Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:46 PM   #1
ben2e
macrumors member

2011 27" iMac Hard Drive switch with sensor

I know this subject has lots of coverage. I'm aware of fixes with grounding the 2-7 Sata pins to disable the drive sensor and using software to control fan speed and yes, this is part of an SSD install. The local Apple Service Provider says they install a separate sensor such as this:

http://applecomponents.com/items/922...72&per_page=30

(I'm not sure I have the right part). Has anyone done it this way or know what parts are necessary ? They charge $90 for the sensor and $50 above the fee for adding an SSD so total is $300. It's a little on the steep side for adding a sensor but when I tried my iMac surgery, it wasn't much fun.

I have a Seagate Barracuda 3TB I plan to install. I'd also read if you bought the same brand drive as you had (my prior 27" iMac had a 1TB Barracuda) that the sensor may be in the drive and setup already. Of course I'd prefer to do this work once and only once so I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried this.

Thanks in advance

Ben
ben2e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:44 PM   #2
ben2e
macrumors member

Replacing my 1TB Barracuda with the 3TB Barracuda did indeed spin up my fan. I finally bailed and took it to the local mac repair ship that had a German retrofit part that contained an actual temperature control sensor. The part was $90 so it makes for an expensive extra 2 TB. Sorry, since the shop did the install, I don't know the exact part but I did see a few with a brief search so they're out there, just not easy to get.
ben2e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:46 PM   #3
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
Replacing my 1TB Barracuda with the 3TB Barracuda did indeed spin up my fan. I finally bailed and took it to the local mac repair ship that had a German retrofit part that contained an actual temperature control sensor. The part was $90 so it makes for an expensive extra 2 TB. Sorry, since the shop did the install, I don't know the exact part but I did see a few with a brief search so they're out there, just not easy to get.
You could have just used a wire to ground the connection. I did it with the wire from a twisty-tie.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:01 AM   #4
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

He said he did that but is looking for a solution so that the fans/sensor works just like with a stock drive.

I've been at the point where I wish my fans would work automatically w/o fan control software myself.
Anytime someone uses either my '09 or '11 iMac I always have to remind them and check to make sure the fans are cranked up before gaming, hell even my sister-in-law playing Facebook games will turn the machines into a space heater if the fans aren't turned up beforehand.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac