Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 23, 2005, 01:52 AM   #1
California
macrumors 68040

Airport extreme stopped working after memory upgrade?

Just had someone put memory into a new 12" iBook 1.2ghz. (Purchased August.) Now, the machine tells me that the airport is connected okay in System profile, but "no network detected" .

Could it be an antenna problem? (Did the guy bend it or something?) The PCs (shudder) in the house are all connecting fine.

Anyone know any refresh/restart thing to do for Airport Extreme on an iBook?
California is offline   0
Old Sep 23, 2005, 02:03 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Does it work again if you take the memory out?
Old Sep 23, 2005, 04:40 AM   #3
lexfuzo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by California
Could it be an antenna problem? (Did the guy bend it or something?) The PCs (shudder) in the house are all connecting fine.
I'd have a look at the memory/airport compartment if everything is connected properly. It's not hard to do, you'll need a small screwdriver, feeling in your fingers and these instructions:
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/doityourself/
lexfuzo is offline   0
Old Sep 24, 2005, 03:10 AM   #4
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexfuzo
I'd have a look at the memory/airport compartment if everything is connected properly. It's not hard to do, you'll need a small screwdriver, feeling in your fingers and these instructions:
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/doityourself/
yeah, thanks! It took one push of my index finger -- the antenna wasn't plugged in all the way.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 03:18 AM   #5
lexfuzo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by California
the antenna wasn't plugged in all the way.
Glad to hear that!
Have fun!
lexfuzo is offline   0
Old Sep 24, 2005, 03:38 AM   #6
wongulous
macrumors 6502a

The exact same thing happened to me on my iBook. I had to take out the AirPort Express card to get at this door (with these tiny screws! god I hate screws--the iBook has about 96 too many!), and then to install the RAM. I ended up ****ing up my antenna plug/cable or whatever too, so I had to fiddle with it a coupla times to get it to work right. Kinda scrry when you think you just broke your new computarmachine by manhandling it while upgrading.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:38 PM   #7
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongulous
The exact same thing happened to me on my iBook. I had to take out the AirPort Express card to get at this door (with these tiny screws! god I hate screws--the iBook has about 96 too many!), and then to install the RAM. I ended up ****ing up my antenna plug/cable or whatever too, so I had to fiddle with it a coupla times to get it to work right. Kinda scrry when you think you just broke your new computarmachine by manhandling it while upgrading.
If your machine is still under warranty, this is a user upgrade, so Apple might help you recover cost of new card or anntenna. This was exactly why I don't like doing things on my machines myself, though I kinda know how to do them.

Once, I had a memory upgrade for an old Tibook and i was smart enough to call Apple and have them on the phone as the little white things that hold the memory cards broke! Because I was on thephone with them and because it should have been user friendly, they sent me a NEW LOGIC BOARD. Apple has been GREAT to me. Thank you Apple.

This antenna thing on my iBook was just a mistake done by the guy who installed, not a big deal. He just did not push it in all the way. Apple diagrams helped me figure it out.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers