Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
iantravell
macrumors newbie

iMac for video editing?

I am thinking of getting a 27" iMac and want to know if configuring it with 32GB of memory will allow me to edit video comfortably (able to scrub in realtime) on it using Adobe CS6 etc.
iantravell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:45 AM   #2
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

I'll know tuesday
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:48 AM   #3
WrrN
macrumors regular

I don't use Adobe Premier, but I think it would work fine. I use FCP7 on a 2006 MBP and it runs without a glitch. Yes, it's slow to render, but edits run beautifully. I imagine the new iMac would outperform my system by at least 3 times.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:04 AM   #4
macuserpl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrrN View Post
I don't use Adobe Premier, but I think it would work fine. I use FCP7 on a 2006 MBP and it runs without a glitch. Yes, it's slow to render, but edits run beautifully. I imagine the new iMac would outperform my system by at least 3 times.
I think it is going to be working fine. I'm using FCP on my MacBook Pro, so I think that on iMac 32GB RAM it' gonna be amazing.
macuserpl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantravell View Post
I am thinking of getting a 27" iMac and want to know if configuring it with 32GB of memory will allow me to edit video comfortably (able to scrub in realtime) on it using Adobe CS6 etc.
It's not all about the RAM, and 32GB isn't going to make much of a difference than 8GB.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:50 PM   #6
chevalier433
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderz View Post
It's not all about the RAM, and 32GB isn't going to make much of a difference than 8GB.
Ram is very important in Adobe CS6.
chevalier433 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier433 View Post
RAM is important for every application.

You won't be able to run a computer without RAM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:21 PM   #8
imacanon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
RAM is important for every application.

You won't be able to run a computer without RAM.
really??? useless comment.

of course RAM is needed, but maybe not 32gb...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacanon View Post
really??? useless comment.

of course RAM is needed, but maybe not 32gb...
Did you read the other replies? Or even the quote in that latest one?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:26 PM   #10
RichiMac
macrumors member

Now, now, let's not fight over who has the bigger ram! lol
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Thuc5dides
macrumors newbie

The answer is yes.
Thuc5dides is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:03 AM   #12
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

Did some premiere and after effects renders, and AE was maxing out my 32GB of ram! I'm sure if I only had 16 it would have only used 16, but I guess 32 made it render more quickly/efficiently?

Overall I'm very pleased with the machine for editing (I've done very little editing in my life so I'm not even an amateur at it, but maybe this machine will encourage me to get into it more).

Everything plays smoothly in real time and no problem doing other things without lag while premiere was rendering (AE was not quite as nice since it used all of my resources)
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoffa View Post
I've done very little editing in my life so I'm not even an amateur at it, but maybe this machine will encourage me to get into it more
If you don't edit much then why spend the money on 32GB RAM?

Not even professionals bother getting all that RAM...

People don't seem to realise how much 32GB RAM is. My iPad has 32GB storage...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:20 AM   #14
cwazytech
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ok. Then what would justify the need for 32gig of ram?

"There is no such thing as too much Hard Drive space."
cwazytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:22 AM   #15
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you don't edit much then why spend the money on 32GB RAM?

Not even professionals bother getting all that RAM...

People don't seem to realise how much 32GB RAM is. My iPad has 32GB storage...
I got the ram because I DO spend all day, almost every day in photoshop, illustrator, etc and spend a good bit of time in aperture

I currently use 8gb of that ram as a ramdisk for photoshop to use as a scratch disk, so that brings me down to 24gb... aperture easily uses 4+ on its own since I've got a photo library of 30,000+ pictures. I've wanted to do video for some time, but I could barely do any video work on the old iMac and when I did I had to have everything else closed. Now I can mess around with video in between real work without interrupting my workflow.

as cheap as 32GB is, there is no reason NOT to max it out if you'll use it
mchoffa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:41 AM   #16
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazytech View Post
Ok. Then what would justify the need for 32gig of ram?
Perhaps if you're running a server or rendering a lot of 3D stuff (Where you wouldn't go for a Mac anyway).

And no, 'future-proofing' isn't an excuse on the 27" because it's possible to upgrade RAM later.

You'd be better off going for 8GB right now, then later, when RAM gets cheaper, go up a level, maybe to 12GB.

If you're getting the 21.5" though, RAM isn't upgradable easily, so if you think you're gonna need 16GB one day, go for the 16GB.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I currently use 8gb of that ram as a ramdisk for photoshop to use as a scratch disk
That's pointless. The scratch disk on Photoshop is only used when you don't have enough RAM to perform a task. You run out of RAM, so Photoshop temporarily uses the allocated disk as RAM, slow but surely. Assigning the scratch disk to the RAM is just going to cause problems for other applications.

Quote:
aperture easily uses 4+ on its own since I've got a photo library of 30,000+ pictures
That 4GB is probably inactive RAM, not RAM actually being used. It's just being reserved for the application in case it needs it, but if another application needs RAM, Aperture will give up its reserved RAM for that application.

Quote:
as cheap as 32GB is, there is no reason NOT to max it out if you'll use it
32GB isn't very cheap, especially through Apple. But you're right; if you're going to use it all, there's no reason not to get it...other than the fact that only very few things will need such an amount...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:42 PM   #18
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That's pointless. The scratch disk on Photoshop is only used when you don't have enough RAM to perform a task. You run out of RAM, so Photoshop temporarily uses the allocated disk as RAM, slow but surely. Assigning the scratch disk to the RAM is just going to cause problems for other applications.
Everything I've read says otherwise. For example:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4147073

I'm no expert on that end of things, but if lots of users are saying that PS uses the scratch disk no matter what you do, then I'll use a ramdisk until I get my external SSD

Quote:
That 4GB is probably inactive RAM, not RAM actually being used. It's just being reserved for the application in case it needs it, but if another application needs RAM, Aperture will give up its reserved RAM for that application.
I keep a monitor running to see how much ram is in use and how much is free at all times in my menu bar (because my old iMac was bogging down constantly). When I said I was using it all up when After Effects was rendering, I really meant that all of it was in use. I got down to 50MB free at one point out of the whole 32GB. As soon as the render was complete, I went back to 24GB free. Aperture couldn't even open if I had Chrome/Photoshop open on my last system. I could predictably make my mac completely freeze up by opening a few memory hog applications at the same time.

Quote:
32GB isn't very cheap, especially through Apple. But you're right; if you're going to use it all, there's no reason not to get it...other than the fact that only very few things will need such an amount...
I thought the same thing a few years back when I bought my last iMac and thought I wouldn't need 6GB of ram. Surely 4GB was enough... and until last week when the new one got here, I was fighting my iMac just to get work done.

16GB probably will be fine for most people for a few more years, but I don't want to have "just enough" since it's only $160 for 32gb right now (or $140 if you got it on cyber monday)
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:08 PM   #19
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Everything I've read says otherwise. For example:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4147073

I'm no expert on that end of things, but if lots of users are saying that PS uses the scratch disk no matter what you do, then I'll use a ramdisk until I get my external SSD
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photosho...b64-748aa.html

Quote:
I got down to 50MB free at one point out of the whole 32GB. As soon as the render was complete, I went back to 24GB free.
That's most likely inactive RAM.

If you click the 'System Memory' tab on Activity Monitor, you'll see the different types of RAM in the lower left corner. The picture I have attached isn't a good example because there's barely any "Inactive" RAM, but sometimes the "Free" will plummet, but there'll be a high number for "Inactive".

To the right of that, there's also "Page outs", which tells you how much memory from the RAM has had to be transferred to the hard drive because there isn't enough. Mine's at 0, because I have enough RAM to cope with whatever I've done today.

Only if you have some data there do you actually require more RAM.

I suggest you turn your computer off every night if you don't already, this will purge the RAM entirely. If you keep it on, 'memory leaks' will occur. Often I will restart my computer before beginning any large tasks, that way any hidden applications will halt (Like Preview; Mountain Lion will keep Preview in the background for a while if you've used it, but keep it off the dock)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Memory Usage.png
Views:	49
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	385197  
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:28 PM   #20
tears2040
macrumors 6502

Converting, Compressing multiple HD files and rewrapping to other codecs will eat through ANY amount of ram. Couple that with Coloring and Exporting through Red Cine and you're done.

32gb is a good amount so is 16gb, but I can eat through that Ram easily in a couple of hrs. Not always, but on certain days I easily have to restart 5+ times a day.
tears2040 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:58 PM   #21
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photosho...b64-748aa.html

That's most likely inactive RAM.

If you click the 'System Memory' tab on Activity Monitor, you'll see the different types of RAM in the lower left corner. The picture I have attached isn't a good example because there's barely any "Inactive" RAM, but sometimes the "Free" will plummet, but there'll be a high number for "Inactive".

To the right of that, there's also "Page outs", which tells you how much memory from the RAM has had to be transferred to the hard drive because there isn't enough. Mine's at 0, because I have enough RAM to cope with whatever I've done today.

Only if you have some data there do you actually require more RAM.

I suggest you turn your computer off every night if you don't already, this will purge the RAM entirely. If you keep it on, 'memory leaks' will occur. Often I will restart my computer before beginning any large tasks, that way any hidden applications will halt (Like Preview; Mountain Lion will keep Preview in the background for a while if you've used it, but keep it off the dock)

I am shutting down every night since I'm running 3 displays now. No use wasting all that power, and I have a freshly booted OS at the start of my workday.

I attached my activity monitor during an After Effects render just to show you how it uses it.

I also understand how photoshop is supposed to use ram and then scratch disk, but the general consensus seems to be that it actually does use scratch disk even before allocated ram is used and that using ramdisk or ssd scratch disk helps with that a lot. I haven't had to open big photoshop files since I got this iMac so I haven't been able to see how it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-22 at 3.51. 58PM.png
Views:	58
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	385209  
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:49 PM   #22
dany74m
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier433 View Post
Yes 8GB is the minimum for using decently CS6, I raccomend 32gb considering that now the ram is very affordable its gonna make a big difference. Who edit usually keeps opened many programs in the same time so your workflow will benefit of extra ram. I edit with my 2011 IMAC 32gb , FULL HD footage very smoothly, so the new Imac will just do better.
dany74m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:54 AM   #23
chevalier433
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany74m View Post
Yes 8GB is the minimum for using decently CS6, I raccomend 32gb considering that now the ram is very affordable its gonna make a big difference. Who edit usually keeps opened many programs in the same time so your workflow will benefit of extra ram. I edit with my 2011 IMAC 32gb , FULL HD footage very smoothly, so the new Imac will just do better.
Yes specially after effects and photoshop.The most important I think is hard disk speed and you need 3 disk to edit properly app disk,scratch disk or render disk and footage disk.
chevalier433 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:17 PM   #24
Ctrl2k
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantravell View Post
32GB of memory has little to do with it. I was able to scrub in real time on the 2011 27" iMac with the AMD 6970, never mind with my newer machine.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:19 PM   #25
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

RAM is not everything for video editing. A fast i7 CPU and a fast Video Card is more important than having 32gb of ram. 16 is sufficient. Spend the extra on cpu and vid card.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac