Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
As I have stated elsewhere, I intend to replace the stock 1TB HDD in my new iMac with an SSD (exact model yet to be determined). To me, this seems that this will be a reasonably simple project: it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to replace the HDD with a decent SSD.

By contrast installing a blade of flash storage seems a far larger project (and the SSD will also be considerably more expensive). So is anyone out there planning on installing a blade SSD, and if so why?

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
One word: space.

Umm... are you talking about capacity (in the sense of, "in order to increase storage capacity") or are you talking about physical space?

Physical space would explain the motivation Apple has for using blades, but not the motivation for an individual to install them, so I'm going to assume that you are talking about capacity, meaning that you want to install both a 2.5" SSD and a blade SSD in order to increase the overall capacity.

If this is what you are saying that I can understand, but I would personally rather install a smaller SSD now and upgrade it later (open the iMac twice) rather than install a blade SSD; there seems to be a high premium on blades.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Physical space - Apple's reason.

It is up to the end user what route they want to take, Blade or 2.5" traditional

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Until someone figures out otherwise (and hopefully they will) you can only fit a drive in 2 places in the iMac: the blade connection and the drive bay. If you want to maximise either the amount of SSD or the amount of drive space you go for a blade (with or without swapping the HDD).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.