Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
So, I got a hand me down 2.0 Dual Core 2005 G5 PowerMac.

I have ordered 8GB of Ram and a 240GB SSD for it and have dropped in a 1TB drive.

Currently I have Tiger on it, but want to buy a copy of Leopard when I get the SSD drive, but was intrigued by the idea of installing Leopard Server instead and using it as a Time Machine server for my Macbook Airs.

My plan is to use the PowerMac for Final Cut Express video editing, photoshop duties as well as being a media store.

I have been thinking of buying a Time Capsule, but if i can use Leopard Server and have it as a TM backup server, that would be very useful.

I have a few questions as I am assessing the feasibility of it;

1- How easy is it to set up?
2- How reliable is it?
3- Will if affect the performance of other functions for the PowerMac such as my video editing?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
1- How easy is it to set up?
2- How reliable is it?
3- Will if affect the performance of other functions for the PowerMac such as my video editing?
1. It's easy to set up. It works just like any other file share.
2. The PowerMac G5 is very reliable.
3. Yes, when backups are working, there will be a bit of an impact. Just like any other file share.

Of note, if you're primarily using your PMG5 as a Time Machine server, it's using a LOT of electricity doing it. Not the file serving function; just that the PMG5 is quite the electricity hog. Having a NAS or USB drives attached to an Airport Express base station are far more energy efficient and will do the same thing.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Of note, if you're primarily using your PMG5 as a Time Machine server, it's using a LOT of electricity doing it. Not the file serving function; just that the PMG5 is quite the electricity hog. Having a NAS or USB drives attached to an Airport Express base station are far more energy efficient and will do the same thing.

+1000
Uses way too much electricity as a File Server/Time Machine server.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Hi, Power isn't such an issue as I won't be running it all the time, just a couple of hours a day max.

Also, PSU rated wattage is the max capacity, and is high to allow for running more devices inside as well as a powerful GPU and when all is working on intensive processing.

When CPU is at idle, it draws significantly less power. But, yes, a time capsule or similar will draw much less power.

I have read that the server OS is a lot different to the desktop, and so am a little worried as to what the user experience will be when using it and running video/photo editing apps.

Is this concern unfounded?

WhoPhD

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
I have read that the server OS is a lot different to the desktop, and so am a little worried as to what the user experience will be when using it and running video/photo editing apps.

Is this concern unfounded?

Where did you read that? I think it's basically the base OS + a few extra apps that run services.

Your larger concern would be that 10.5 hasn't had a security update in years.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Where did you read that? I think it's basically the base OS + a few extra apps that run services.

Shouldn't be to much of a concern if it's behind a proper firewall.

I'm considering doing the samething with a G5 server.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007

Thinking of a G5 for TM backup as well since I too can get one for free. I really don't care about electricity usage. My LAN would not be connected to the Net so security is not much of a concern either.

1. But what are the advantages of using the server OS over the regular 10.5 OS just for TM?

2. Can someone confirm that a 2TB drive is the limit for a G5?

3. If #2 is true, can a RAID configuration (e.g., two 1.5TB drives RAID 5) overcome a 2TB single drive limitation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.