Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:11 AM   #1
kcossabo
macrumors member

Converting from old Hardware Lion server, to new hardware Mountain Lion Server

Your thoughts on what you would do:

Current install;
1) Mac Pro 1,1 with 4 internal drives, and two 10 disk USB3.0 drive arrays (one is a 2x Raid, the other is JBOD)
2) Running Lion Server
3) It is my DHCP server, DNS, iTunes hub, and Indigo Light Controller for the house.
4) It is not the Homer Internet Gateway, or email.
5) it is the first DNS server listed in the DHCP requests.

Looking to buy a Mac Mini (base configuration), upgrade RAM via Crucial.

Questions:

What would be the best upgrade process? Use the data migration agent or is there a set of files to move over?

Rebuild from scratch is not a 'bad' option except the DHCP table is quite long and would hate to rebuild it.

Any thoughts are appreciated. The Mac Pro 1,1 is having issues starting up after a reboot now, so after 6 years of service it will need to be retired soon.
kcossabo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:19 AM   #2
dimme
macrumors 6502a

If it was my setup, I would start from scrach. I know it is a bit more work but you will be assured that you are not bringing any problems over with you.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:59 AM   #3
kcossabo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimme View Post
If it was my setup, I would start from scrach. I know it is a bit more work but you will be assured that you are not bringing any problems over with you.
Done. Migration Assistant worked...
kcossabo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking