Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I bought my MacBook 5 years ago today! Best computer ive ever owned. I hope she has a few good years left in her.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
I bought my MacBook 5 years ago today! Best computer ive ever owned. I hope she has a few good years left in her.

Hope you backup the HDD and or have changed it in that time frame. Depending on your usage the life of the HDD is likely coming to its end. Also, I'd imagine the battery probably doesn't last too long. Make sure you are not bottlenecking your machine with low RAM. Check the number of pageouts and find out.

Either way, my Aluminum MB Unibody Late 2008 is still going strong. I recently changed the HDD though. My battery is definitely not like it used to be though.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Macs Last... at least in my experience.

Had a couple of PowerBooks, then a couple of MBP's. All did quite well.

My 15" Mid 2010 is still as good as new :)

matt550

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Hope you backup the HDD and or have changed it in that time frame. Depending on your usage the life of the HDD is likely coming to its end. Also, I'd imagine the battery probably doesn't last too long. Make sure you are not bottlenecking your machine with low RAM. Check the number of pageouts and find out.

Either way, my Aluminum MB Unibody Late 2008 is still going strong. I recently changed the HDD though. My battery is definitely not like it used to be though.

Original HDD. I have a Time Capsule I back up to frequently.

Battery sucks. If its not plugged in, I bet I can get an hour out of it? maybe a little more.

RAM is fine. I upgraded to 4GB pretty much out of the box.

It doesnt get used a lot. I use my phone or ipad for pretty much everything. I might use the macbook a few hours a week is all.

jezzy

Suspended
Jan 12, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
wife's white MacBook is now 7 years old. only thing I've done was put 2gb ram in it. original hdd and battery, everything running like a dream! fantastic machine!

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
My friends macbook survived 5 years and a few beers spilt on it only had a replaced keyboard. For months I told my friend to do a backup. It then died. He didn't have a backup. He cried and bought a new macbook air.

Reactions: fkd0naldtrump

aixporter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2009
statistically speaking, 90% of all computers fail within their first year of use. So if you're computer is good to go 4 years, it'll probably last u another 4 years.

Reactions: elf69

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No source exists. It's complete crap, as is the logic that it will fail in the first year or not at all. He's either trolling or ignorant.

I know. :) I realize a great deal of statistics are made up, but that is so absurd that only the ignorant could believe it.

Reactions: poiihy

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
My trusty late 2008 unibody MacBook is still running strong too. Best laptop I ever purchased no doubt about it. I know I will eventually need to upgrade but I really dislike the loss of easily replaceable batteries :(

The only 2 upgrades I've done are 8GB RAM and I put a 750GB hybrid hard disk in it. She purrs like a kitten and does absolutely everything I need it to.

Like I said I know I'm due for an upgrade and I will in time (I want USB 3.0 & Thunderbolt, those are biggies for me personally) but for right now the old MacBook still does the trick. Looks and runs every bit as good (and better with the upgrades) than the day I bought it.

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
I've just bought a used 2008 MacBook White, with new battery 4 GBs of RAM new hard drive and new MagSafe charger the battery lasts 5 hours, its in a excelent condition so what its 5 years old it rocks! Since I'll be using in collage its more than enough oh and it's a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz :cool: does any one still have a MacBook White and uses it has their primary machine?

4zuresky

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
Hey! I also have a 2008 macbook unibody aluminum. I bought mine the day after black Friday in '08. It's still running strong! I've recently put in a total of 6 gb of RAM and installed a SSD and it runs like a beast now haha. Even faster than the current MBP (boot up and loading apps - wise). I didn't want to put in $1000 for a new macbook so this was the best option!

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Glad to see that you've enjoyed your Mac, I'm currently on my 2nd Mac because i ended up giving my 2009 macbook to my little cousins, but now I'm rockin a 2012 macbook pro 13"

I've been very pleased with both machines, but i also had a Desktop that i built but ended up selling. :p

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
My wife has just bought a late 2006 white Macbook. It`s her first Mac.
New battery and refurbed case.
Hope to get a good couple of years out of it and then she`ll inherit my Mid 2010 MBP when I upgrade to a Retina.
At which point we`ll give the Macbook to our daughter assuming it`s still working OK.

Lifespan on these things is unreal if looked after, all my Windows laptops were dead/dying after 3 years.

iPhonagain

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Indy
I have the last model Black MacBook, late 2007 or early 2008, not sure which.
I got it two years ago used, but I'd swear whoever had it originally didn't use it much cause it was like-new.
I absolutely LOVE it too. My first Mac notebook but definitely not my last.
So far I've upgraded the RAM to 6gigs and put in a 120gig SSD, and it is awesomely fast! Original battery still holds up to 90% charge, not bad at all.
My only wish is that I could run Mountain Lion on it. Oh well, need a reason to get a Retina MacBook anyways!
I love the black, wish Apple still had them.

Nice to see so many other folks running old systems too!

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
Alum Macbook 2009

I love my MacBook and wouldn't get rid of it for the world. I've had it since day one and it has never let me down thus far! 6GB RAM, 120 SSD, and new battery upgrades recently, runs great! :D

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
my macbook just started to enter into its 8th year. It is the first macbook that was released....I am wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the memory to beyond 2 GB?
only thing i've had to replace is battery, and oh the wifi/bluetooth dont work properly so i needed to get external adapters for those..

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
My 2008 black Macbook is still running strong. Just needs a new battery but I've been running it without a battery for at least a year so it's not really an issue.

My 2010 white MacBooks battery swelled forcing the trackpad to break through the case. There were two tabs that pushed through the plastic breaking it. I use it in closed mode connected to a 24" Samsung monitor. I bought the MB used almost two years ago. I poked through the pouch wrapping the battery with a pin to release the gas and it'e been running fine ever since. Others who have had the same problem did the same thing and reported no further problems with the battery for years.

I'll continue using both till they quit and then I'll buy a few more used Macs. Been thinking of buying a Mac Mini.

Attachments

• photo-51839113502.JPG
    photo-51839113502.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 549
Last edited:

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
My 2008 black Macbook is still running strong. Just needs a new battery but I've been running it without a battery for at least a year so it's not really an issue.

My 2010 white MacBooks battery swelled forcing the trackpad to break through the case. There were two tabs that pushed through the plastic breaking it. I use it in closed mode connected to a 24" Samsung monitor. I bought the MB used almost two years ago. I poked through the pouch wrapping the battery with a pin to release the gas and it'e been running fine ever since. Others who have had the same problem did the same thing and reported no further problems with the battery for years.

I'll continue using both till they quit and then I'll buy a few more used Macs. Been thinking of buying a Mac Mini.

I' d definitely remove that battery on your 2010 MB, especially if you've taken the gas out with a pin. The battery is held in with a tri wing screw. Tri wing screwdrivers can be picked up fairly cheaply on places such as amazon. The battery in that state can leak causing damage to the logic board and is also certainly a fire hazard. Try to replace it as soon as you can. As for the trackpad breaking through the top case, Have you taken your MB into the genius bar. A friend of mine about 2 weeks ago took his into the Covent garden store with an almost identical issue to yours and he managed to have his top case replaced FOC (He also had a mid 2010 white MB and it was out of warranty). Might be worth a try.

APhillyApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
White MacBook 2008 still running strong!! Never really had any issues with it. Lion 10.7.5 is the OS and it runs smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.