Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I need to know where I can purchase an iPhone 4S a couple requirements, though:

- should be *brand new*, unopened box
- should be unlocked (plan on using it on T-Mobile)
- need to pick it up in person (no ordering online)
- Should be somewhere reputable (WalMart, Apple, T-Mobile, AT&T etc.)

Where can I find a brand new, unlocked iPhone 4S in person without having to order it online? Are T-Mobile retail stores selling unlocked iPhone 4S' in their retail chains? What about Walmart? Apple?

Someone help me out here.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Just out of curiosity, any reason you want this? :)

Because I think even if you do find one, it's going to be the same price as a 5.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012

Because I think even if you do find one, it's going to be the same price as a 5.

Why would an unlocked iPhone 4S cost the same as an unlocked 5? :D There are tons of reasons I want one:

- I'm not on a plan with any of the three carriers that offer the phone
- I don't want to be locked into a contract with my phone.
- My aunt is willing to buy me one for x-mas (but not a 5, too expensive)
- I like the design of 4S better than 5 (no bendgate, no scuffgate, love glass)

So I can only get a brand new unlocked iPhone 4S in person from the Apple store? I heard somewhere that WalMarts offer unlocked iPhone 4S' in retail stores, as well as some Carrier retail chains (like AT&T, T-Mobile). Can anyone confirm this?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011

It's unbelievable that people are willing to answer a question that they haven't a clue about.

OP. You can buy a brand new iPhone 4S straight from Apple on their website. There's no hoops to jump through. Just hit the 'buy now' button under the iPhone 4S, pick your color and then under the section that has the carrier choices there will be a link that says 'Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free'.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
OP, are we talking about a cash purchase with small bills? :)

No OK, as already mentioned APPLE with local PU. Can't get newer than that!

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
False.
OP: Apple Store online for $549 16 GB GSM 4S. Unlocked of course. Buy it and pick it up in store. :)

Hence why I wrote "I think" ;)

Anyway that's good to know, I didn't know you could not buy previous generation iPhones from Apple, learn something new everyday :)

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Ordering online is not an option, it has to be in person. I'm not sure how close the nearest Apple store is to my Aunt's house, and I don't want her to have to go through a lot of trouble to get the phone.

So you're saying that they don't offer unlocked iPhones at WalMart? Or at AT&T where I can then subscribe to T-Mobile since they're both GSM bands? Or what about at the T-Mobile store itself?

Or is it only possible to buy a brand new unlocked iPhone 4S at Apple?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Ordering online is not an option, it has to be in person. I'm not sure how close the nearest Apple store is to my Aunt's house, and I don't want her to have to go through a lot of trouble to get the phone.

Is anybody buying this story?

If you are really concerned about your Aunt, YOU buy the phone, YOU set it up with an account, and just drive it to her in person ready to use. As we here all know, buying is not the problem, it when the carrier give her stories, try to up-sell her, tell her she needs to purchase insurance and the under carriage coating.

Fes up man, what's the REAL scoop?

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Is anybody buying this story?

If you are really concerned about your Aunt, YOU buy the phone, YOU set it up with an account, and just drive it to her in person ready to use. As we here all know, buying is not the problem, it when the carrier give her stories, try to up-sell her, tell her she needs to purchase insurance and the under carriage coating.

Fes up man, what's the REAL scoop?

Not exactly what "story" you're referring to... First of all, she's buying me the phone for Christmas, not the other way around? But I don't want her to go through the trouble of ordering it online (it would also take a long time). Did you even bother reading through the thread?

Secondly, she knows that I'm with T-Mobile and need an iPhone 4S that is unlocked - so the latter part of your post confuses the hell out of me.

Can anyone verify if it's possible to buy an unlocked iPhone 4S at a Best Buy?

jrm725

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Everyone here has already answered your question.

Order it online via Apple Store yourself using her info and have it shipped to a store close to her. She can go pick it up herself. No other store carries these anymore.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Everyone here has already answered your question.

Order it online via Apple Store yourself using her info and have it shipped to a store close to her. She can go pick it up herself. No other store carries these anymore.

Not sure if you read through the thread yet, but I'll say it again... the phone is for ME - NOT her - so me ordering it online would be pointless, and she most likely wouldn't give me her credit card info.

She just told me that she would have no problem buying an unlocked iPhone 4S for me for Christmas - so I wanted to know if it's possible to buy unlocked iPhones (brand new) in other electronic retail stores other than Apple (because there's no Apple stores near her house). I *could* ask her to order it on Apple's website but it seems like more trouble for her - before I ask her to do that, I want to find out if other popular retail chains sell the device new and unlocked first.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
If I buy an AT&T iPhone 4S at Best Buy (no contract), would it be possible to unlock it and get it to work with T-Mobile?

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
If I buy an AT&T iPhone 4S at Best Buy (no contract), would it be possible to unlock it and get it to work with T-Mobile?

So let me get this straight - you'd rather pay an extra $50-$100 than the regular price...just to avoid an Apple Retail store? (Best Buy charges way more for out-of-contract phones)

Yes, you could make that happen. But you'd have to get it unlocked through AT&T. I have no idea how you'd do that without an active AT&T account...maybe someone else has an idea about that.

Trust me, man...don't know what the challenge is, but no one sells unlocked iPhones at retail stores except for the Apple Retail store. You said you had no idea how far the closest one is to you. Here is the link below...please type in your zip code and find out.

http://www.apple.com/retail

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
So let me get this straight - you'd rather pay an extra $50-$100 than the regular price...just to avoid an Apple Retail store? (Best Buy charges way more for out-of-contract phones)

Yes, you could make that happen. But you'd have to get it unlocked through AT&T. I have no idea how you'd do that without an active AT&T account...maybe someone else has an idea about that.

Trust me, man...don't know what the challenge is, but no one sells unlocked iPhones at retail stores except for the Apple Retail store. You said you had no idea how far the closest one is to you. Here is the link below...please type in your zip code and find out.

http://www.apple.com/retail

Best Buy doesn't offer unlocked iPhones, period -- so I'm not sure where you got the idea that they charge $50 - $100 more. Trust me, I've tried to find unlocked iPhones from there.

jeep92

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Best Buy doesn't offer unlocked iPhones, period -- so I'm not sure where you got the idea that they charge $50 - $100 more. Trust me, I've tried to find unlocked iPhones from there.

You obviously didn't get what he was saying, period. He was saying he would spend more money for an out of contract phone and THEN have to ask AT&T to unlock it.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
You obviously didn't get what he was saying, period. He was saying he would spend more money for an out of contract phone and THEN have to ask AT&T to unlock it.

Reread the quote, smart guy. He clearly implies that Best Buy offers out of contract phones (aka unlocked phones) - which they don't. Did you even read the thread? What does AT&T unlocking a phone have to do with anything? OP clearly states tons of times that he's using T-Mobile - I'm assuming he was curious as to whether or not he could unlock an AT&T iPhone because both AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.

Read through the thread before you spout.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I need to know where I can purchase an iPhone 4S a couple requirements, though:

- should be *brand new*, unopened box
- should be unlocked (plan on using it on T-Mobile)
- need to pick it up in person (no ordering online)
- Should be somewhere reputable (WalMart, Apple, T-Mobile, AT&T etc.)

Where can I find a brand new, unlocked iPhone 4S in person without having to order it online? Are T-Mobile retail stores selling unlocked iPhone 4S' in their retail chains? What about Walmart? Apple?

Someone help me out here.

If you buy directly from Apple it will come unlocked if you are planning on paying full price.

Next best option is to buy from At&t. Although it wont come unlocked directly out of the box, since you purchased it with them they will have record of you paying full price and unlock it with a simple phone call.

If you buy from walmart or best buy you will have to fax in receipts and whatnot to provide proof you paid full price and that can take some time to process.

Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.