Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:16 AM   #76
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Oksol View Post
Steve Jobs said it would be easier for Apple to double its market share, than it would be for Microsoft to double its market share.
What Steve Jobs did was create really great products that people wanted when be came back as CEO of Apple. However, it seems lately, the iPhone/iOS platform is getting mundane. Times to get things rolling again.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:29 AM   #77
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
What Steve Jobs did was create really great products that people wanted when be came back as CEO of Apple. However, it seems lately, the iPhone/iOS platform is getting mundane. Times to get things rolling again.
Heads rolled in the past few months.
__________________
rMBP'12 15" 2.3GHz, iPad Air 2 LTE 64GB, iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
iMac'08/24",Mini'09,MBP'10/15",MBA'11/13". iPhone 5s,5,4S,4,3GS. iPT: 3,1. iPad: Air,4,3,2,1,Mini2. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09,TC'13.
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:33 AM   #78
Ted13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
Have you even BEEN to China? Most of the country most assuredly does not live like that. A lot do, but not most. Even a small city in China has a population over a million.
Having googled: currently rural vs. urban population in (Mainland) China is approximately 50/50 -- so: about half live like that.
__________________
Macintosh owner since March 3rd 1984
Ted13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:39 AM   #79
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816
 
iMcLovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
2 million sold in a country of 1.4b people isnīt that high. But I think its a suitable number for such an expensive phone as apple sells. Android is sold on a lot of cheap products. People sort of forget that apple makes high quality and design products that isnīt really aimed at the average user (or at least it shouldnt be). All apple products are made for the upper middle class and up. THe fact that so many walks around with an iphone today is really amazing, a lot of people must have really struggled to save up for that phone....which also proves that apple has managed to dig deep into poor pockets for their expensive products...which is impressive in a way. Itīs gonna be interesting to see if the day comes when Foxconn workers walk around with an iphone each, which they saved up for over a long period of time.
__________________
27" iMac Retina | 13" MacBook Air - 2013 | iPhone 6 | iPad Air 2 ...etc
iMcLovin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:41 AM   #80
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
But it's just a taller iPhone 4
But that's a "boring" UI
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:52 AM   #81
firewood
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobob View Post
Time to update your stereotype.
Check out the median (as in 50th percentile) in personal wealth before updating. The ones living in the Foxconn dorms are probably above that.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:54 AM   #82
BvizioN
macrumors 68020
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
The iPad mini is a perfect example. It's an overpriced item for it's specs. The Nexus 7 beats in every way hands down.
Of course. If you say so.
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:00 AM   #83
i.mac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
How does that benefit the consumer?
easy, get an android for free. those copy the iphone for free. the condumer wins... so says fandroid folks.
__________________
mac classic, quadra, etc...
i.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:01 AM   #84
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukernik View Post
$850/$975/$1100

3G contracts in China start at $7 a month for 150mb 50min and go up from there with the most expensive plan costing $140 a month. Anything you use in excess of that costs $0.05 per MB and $0.025 per minute. Text messages are usually free on contracts.

Here are the iPhone specific plans:
http://3g.10010.com/3gindex/3gfee/iPhone_plan.html
Here are the subsidies for various contracts:
http://iphone.10010.com
100 RMB = 16 USD
So the person who was posting that there were huge give-aways to incent iPhone sales in China was ignoring the fact that ATT/Sprint/VZ each "give-away" $450 of incentive on each iPhone sold....I doubt the goodies given in China approach this level of incentive.
BruiserB is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:21 AM   #85
Vinamra
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
And most of the Chinese population live in conditions like this:

Thumb resize.
The mountain in the background looks like one giant roller coaster to me
Vinamra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:32 AM   #86
zukernik
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruiserB View Post
So the person who was posting that there were huge give-aways to incent iPhone sales in China was ignoring the fact that ATT/Sprint/VZ each "give-away" $450 of incentive on each iPhone sold....I doubt the goodies given in China approach this level of incentive.
Prices for a 16gb with a 2 year contract in RMB:

66/month 4299 phone
96/month 3999 phone
126/month 3599 phone
156/month 3299 phone
186/month 2999 phone
226/month 2599 phone
286/month 1899 phone
386+/month free phone
zukernik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:33 AM   #87
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinamra View Post
The mountain in the background looks like one giant roller coaster to me
The literal meaning of the Chinese characters for the word "roller coaster" is "pass-mountain-car"
__________________
rMBP'12 15" 2.3GHz, iPad Air 2 LTE 64GB, iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
iMac'08/24",Mini'09,MBP'10/15",MBA'11/13". iPhone 5s,5,4S,4,3GS. iPT: 3,1. iPad: Air,4,3,2,1,Mini2. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09,TC'13.
haruhiko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:36 AM   #88
MH01
macrumors 68040
 
MH01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
And they want to rush out a 5S?

Madness. Iphone 5 is a massive upgrade over the previous Iphones and could easily sell what the Iphone 4 managed.
Massive upgrade lol. Maybe for u, maybe for u...
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:46 AM   #89
SleepyCasper
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
800 million out of 1.35 billion people are relatively poor peasants or workers. I say the number is very impressive given the recent report about Android's 90%+ market share in China. Back here in Macrumors a lot of people were bashing Apple in the other thread about the non-existence of waiting lines outside Apple Stores in China .
The major factor for Android so popular in China is because they are cheap. You could easily get one Android handset in less than 120 USD in China. As many people stated the fact that majority of mainland China people only earning tiny salary. So, as only Android is providing cheap smartphone, it could easily take high penetration rate.

Moreover, a non-official fact that Android is easier for pirated software while iPhone (especially latest IOS 6 devices) is almost impossible. Only some rich people or people who don't mind to pay for apps do find the iPhone good.

I know quite some friends living in mainland and when I asked why they choose Android, they offer me the same answer - "All sofware are "free" "
SleepyCasper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:51 AM   #90
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
2 million out of a population of 1.35 billion, doesn't look impressive...
But 1 billion only earn $2.53/week, they're prolly saving up for the iPhone 12
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:52 AM   #91
pinwanger
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will do good View Post
A restaurant worker can afford an iPhone5, are you kidding? Have you been to China and see a typical restaurant in small towns and outside of Beijing and Shanghai center? They are lucky to afford a regular smart phone.

----------



No use talking to trolls. They won't let facts get in the way.
Why do everyone assume I am kidding, I was born and raised in China.

Let's do the math here, a restaurant worker can rake in about $2000 yuan + bonus a month. All of his or her living expenses (food + housing) are covered by the restaurant (typical practice). With no taxes on those money, a person can save up to $24000 yuan + bonus annual. That's about 4 grand in the banks or gadgets.

Now keep in mind I am only talking about a restaurant worker here. Though it is true about what you said regarding rural restaurants, but the majority of restaurants are not there.

Last edited by pinwanger; Dec 17, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
pinwanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:52 AM   #92
KiiD
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
Care to provide a reference for that claim since it seems highly unlikely to be true.

Actually it took Samsung a little less than 2 months to hit 10 million which is the fastest selling Andriod smartphone so no need to compare another.. It's Arch nemesis (iphone5) however, hit 5 million (half) in just the first weekend. Although it was predicted to hit 6mil it still is record breaking (It's Predecessor the iPhone 4S hit 4mil and it's opening weekend) and yes I have a reference. Or u can look up the hundreds of links saying the same thing on other search engines if u like 😁
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9419878/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-breaks-10-million-sales.html

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/24/technology/apple-iphone-5-sales/index.html
KiiD is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:54 AM   #93
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a
 
inscrewtable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
And most of the Chinese population live in conditions like this:

Thumb resize.

Looks a lot nicer place to live than NYC
inscrewtable is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:55 AM   #94
SleepyCasper
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
Check out the median (as in 50th percentile) in personal wealth before updating. The ones living in the Foxconn dorms are probably above that.
Totally agreed, also, it depends on location. Workers in ShenZhen Foxconn may earn like 500-600 USD in average monthly while other Foxconn factories may only earn half of that.
SleepyCasper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:56 AM   #95
pinwanger
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by viacavour View Post
Nonsense ! I helped set up a software development center in 2 China cities. And invested in a friend's restaurant there. This is definitely not true even in the richest Chinese cities.
Have you ever been to China? last time I went, everyone and their mother had a smart phone and I wasn't even in the richest Chinese cities.
pinwanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:58 AM   #96
apesta
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I just don't get why a lot of people need to compare android phones to iPhone. There are way more cell phone companies that uses android os while IOS is exclusive to just apple. Obviously the amount of Android users will outnumber the IOS. I would love to see whats the best weekend sales figure for Samsung Galaxy s3 was.
apesta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:06 AM   #97
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyCasper View Post
The major factor for Android so popular in China is because they are cheap. You could easily get one Android handset in less than 120 USD in China. As many people stated the fact that majority of mainland China people only earning tiny salary. So, as only Android is providing cheap smartphone, it could easily take high penetration rate.

Moreover, a non-official fact that Android is easier for pirated software while iPhone (especially latest IOS 6 devices) is almost impossible. Only some rich people or people who don't mind to pay for apps do find the iPhone good.

I know quite some friends living in mainland and when I asked why they choose Android, they offer me the same answer - "All sofware are "free" "
Even in Hong Kong, people like to say that everything is free for Android.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyCasper View Post
Totally agreed, also, it depends on location. Workers in ShenZhen Foxconn may earn like 500-600 USD in average monthly while other Foxconn factories may only earn half of that.
Minimum wage in Shenzhen is CNY1600 (USD256).
__________________
rMBP'12 15" 2.3GHz, iPad Air 2 LTE 64GB, iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
iMac'08/24",Mini'09,MBP'10/15",MBA'11/13". iPhone 5s,5,4S,4,3GS. iPT: 3,1. iPad: Air,4,3,2,1,Mini2. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09,TC'13.
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:07 AM   #98
unlinked
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiiD View Post
and yes I have a reference. Or u can look up the hundreds of links saying the same thing on other search engines if u like ��
References for the truth are usually easy enough to find but I was wondering where he got the less optimistic than reality sgs3 figures from.
unlinked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:11 AM   #99
goobot
macrumors 601
 
goobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: long island NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
Looks a lot nicer place to live than NYC
I doubt you have been to NYC.
__________________
Unibody Macbook |iPad|Apple TV 2|Black iPhone 6
goobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:20 AM   #100
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
China is a Germany or UK attached to a dirt poor country of over 1 billion. Unless Apple releases a $99 phone (unsubsidized) they will get Western European sales results from China.

What?...."China is a Germany or UK attached to a dirt poor country"....eh?
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c Sales Top Nine Million in Launch Weekend MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 537 Sep 27, 2013 10:25 AM
iPhone 5 Sales Top Five Million in Launch Weekend MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 218 Sep 25, 2012 12:27 PM
iPhone 5 weekend sales NOT as good as predicted. fishmd iPhone 9 Sep 24, 2012 10:08 AM
iPhone 5 Sales Predicted to Hit 8 Million Units in Launch Weekend MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 196 Sep 24, 2012 02:22 AM
iPhone 5 sales first weekend prediction smoledman Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 0 Aug 29, 2012 01:57 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC