Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theod0re

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Hello everybody,

I'm purchasing an iPad 4th gen 16GB WiFi edition off craigslist. I attached two images the seller sent me as a verification after I e-mailed him about it. I looked up the S/N on Apple's website.. and it shows up at least. I'm unsure if there's other ways to tell if it's "stolen". I do see that there's two iPad purchases on the receipt. He stated that he got a discount by buying two and could pocket some cash selling the 2nd one.

What else do I need to do? Gonna meet in a public area (starbucks I'm guessing) obviously and test it out on WiFi. Also verify that the S/N on the iPad matches the receipt/box. And that's about it huh? Anything else I should look for? Is there a "registration" process for the iPad coming straight out of a box?

Thanks!

Attachments

• WP_20121216_002.jpg
    WP_20121216_002.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 470
  • WP_20121216_003.jpg
    WP_20121216_003.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 416

Theod0re

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
460$. Seemed like a sick deal for a brand new iPad in the box, tax free, without having to go out of my way.

Wouldn't happen to be cheaper elsewhere?

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Hahaha

You just answered your own question!

If he bought two for $489 (not even factoring in taxes), he "saved" $20 with the "discount"...he would be LOSING money selling to you for $460, not making some "extra cash"...ITS STOLEN or FAKE

$489 x 2 = $968

$489 + $460 = $949

He LOSES $19 selling it to you...Go spend $40 more and get a legit iPad...

Last edited:

Theod0re

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Welp, I took that into account. I didn't know if some other discount took place at the bottom of the receipt that was not shown. Or a potential rebate. The receipt also says at the top "shopmyexchange.com". Meaning, he got it on a military base, meaning I'm more likely to trust (I'm in the military).

It's 460$ tax-free. I'm saving 40 bucks plus tax, whatever that'd be.

EDIT: If I verify the serial number, and take it out of the box to test before buying (which he said he would be willing to let me do) how would it be "stolen" or "fake"?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Just make sure he gives you the one in the pic and not an iPad 3 or something.

I do find it weird that he got a discount buying two of them at the PX. I have not heard anything about that. Also, why not return it to the PX and get his full money back.

Let us know how it goes, make sure is a public place, hell, meet up at the food court of the base or at Penfed and check the machine there.

Theod0re

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
That's the plan. To verify it's actually an iPad 4, and that the serial number matches that of the picture/box.

Like I said, I already checked Apple's website and all it did was verify that the iPad existed and was a 4th gen, it didn't mention anything about stolen. I also searched that powermax website database and it didn't show it up as stolen there either. I was planning to just meet inside a Starbucks or some ****. Definitely inside.

I was just asking if there was anything else I could/should do/look at to verify legitimacy.

Last edited:

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Welp, I took that into account. I didn't know if some other discount took place at the bottom of the receipt that was not shown. Or a potential rebate. The receipt also says at the top "shopmyexchange.com". Meaning, he got it on a military base, meaning I'm more likely to trust (I'm in the military).

It's 460$ tax-free. I'm saving 40 bucks plus tax, whatever that'd be.

EDIT: If I verify the serial number, and take it out of the box to test before buying (which he said he would be willing to let me do) how would it be "stolen" or "fake"?

He probably got a good discount on aafes and is selling them for a profit. I don't agree with that as its abusing our exchange privilege (navy myself) and if he gets caught he will lose his ability to use any exchange. (Not sure how that works, maybe it's a website only ban)

At any rate use the iPad in front of him before exchanging money but like I said he probably got a deep discount and selling it for a profit. :-\

Edit: don't let the iPad out of your sight so he doesn't do a switcharoo

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
That's the plan. To verify it's actually an iPad 4, and that the serial number matches that of the picture/box.

Like I said, I already checked Apple's website and all it did was verify that the iPad existed and was a 4th gen, it didn't mention anything about stolen. I also searched that powermax website database and it didn't show it up as stolen there either. I was planning to just meet inside a Starbucks or some ****. Definitely inside.

I was just asking if there was anything else I could/should do/look at to verify legitimacy.

Simple, open it up in front of him and if there's a lightning cable port instead of 30 pin you're golden like pony boy.

Also, I've known military people who use financing offers from the star card or best buy to buy popular items they can resell without taking a massive hit to get 18-24 months no interest through the store for product and are getting cash from the buyer.

So $40 to finance almost 1k for 18-24 months is nothing if you are on the spot for cash.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Someone needs to report this David Hall. When all of the Ipad Mini's were sold out my exchange had 100s of them for 324.99. I could have mad 50 bucks profit on Ebay, but I didn't because shopping at the exchange is a privelage that you should not abuse.

In the case of this guy

He probably opened up an exchange credit line that day which gave him 10% off his entire purchase. That is the only discount I could think of.

I doubt the Ipad is stolen and it is not your problem if the guy is unethical or not. I say buy it.

I love Craigslist, I just bought a TV for 750.00 with a receipt from 2 months ago in which they paid 1500.00 for it!!

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Someone needs to report this David Hall. When all of the Ipad Mini's were sold out my exchange had 100s of them for 324.99. I could have mad 50 bucks profit on Ebay, but I didn't because shopping at the exchange is a privelage that you should not abuse.

In the case of this guy

He probably opened up an exchange credit line that day which gave him 10% off his entire purchase. That is the only discount I could think of.

I doubt the Ipad is stolen and it is not your problem if the guy is unethical or not. I say buy it.

I love Craigslist, I just bought a TV for 750.00 with a receipt from 2 months ago in which they paid 1500.00 for it!!

He only bought 2, and if he did it for my said reason above, I don't blame him. That's like 2% APR.

He's not scalping them, he's charging less.

Also I wish our exchange sold minis. They only have LTE minis :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.