Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
taptic
macrumors 65816

Screen Protecter?

Do I really need a screen protector? Is it that easy to scratch the iPad or iPad mini?
taptic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Depends on how u take care of it. I don't bother with both of mine.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Mdwall
macrumors member

Anything with an unprotected screen that interacts daily with either a stylus or your fingers I feel a screen protector is cheap insurance. Especially if you have two small children or obsessively clean off smudges/dirt.

I have screen protectors on my 3DS, my iPod touch, and my iPad because it makes me feel safer and I'm really used to the tactile feel of a quality protector.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:54 PM   #4
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

I put a Speck on my iPad 1 in June 2010. It was a two pack, I'm just now considering putting on the second one. The screen isn't as glossy as it is when naked, but I have no complaints.

It's one of those to-each-his-own deals. I've always put screen protectors on my smartphones, so putting one on the iPad seemed like a natural step.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:40 PM   #5
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Retina without screen protector is so beautiful, putting it on lower screen quality and touch response.

Endo stories.
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:51 PM   #6
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

No need if you are careful with it.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:14 PM   #7
dthree36
macrumors regular

I have gone both routes... I start naked.... feel I need protection and then put on the screen protector. Over time... I miss the look and feel of the glass so I take it off. I go back on forth constantly but on my mini, I have yet to put one on. Just like a previous posted stated, if you are careful you should be ok but it is that added security if you don't mind a different feel and look of your screen. Hey, even with a screen protector, my iPad 2 screen got damaged so... its your call.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:44 PM   #8
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
Do I really need a screen protector? Is it that easy to scratch the iPad or iPad mini?
Subjective -- just as it is with any device. If you just want random opinions on the matter there are countless threads you can refer to. All this has been endlessly rehashed in prior threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
Is it that easy to scratch the iPad or iPad mini?
It can be. Some easily scratch their screens. Some do not. The experiences of others aren't necessarily indicative of your experiences. You need to take whatever precautions you're willing to take whether that means not using a screen protector, using one, encasing the iPad, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Retina without screen protector is so beautiful, putting it on lower screen quality and touch response.
Depends on the screen protector in question. They're not all the same. Some do, some do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Endo stories.
Where? I see no stories about endos...
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:45 AM   #9
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

I ripped away the screen protector I installed a few days later because it made my screen look like crap. Assuming you have some means of covering the screen (either a case or smart cover, your ipad should be fine). Fingers alone won't scratch the screen.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories