Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1
taptic
macrumors 65816

iPhone vs. Samsung GS III

Hi,

Not trying to start a flame wars here. I really am wondering.

Which would you recommend buying and why?
taptic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Depends.
Do you like iPhones, or do you like Samsungs?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:05 PM   #3
kadillac
macrumors member

The iPhone unless you want a big phone. Samsung took every feature the iPhone had and ghettoized it (S-Voice). Blantantly ripped it. It has NFC but who ever uses that?
kadillac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:05 PM   #4
taptic
macrumors 65816

But doesn't everyone keep saying that the GS3 has better specs? Is this true and doe it matter?
taptic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5
kadillac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
But doesn't everyone keep saying that the GS3 has better specs? Is this true and doe it matter?
Well, better specs as in having a larger screen. We can't tell with the processor whether it's better. Doesn't really matter, it's Android, and as a Nexus 7 owner, Android still lags and it is frustrating. The iPhone and iOS work seamlessly, I feel like Android holds the devices back.
kadillac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:18 PM   #6
taptic
macrumors 65816

So which would you pick?
taptic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Squilly
macrumors 68020

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1491687
Squilly is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

It all boils down to an individual's taste and preference.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Learylvr.
macrumors regular

That's up to you . If you really can't decide, do a search on this forum for Samsung S3 and IPhone 5. This very question is asked every week on this forum. There is all the info your asking in those threads... Take a look. Good luck...
Learylvr. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:29 PM   #10
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Sigh

My friend who bought his Galaxy SIII the same day I bought my iPhone 5 has had repeated problems. Anecdotally his phone randomly reboots, randomly shuts down, all by itself as well and seems to be very erratic in its operation. He had buyers remorse two weeks into ownership. Which is too bad - the screen seems very nice for a droid phone.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:14 AM   #11
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I love my iPhone 5 and would never get an android device.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:16 AM   #12
iALLOUT4eva
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
I love my iPhone 5 and would never get an android device.
I could not agree more.
iALLOUT4eva is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:38 AM   #13
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hi,

You don't give us enough information to be able to make a reasonable recommendation!
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:54 AM   #14
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
What are you using now?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:06 AM   #15
Fed
macrumors 6502

It depends:
  1. Feature-rich, good build quality, slightly clunky interface but nonetheless top of the line? (Samsung)
  2. Dated technology, the BEST build quality and super-fast (yet same-y) interface? (Apple)
I use an iPhone, buying a Samsung next.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:12 AM   #16
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
It depends:
  1. Feature-rich, good build quality, slightly clunky interface but nonetheless top of the line? (Samsung)
  2. Dated technology, the BEST build quality and super-fast (yet same-y) interface? (Apple)
I use an iPhone, buying a Samsung next.
Samsung good build quality? Apple dated technology?

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: clean up
stonyboys is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:24 AM   #17
macher
macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5 and my wife has a GS3. Jelly Bean gives iOS a run for it's money. Actually I like Jelly Bean as much as iOS. However you can't best Apple's hardware compared to the competition. The GS3 seems cheap compared to the iPhone hardware wise.
macher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:01 AM   #18
Sylon
macrumors 68000

I've been considering it as well, but there are a lot of apps and compatibility that the iPhone has that I don't know if I could live without. However, everyone compares the iPhone to the GS3, but what about the Nexus 4? It seems to be getting a lot of rave and it doesn't have to deal with the carrier/maker bloatware. Plus it comes unlocked. The only real downside to it is the storage space options offered. I think, if you were considering an Android device, that the GS3 isn't the only one that can compete.
Sylon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:09 AM   #19
macher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I've been considering it as well, but there are a lot of apps and compatibility that the iPhone has that I don't know if I could live without. However, everyone compares the iPhone to the GS3, but what about the Nexus 4? It seems to be getting a lot of rave and it doesn't have to deal with the carrier/maker bloatware. Plus it comes unlocked. The only real downside to it is the storage space options offered. I think, if you were considering an Android device, that the GS3 isn't the only one that can compete.
The Nexus 4 looks great if you're with a GSM carrier like AT&T though. A Verizon customer wouldn't be able to use the Nexus 4.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:59 AM   #20
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Hi,

10x better

1) Ecosystem:
Fact 1: Better and more exclusive apps. Better and more exclusive games.
Fact 2: Non-exclusive apps and games come out first on the iPhone, in most times months before Android.

Generally speaking, all big and small design houses and game studios either don't give a ratsass about Android or treat it like a second-rate citizen. May be that will change in 5 years but this is how it is now.

2) Security:
Stricter App Store review process and 10 times less malware.

3) Support:
You will be waiting very very long for that new shiny Android update that Google has just rolled out. On iOS? You get the latest and greatest a few seconds later.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could talk about things like elegance, ease of use, details etc but this is all subjective. A nerd for example might not care or appreciate that but the first 3 points I listed are hard facts.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:10 AM   #21
macher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
10x better

1) Ecosystem:
Fact 1: Better and more exclusive apps. Better and more exclusive games.
Fact 2: Non-exclusive apps and games come out first on the iPhone, in most times months before Android.

Generally speaking, all big and small design houses and game studios either don't give a ratsass about Android or treat it like a second-rate citizen. May be that will change in 5 years but this is how it is now.

2) Security:
Stricter App Store review process and 10 times less malware.

3) Support:
You will be waiting very very long for that new shiny Android update that Google has just rolled out. On iOS? You get the latest and greatest a few seconds later.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could talk about things like elegance, ease of use, details etc but this is all subjective. A nerd for example might not care or appreciate that but the first 3 points I listed are hard facts.
The apps on iOS are more polished for sure. The app icons on the GS3 are not uniform in size which makes app screen look weird compared to iOS app screen. My PNC Bank app is smaller and other apps as well.

If I was going Android it would be a pure vanilla one direct from Google.
macher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:06 AM   #22
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Well, you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think the GS3 feels better in your hand and has better build quality than the iPhone 5.

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: clean up
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:03 AM   #23
MuddyPaws1
Banned

This is the wrong forum for asking the question. This is a Apple based forum. Not a smartphone based forum. Anything other than the iPhone is bashed upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
Well, you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think the GS3 feels better in your hand and has better build quality than the iPhone 5.
I think the S3 feels better in my hand, but I have man hands. Do you really think that everyone on the planet has the same size hands? If you think that anything placed on someone's hand feels exactly the same when placed in another person's hand, then you are kidding yourself. I like the size. The iPhone in an OtterBox was good also but still felt small in my hand. I had all the iPhones on launch day except the 5. Still have a couple in the family. I was ready for a truly larger screen for my use. My wife was not. But she sold her 5 and went back to her 4S because of all the issues.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
The apps on iOS are more polished for sure. The app icons on the GS3 are not uniform in size which makes app screen look weird compared to iOS app screen. My PNC Bank app is smaller and other apps as well.

If I was going Android it would be a pure vanilla one direct from Google.
I honestly never noticed that. Just looked at mine to see if you were right. LOL Never bothered me. Might now, not sure.

Thanks
MuddyPaws1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:32 AM   #24
upnorth85
macrumors regular

You did not specify your carrier. You might be interested to know my experience. I was using a year old Samsung Galaxy s2. After Neville Ray, CTO of T-Mobile announced Minneapolis is now reframed with 1900 MHz frequency compatible with 3G on an iPhone 5. When App,e started selling unlocked GSM iPhone 5, I bought. My experience was horrendous due to the spotty and weak 3G coverage by T-mobile. I had missed and dropped calls not to mention very slow Internet. So after 2 weeks I retired my iPhone 5 until T-mobile's coverage improves here in Rogers, MN. I would warn anyone considering to buy an IPhone 5 for use on T-mobile's network. You are better off on AT&T or Verizon. T-mobile is not yet ready though they claim 23 cities are now ready for iPhone 5 covering 100 million population.

Regarding Samsung and iPhone 5, the latter is clearly superior. As soon as I got the phone, my friends who did know I bought a new phone asked me if I bought a new car due to the low background noise. The phone is very smart. I only miss the Swype for typing.

Quote:
Hi,

upnorth85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:40 AM   #25
cynics
macrumors 604

Go play with both and see which you prefer. There both very good phones.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices