive in the Mac Mini, I'm reluctant to pull the SSD out again and try it in a another machine (my late 2006 MacBook). So if anyone has a hint as to what I could try to narrow down on the cause of these issues, I'd be happy to hear it!
Pthagonal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:18 AM   #64
Pthagonal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagonal View Post
I have copied some 70 GB to that drive now, and have tried reading that data, no errors. But the Disk Speed Test throws an error, and the system will not boot of the drive -- I'm not sure what to do to determine the cause of the error.
Correction: Now I did get an error reading the data, but it happens only rarely. Guess I do have to open the Mac Mini again and hope for the best ...
Pthagonal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:44 AM   #65
Hexley
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Thank Phagonal.

Adorama's $310 offer for the 500GB Samsung 840 expired at 11AM NYC.

BH Photo's selling it for $320. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ries_2_5_.html
Hexley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:30 PM   #66
Pthagonal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagonal View Post
Correction: Now I did get an error reading the data, but it happens only rarely. Guess I do have to open the Mac Mini again and hope for the best ...
Well, I did open it, and thought I had found the problem. The connector cable to the SSD had been loose, must have happened when I put the HDD back in (because it happened again after I fixed the loose cable). After I put everything back in, the system actually booted from the SDD, and I was about to cheer.

BUT the Disk Speed test did die on me again, this time a little later than before. Up to now, it had not passed 200 MBit/s and reported an error reading the file quickly. Now, it will start out at about 400 MBit/s, then go down to about 350 MBit/s, until it reaches somewhere around 300 MBit/s to 320 MBit/s and reports an error.

Seems like I do need to put it in my old MacBook and see if it works in that machine. I kinda think it might still be the connector cable, maybe it got damaged when trying to install the SSD.
Pthagonal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:16 PM   #67
bill phillips
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAVE View Post
I see many discrepancies in this thread.

A. The Samsung 840 has 250GB/500GB of storage. (those 6/12GB's make a difference)
B. The Samsung 840 uses TLC memory, compared to much reliable 840 Pro and 830 memory modules (ie., they have a shorter lifespan).
C. The 840 Pro is more comparable to the 830, but better.

Samsung discontinued the 830 to have 2 products, using cheaper memory on the 840 and more expensive on the 840 Pro to make the prior more affordable.

I saw the 500GB 840 break the $310 barrier a few days ago and that's a positive thing! I paid that much for the 256GB 830 a few months ago.

An SSD is probably one of the best purchases someone can make for their computer. Speed increases are instant.
yes you are right, some people dont realize theres a difference between the 840 and 840 pro...they just see 840 and they look the same. I did a a alot of research and ended up with the 840 pro, it comes in the 256 and the price isn't bad at all imho for what you get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-21 at 2.06.02 PM.png
Views:	201
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	385027  
bill phillips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:37 PM   #68
Hellhammer
Moderator
 
Hellhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann View Post
Hi,

you went with samsung instead of waiting for the Intel 20nm SSDs that should be arriving....soon?

Thanks!
Intel is already using 20nm NAND in their SSD 335. The successor of SSD 520 is still a question but if Intel's roadmap is still the same, then it will just be SSD 525 which is SSD 520 with 20nm NAND (and possible firmware tweaks, but no major differences).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmonkus View Post
Found the quote - it was made by Kristian Vatto, the guy who reviews SSD's on the AnandTech website. Scroll down to the comments section, it's about halfway through page 2 of the comments:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6483/u...0-pro-failures
That's true, Samsung told me that a Mac version of Samsung SSD Magician should be coming early next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenashus1 View Post
It's just that reliability issue that bugs me with the 840 vs. 840 Pro. I wish I could know better about that. You know what I mean? Some reviews say that reliability should not be an issue for the average consumer. Just not sure.
I think you're mixing reliability with endurance. Reliability is very hard to test as there are so many components that can fail. For example the 5200-hour bug in Crucial m4 took months to be discovered as it required the SSD to be used for over 5200 hours.

However, endurance can be tested and I've done that for the SSD 840:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/s...ce-of-tlc-nand

The figures are based on 1,000 P/E cycles rating, but the 120GB SSD 840 in XtremeSystems.org has done nearly 2,000 already, so the figure given by Samsung is very conservative.
__________________
SSD Editor for AnandTech
You can also follow me in Twitter!
Hellhammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:04 PM   #69
Pthagonal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagonal View Post
Seems like I do need to put it in my old MacBook and see if it works in that machine. I kinda think it might still be the connector cable, maybe it got damaged when trying to install the SSD.
Tried the SSD in my MacBook, worked without a hitch (although at much lower speeds, probably to be expected in hardware that is six years old ).

Unless anyone has any ideas how to check what might be causing the spurious read errors of the Samsung 840 Pro in the Mac Mini, I'll be trying another cable as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Does anyone know of such problems in a dual drive Mac Mini? Can there be other reasons for the Samsung 840 Pro to sometimes "hiccup" when reading data? Writing to the SSD does not cause any errors whatsoever!
Pthagonal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:41 PM   #70
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagonal View Post
Tried the SSD in my MacBook, worked without a hitch (although at much lower speeds, probably to be expected in hardware that is six years old ).

Unless anyone has any ideas how to check what might be causing the spurious read errors of the Samsung 840 Pro in the Mac Mini, I'll be trying another cable as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Does anyone know of such problems in a dual drive Mac Mini? Can there be other reasons for the Samsung 840 Pro to sometimes "hiccup" when reading data? Writing to the SSD does not cause any errors whatsoever!
Are you using the original Mini cable, or a cable purchased online?

Could be noise in the cable with the high speeds the 840 pro is capable of achieving.


-howard
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:54 AM   #71
Pthagonal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
Are you using the original Mini cable, or a cable purchased online?

Could be noise in the cable with the high speeds the 840 pro is capable of achieving.
I am using the cable that came with the Dual Hard Drive Kit from iFixit, the original Mini cable is attached to the HDD that the Mini came preinstalled with.

To add insult to injury, the HDD died on me yesterday after I had tested the SSD in my late 2006 MacBook (with the much lower speed that that system is only capable of) and then reassembled the Mini. Hopefully the replacement drive will arrive soon, since right now the Mini is completely dead, because, once again, it will not boot from the SSD, and I'm reluctant to dis- and reassemble the Mini so many times. As seen, something is bound to break sooner or later ...

So what you're saying is that I should try switching the cables of the SSD and the HDD, putting the original cable on the SSD and the cable that came with the kit on the HDD?

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Pthagonal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:30 PM   #72
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagonal View Post
I am using the cable that came with the Dual Hard Drive Kit from iFixit, the original Mini cable is attached to the HDD that the Mini came preinstalled with.

To add insult to injury, the HDD died on me yesterday after I had tested the SSD in my late 2006 MacBook (with the much lower speed that that system is only capable of) and then reassembled the Mini. Hopefully the replacement drive will arrive soon, since right now the Mini is completely dead, because, once again, it will not boot from the SSD, and I'm reluctant to dis- and reassemble the Mini so many times. As seen, something is bound to break sooner or later ...

So what you're saying is that I should try switching the cables of the SSD and the HDD, putting the original cable on the SSD and the cable that came with the kit on the HDD?

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Yeah ... Taking the Mini apart over and over is asking for trouble! Perhaps you can hook it up out on a table. The cables probably can't be swapped due to length, but you might swap drive positions. If the SSD is good, I would suspect the cable.


-howard
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:40 AM   #73
Pthagonal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
Yeah ... Taking the Mini apart over and over is asking for trouble! Perhaps you can hook it up out on a table. The cables probably can't be swapped due to length, but you might swap drive positions. If the SSD is good, I would suspect the cable.
Just wanted to provide a follow-up and the requested info on the Samsung 840 Pro SSD:

After receiving a second cable, I tried both the SSD and the HD with the iFixit cables on both of the connectors on the logic board, and neither combination worked! What does work now, however, is the Samsung SSD in place of the original HD (which is deactivated for now), using the original Mini cable. No more boot problems, no more read errors with the Disk Speed Test.

I will be receiving two more replacement cables (world class support from the local iFixit reseller!), one from iFixit, and one from OWC, but let me just provide the info on the Samsung 840 Pro SSD, which after all is what this thread was meant for.

Note: So far I have been unsuccessful in updating the firmware, even with the CD ROM ISO image. The Mini will not boot from the CD.

Hardware overview

- Screen Size and Model Year
- Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
- Processor Name: Intel Core i7
- Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
- Memory: 16 GB
- Bus Speed: 5 GT/s
- Serial-ATA: 6 GB/s
- TRIM: Off
- OS X version: 10.8.2

Info on the Samsung SSD

- Capacity: 256 GB
- Model: 840 Pro
- Disk bay installed: Main bay
- Firmware version: DXM03B0Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiskSpeedTest HD.png
Views:	100
Size:	735.1 KB
ID:	386517   Click image for larger version

Name:	DiskSpeedTest SSD.png
Views:	87
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	386518  
Pthagonal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:35 AM   #74
hfg
macrumors 68020
 
hfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthagonal View Post
Just wanted to provide a follow-up and the requested info on the Samsung 840 Pro SSD:

After receiving a second cable, I tried both the SSD and the HD with the iFixit cables on both of the connectors on the logic board, and neither combination worked! What does work now, however, is the Samsung SSD in place of the original HD (which is deactivated for now), using the original Mini cable. No more boot problems, no more read errors with the Disk Speed Test.

I will be receiving two more replacement cables (world class support from the local iFixit reseller!), one from iFixit, and one from OWC, but let me just provide the info on the Samsung 840 Pro SSD, which after all is what this thread was meant for.

Note: So far I have been unsuccessful in updating the firmware, even with the CD ROM ISO image. The Mini will not boot from the CD.

Hardware overview

- Screen Size and Model Year
- Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
- Processor Name: Intel Core i7
- Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
- Memory: 16 GB
- Bus Speed: 5 GT/s
- Serial-ATA: 6 GB/s
- TRIM: Off
- OS X version: 10.8.2

Info on the Samsung SSD

- Capacity: 256 GB
- Model: 840 Pro
- Disk bay installed: Main bay
- Firmware version: DXM03B0Q
That speed test is looking pretty good on the 840 Pro!

Really weird about the cable issues you are having. I am using the OWC cable in my 2011 Mini and it works fine with the SSD and the original hard disk in a Fusion arrangement. Perhaps when you receive the OWC part you may have some better luck.

-howard
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:20 AM   #75
Tenashus1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I'm getting 266.8 write, and 512.8 read on my Crucial M4 512gb installed in a mid 2012 MBP 13" with i7, and 8gb ram. Big, big, big improvement over the stock 750gb, 5200 rpm HDD. Hooray! Oops, sorry. I forgot this was the Sammy thread. Oh well.
Tenashus1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC