Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Petronas
macrumors regular

Google Drive Thread

Long time Dropbox user but am obsessed with account minimization and have been dabbling in Google Drive for a little while. I've seen that they have recently allowed you to delete files from the iOS app however you still can't send files via email/SMS, or can you?

Anyway what are your opinions of Dropbox vs Drive for iOS? It seems Drive has 'almost' everything Dropbox has in terms of features plus a few more which include text editing and so on.

I'm eagerly waiting to make the jump (One less account to worry about).
Petronas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:53 AM   #2
danbeckemeyer
macrumors newbie

I use them both.

I've had Drive for quite some time, but I'm migrating files over. I do illustration and graphic design work, and most drawing apps on the iPad feature Dropbox storage/backup and other features like uploading custom fonts, etc. Since I've yet to see one of these apps support Drive, I am focusing my Dropbox on this only category.

My Drive will be holding my personal photo/video backup and all misc. documents & files. Dropbox features an automatic uploader for photos and videos, but I found that it was saving doubles of many files. I'm looking into if Drive can upload automatically—it has been trying to with Google+ anyway!
danbeckemeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:35 AM   #3
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

I use both for a long time (Google Docs before Drive). Drive on the PC/Mac is so terrible that I've moved all my data to Dropbox (80+GB). Google Drive I used awhile for my documents as 80+GB on Google Drive really... REALLY .... really slowed it down (30+ mins of indexing at *every* startup - kills laptop battery life).

Dropbox seems to be better - has the automatic photo import (have to open it up, not sure how automatic that is)... Google Drive doesn't have that feature yet as far as I know - Google+ app does. Google's photo storage is pretty good - price wise. Loved Picasa but haven't used it recently - been storing everything on Dropbox just because it's a bit easier to copy a folder of pictures to Dropbox than to have a crappy Google Drive program on my PC (Dropbox is decades ahead of Google Drive atm).

Nothing beats Google's search though... Dropbox's search has been getting a lot better. Nothing beats Google's storage prices... but their PC app just kills that for me. Dropbox it is.

No doubt though, big company like Google? Only a matter of time before it perfects Google Drive to pass Dropbox in the near future. So I keep a paid 100GB Google Drive account going for when that happens.

On the iPhone Dropbox seems better but Google isn't far behind at all.
BigMcGuire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronas View Post
Anyway what are your opinions of Dropbox vs Drive for iOS?
I use both. Pkgbackup doesn't work with Drive AFAIK.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:23 AM   #5
Petronas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
On the iPhone Dropbox seems better but Google isn't far behind at all.
I see this too. I don't really see anything that Dropbox excels at on iOS over Drive that is of any significance to me. Perhaps one thing is being able to put a password on application entry.

One thing I can't work out is, how do you share files from Drive iOS app like you do in Dropbox. In Dropbox when you email a file it sends a link to download the file to your recipient but in Drive it seems the recipient must have a Google account to view the shared files?

Edit: You cannot share links via the iOS app yet...
http://support.google.com/drive/bin/...answer=2498081

Integration of the app "Phone Drive" was a major factor for me but I have realized that you can "Open file in Phone Drive" from the Google Drive app (This allows me to attach files that are not pictures to emails rather than send a link to them).

Does anyone know if you can re-open a Dropbox account using the same Name/Email after you have deleted the account? I realize that you probably will loose all the free space you accumulated over time.

Last edited by Petronas; Dec 18, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Petronas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps